So an A&R Team contacted me...

tomkillsjerry

I really have no idea how this all works i've just been producing for a few months, and an A&R team contacted me about taking some of my tracks to labels. Any advice would be awesome.

Have you researched the "team" to see if they are legit?

I'd probably start there.

haha yea I post my songs on Reverbnation.com and its their people so they are reputable. IM not naive to think its easy or record and promotion deals are just going to fall out of the sky. they emailed and called me and asked if it was ok for them to do so I said why not?

Last edited:
Exciting if it's legit. There have been some threads on here lately with the same story, and many seem to end with the "team" asking for payment at some point. Just find out as much as you can either way.

oh yea def not trying to get robbed but they are a pretty big website (3 million users). But we'll see where it goes. I just like making music so being famous or making money isnt why i do it.

what are the real details? reverbnation is not a label so it is unlikely that they have an A&R department let alone people who offer to shop your work

I thought it might have been this one that I got in a PM a few days ago:

Online Music Licensing

Hi!

I'm Xenia from TOMATOSHARK company, an online music licensing service. We are looking for creative composers at the moment, interested in licensing their music worldwide. If you're interested I could give you more detailed information about our service. Please contact me with email xenia@tomatoshark.com

This is the text from the actual email.
"The ReverbNation A&R team connects promising artists with executives at record labels, brands, TV and movie producers, and video game creators.

Your song "Snow Down" caught the attention of our team and we are currently revieweing it for commercial application. If we identify appropriate vehicles for your music, we will contact you This process generally takes several weeks. We have protected your songs from changes during this time."

i talked to a couple people who received the same kind of thing on another forum. they said pretty much what happened is Reverbnation shopped their songs around and they ended up being a lease contract where reverbnation took 10% of the agreement. one was used on a commercial the other was used in a video game.

What I dont understand is why people worry about this kind of stuff? Why not send the beats and get it over with? This and all of the other same threads it really says " i havent copyrighted and registered my work" and that is on you. Either way youll make money if they use it or steal it and its a little harsh but most of us dont have any credits or foundation to be worrying like that we are just batteling with ourselves. We have to know when WE are valuing or devaluing our own work. For starting out every opportunity should be taken and as long as you have the project file with the date of creation stamp you are protected.

And reverbnation works with ingroves fontana a nice distribution company you never know

Last edited by a moderator:
First off congratulations! Any email from anyone liking your music is a great feeling and motivational boost.
With my experience A&R agents will contact you via email, phone, facebook, or whatever platform you are on to reach you. It has happened to a few of my close friends in the industry and now they have specific contracts for licensing and selling their music in the Industry, Although don't jump the gun so soon. Sites like Reverb Nation main purpose is to promote music on THEIR website. Find out what they are looking for from you before you sign any documents. They want to take your music to labels? Ask if a label representative could contact you for more information on what they want with your music. Don't quote me on this but labels usually care more about the profit they could get from your music rather then you receiving any profit either financially or recognition wise.
My main advice that I got from the Industry is if you want to grow your career, sacrifice your music for a chance to have connections with A&R's and other music lobbyists. Make sure your music is protected by signing up with a performing rights publishing company. Regardless you have intellectual copyrights on your music as long as you have it on your DAW.

Hope this helps. You could contact me with any other questions you have.
One thing I learned from the industry is that no one is "Self-Made"... Everyone has gotten help from Everyone in the industry... so pass it on!

Jason Kellner
Film Composer/Orchestrator/Arranger/Music Copyist/Pianist
Montreal, Canada

For starting out every opportunity should be taken and as long as you have the project file with the date of creation stamp you are protected.

Opportunities are one thing. Scams are another (although I doubt ReverbNation would risk it's rep on a scam). I also say get your music out there as much as possible, BUT when they start asking for fees and CC #'s, you need to know whether to bail or not.

Last edited:
Hope this helps. You could contact me with any other questions you have.
One thing I learned from the industry is that no one is "Self-Made"... Everyone has gotten help from Everyone in the industry... so pass it on!

Jason Kellner
Film Composer/Orchestrator/Arranger/Music Copyist/Pianist
Montreal, Canada

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. And, your right it did kind of bring me a motivational spark and added a little justification to all of the time (and Money!) i've poured into this "hobby" of mine.

Back