Someone else with your name?

BRIX

Have you ever found other artists with your name?

I admit I'm not young nor blown.
But I started rapping and composing really young, age 9. I'm 36.
And at the time, nobody in the world had my pseudonym, nobody.
In fact, people used to laugh at me for it.
I published my first works for sale very young too.
Although at the time, I didn't register all my copyrights. But I have some proof.
Over a decade ago I started a legit company and service mark.
One of my marks expired (didn't know they expire) but I maintained first creative and commercial use,
as a songwriter, performer, label, etc.
Ever since the internet got up, I was on it. Even when social networks started.
Most at the time, I got my name on most of them. Then I slacked.
Well in the past an artist surfaced in Germany, BRixx. She did a song with Mos Def.
At the time, my SM was valid but I wasn't an International company. I pursued it.
I was told it's non-usa so I had no jurisdiction, my SM was regional and federal. Fine.
Now the past 5 years there are brix's everywhere with different spellings and some even spell it the same.
No respect at all, but they'll say they never heard of me but never even searched ASCAP or USLOC.
Even producers and DJ's. I just do my thing, but my business objectives aren't the same.
Some of these artists go for commercial success. So it's like, it seems they are doing more with it.
And people know them for the name, not me, because they do more publicity and profiling things.
But my name is still my legit company name, I have proof of first use, I have proof of being in commerce.

Then if I approach about it, whole groups of people start talking sh*t or blocking my pages and stuff.

But why should I change my name? I had it first.

I'm not in any position to pay even my own lawyer who asks for thousands of dollars.

Never thought after decades and being clearly in music databases that I'd have to defend my own name.

^^^What's good? Nice to see you up here.

Honestly, the only thing you can do is push your brand forward while establishing you're not the same artist you're being mistaken for, or pursue legal action. It happens, especially when hundreds of new guys decide they want to begin making music a day. Sooner or later, someone reuses a name, and they're not gonna respect that you had it originally even with all your paperwork correct.

Thanks deRanged, I need some sanctuary right now. Social Networks are under my skin right now.

Back