So this just happened...

CurryBeats

1/2 of LoudPack
My beat partner made a cover for Lil Reese's upcoming Supa Savage mixtape. He sent it off to his booking email, and got a reply back saying that Reese wanted to use it. They also said that they needed his name to be bigger and another artwork for the back. My beat partner responds asking for compensation if he's going to complete the work - $100. Reese's people come back saying they're no longer interested.

Then Lil Reese posts the cover on his instagram, giving the design credit to none other than "sum nigga".

Proof: Instagram and https://twitter.com/thisiskushbeats/status/361998840775208961

I guess I'm just surprised at my own naivete - to think that a world famous rapper could afford $100 for a mixape cover, when dozens of not-even-really-well-known rappers had paid us for covers in the past. I really thought the "give me freebies" game was for the youngstas. Reminder that this is the guy who allegedly has 8.3m views on WorldStar in the last 3 days: Video: Lil Reese (Feat. Fredo Santana & Lil Durk) - Wassup

This sucks, hopefully everything works out. Few suggestions

1) never give anyone hi res file or work that isn't watermarked
2) don't do any work without an upfront fee

"Always" use a contract or upfront fee when doing freelance work

It separates the bullshit from the legit.

Doing music for indie games, this is something I had to learn also and people will take you more seriously

damn dat sucks.. unless you have a big name, people won't respect you..

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

wait i just read his post.. he said it's not the official cover... so you can't even be mad.. if he never posted it... no one would have ever seen it and you would have wasted your time making it...

damn dat sucks.. unless you have a big name, people won't respect you..

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

wait i just read his post.. he said it's not the official cover... so you can't even be mad.. if he never posted it... no one would have ever seen it and you would have wasted your time making it...

He said he was gonna use it before we asked for payment; then he put it on his instagram, thats what had me annoyed.

Congratulations. You are gaining a positive reputation for high quality work. You got your name out there!

The money will come eventually. Keep grinding!

Kush Beats is dope with the artwork. Hopefully they come to their senses and pay the man for his work and give him his credits.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Turns out it might just be the official cover for the design. When Lil Reese initially requested the design on Twitter, I decided to do it for fun. I listened to his music a lot and I was a fan. When they replied saying they liked the design, I was ecstatic that they even replied. I'm thinking that this will give me a lot of exposure which it did. For me, I thought that was payment enough to have 200k followers see my design with my Twitter username on the cover. I must have had over 10 people in the past day hit me up for cover designs. To be honest, I didn't want their design to be some half-assed cover, so I finished it and sent them the final cover, but I did tag my name on it.
In the future if they ever hit me up for designs, better believe I'm going to charge them.

Back