Tagging beats: Yay or nay?

NEWjack250

In regards to e-mailing beats to more well-known artists, I've read some posts on here saying "if you want to be taken seriously, don't tag your beats".

1. What's the rationale behind this point of view?

2. Should I tag my beats? Why or why not?

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter.. if someone is going to take the beat they are going to take the beat regardless

Doesn't really matter.. if someone is going to take the beat they are going to take the beat regardless

Si amigo if the beat is superb they'll take it and perhaps ask you to remove them , it's bout the beat first couldn't agree more .

It's always good to acknowledge the producer but do not over do it. Nonetheless, If your beat delivers, then the tags wouldn't really matter.

Last edited:
Simple if a well known artist always has beats in rotation the artist can easily get annoyed and skip it. Some actually have signature sounds in their production rather than a vocal tag. I never got why people would use the same rise sound as just blaze used or the sound luger used its like giving someone else credit for your beat. Cardiak uses a flatline sound and most artists probably wont find that sort of thing annoying.

Tagging your beats stops or may prevent some people from using them, and other producers selling your shit like they made it themselves if done right. Major artists jack beats all the time, underground too. Its somewhat like a video and the logo at the bottom right of the screen. People don't care these days, your beats could of been jacked by hundreds of people you don't know about, and probably will never hear about. Its your decision and how you market your stuff. Its tough to decide sometimes to send your beat out to someone and don't know if its going to be used or not when people don't respond to emails. Then you think by not getting a response they're not going to use it, so you push it to somebody else and the first person does use it...now its a mess.

Copyright is the way...still your not always going to be aware of who's on your beat, shit could be way in Europe somewhere.

In my opinion you absolutely need to tag your beats if your sending them to people you dont know personally and even some of them. You shouldn't even put your music on the net if you dont have the copyright to them. It absolutely matters if you tag them or not. Just think why do businesses hire flashlight cops? its to discourage the criminal from doing what they do.

Nothing is full prove but is lazy as hell not to even try.

And on another note. I know im not the only on that feels like its so hard to make sells on the net.
but why would a artist by beats when people send them free beats. and sell beats for 75 cent.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of putting together a demo tape (cd) and I've been kinda in between tagging or not. I decided that tags throughout the track are ****ing annoying, but I'm gonna just throw a unique interesting tag at the beginning. Kinda like old school Just Blaze or Alc. I know they could still just take it and loop the meat of the beat, but if they're gonna go to that then they're not serious so **** em.

Or put it at the beginning of ever song and at the beginning of ever hook. Shit i think im going to do that myself.

I put acapellas over all my beats for demos. Not only are they more likely to want to bump a song in their car or show other people, but then they can't steal it.

That's a pretty good idea, never thought of that, but then they won't be able to flow over it to see if they dig the beat or not..

I always thought tagging beats is just creative. I would because, like The Runners and Drumma Boy and such, people will recognize it and know it's from you.

ppl will steal what they can sad but true...tag unless you're dealing with a serious artist,label....ppl need not rely on soundclick alone
TAXI: record deals, publishing deal, film TV placement, recording your music, songwriting
I provide services that get producers more publicity and profits

I do business coaching and consulting
my process works as so
1.create a relationship with you(business owner)
2.help you birth a vision, or refine your vision(brainstorming sessions)
3.help you lay out a plan
4.help you stay motivated and on a timeline
5.show you how to enjoy your success and build upon it

also providing coach/consulting on
marketing
salesmanship
professionalism
sure fire networking
faith and entertainment
leadership
time management/organization

reminder results are determined by your actions

HolyLamb Media & Entertainment Coaching and Consulting
Let's build a relationship to build your success

contact me here
or at
holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com

I would tag my Beats but i can never make A good Watermark weather is someone speaking or A Synth created on like Cardiak

It all depends form the situation. If you are on SoundClick trying to sell beats and at the same time putting them on free download most def TAG your stuff. You don't wanna loose credits! Always secure your projects no matter what.

Back