Running A Label In Your Home

well you better get your management skills together because alot of singer/songwriters already have the tons they need to succeed as far as getting gigs and putting their own stuff out..
you have to be able to offer them something they can't do on their own
and that's
1.connections
2.promotion/marketing

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

already have the tools*

That's what the classes would be for.

If you're think the classes will teach you what you need to know, you're sadly mistaken. When it comes to business, our school systems are behind. However, you'll definitely get a much needed lesson in business structure and basic operations. I strongly suggest for you to step up your game by starting your label before school starts. You're going to need the head start; especially, if you plan to have a record label. Not only that, but you're going to need the experience if artist are to take your label seriously.

one chose your city right away
find a job online before moving to the city
what you need to offer an artist
1.marketing/promotion campaign budget they can't attain
2.connections (gigs/venues they can't get themselves
3.tour gigs budget(that mean transportation,food/drink/lodging out of your pockets)recoupable of course lol

nashville is great for what it is but also saturated city for music(but I would for sure visit it and find out more about it)
houston(known to be the national capital for live music I think is the better choice)TEXAS is a huge state remember that is alot of potential venues

berkelee is a great idea if you're actually taking classes on campus otherwise you can spend that money on business equipment and pinpoint learning from another professional some thing ppl will charge for other things will be free
now I'm a huge advocate of education I AM THE INFORMATION GATHERING EXPERT
so information is very important to me
so if you have to money take those classes but learn from someone one on one too, pick their brains for anything great info

I have some great information on one of the best tour circuits in the country but that gem I need payment for
but AS ALWAYS THIS INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND ON THE INTERNET will you find it maybe
the right blogs,the right keywords into the search engine
Once you chose your city the groundwork starts
1.get to know, I MEAN REALLY know the venue owners offer to do anything for free to get into their good graces
2.get to know all the Radio DJs, club DJs,music journalists no matter how small-time you think they are,anyone involved in the presenting of music for your city,region
3.be professional have concrete ways of keeping in contact with potential acts,music professionals on a regular basis(online and offline)
do be afraid to send a small gift download card of one of the music journalists favorite artists
you can find this out by getting to know these professionals personally

and shortly you will have ppl calling you wanting to get to know more about you and wanting to be your assoicate
now that's game and I have much more for those looking to enhance their opportunities for success click on the banner in my sig. for a helping/knowledgeable hand
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

Last edited:
Right now I don't have any money to do anything. I've been back and forth on whether or not to leave school. I don't think classes would help me when it came to running a label so I wanted to drop out, but I don't know what kind of job would hire me to work for them without a degree.
Everyone here has been giving me good advice, but no one has really helped me outline a step by step process. I've been applying to jobs for weeks, but no one is hiring, and I have absolutely no money right now, so I can't just go ahead and start it. I would like some good step by step advice, but it doesn't seem like anyone is willing to give it, and fataltone seems to come on this forum and try and charge people for everything.

Right now I don't have any money to do anything. I've been back and forth on whether or not to leave school. I don't think classes would help me when it came to running a label so I wanted to drop out, but I don't know what kind of job would hire me to work for them without a degree.
Everyone here has been giving me good advice, but no one has really helped me outline a step by step process. I've been applying to jobs for weeks, but no one is hiring, and I have absolutely no money right now, so I can't just go ahead and start it. I would like some good step by step advice, but it doesn't seem like anyone is willing to give it, and fataltone seems to come on this forum and try and charge people for everything.

There's no step by step advice for starting any business, record labels included. If there were, everyone wold be doing it. Instead of complaining about people charging for their services, you should be setting specific goals for your label. Your going to need to think, read, plan, and do everything a business owner would do. As a record label owner, you'll be responsible for hiring people and making payroll. You'll also have to handle administrative duties, marketing, promo, sales, budgeting, financing, business networking and more.

It's obvious that you need help; however, you can't afford the help you need. Get a job so you can, that's the realist advice I can give you. This music business has no instruction manual, so there are no clear cut instructions. You're going to need money, we all charge for training people as well as other services.

Learn, grow, and work your a*s off.

Isn't the point of this site to help each other? We shouldn't be charging one another for advice. It's not like he was gonna do research for me and go out of his way. He would just be typing info he already knew.

FP is [what you make it], it was never intended to be a daycare.

There are people on here who offer professional services, and once you get in the realm of professionalism you pay people for their services just as you'd want people to pay for yours if you were a professional. Fataltone is trying to start a consultation business so of course, eventually, he was going to hit you with that as he sees you as being a potential client later.

you typed some shit earlier about learning graphic classes to avoid paying web-designers and shit, which is honestly, a useless skill that a "record label owner" needs. Real companies outsource to professionals, Graphics and Webdesign work aren't expensive, even by "job-less" standards, lol.

Man I think you need to organize this shit better, set small short-term goals to help you do this. it isn't going to happen overnight. Probably a 5-year plan just to get the cogs and machinery oiled up.

I'm trying to organize it, but I keep getting all kinds of advice from different people (not on this forum) and some contradict one another. Those graphic design courses could help, because every dollar counts, and I could also charge other people that need it. So it would be good extra income for me.

I mean Graphic Design is just as much a lifelong journey and talent as musicianship/producing is.

Even the people who have websites on here that "did it themselves" . . . you can tell them niggas ain't talented with graphics, don't have the eye for it and for the most part were just keeping investment costs low.

People like DJNice and Liam though, are "Graphic Designer" just like Me, Ac20gp and DjCas are "Music Producers".

It's the equivalent of a unknown rapper getting FL Studio and cranking out his own lil' shit as opposed to going to the local established producer.

What I'm thinking is things will be cheaper if I got a partner to do this with me. Like a family member. I know my cousin wants to run a business when finishes college, but he's only a freshman.

Go for it man, you have my blessings with it. It's going to take time to build and that's coming from someone just trying to start a mere production company

Isn't the point of this site to help each other? We shouldn't be charging one another for advice. It's not like he was gonna do research for me and go out of his way. He would just be typing info he already knew.

Like I said, there's plenty of info in these threads. Start reading and keep reading until you get it. Get the consultation or don't, it doesn't matter to me either way because I'm already in business. And as far as help is concerned, you're already getting it. Quit worrying about what other people charge and handle your business, and if you don't think you're getting the help you need from the FP community, help yourself.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

What I'm thinking is things will be cheaper if I got a partner to do this with me. Like a family member. I know my cousin wants to run a business when finishes college, but he's only a freshman.

You're thinking to much about the process, when you should be taking the necessary steps toward building a record label. BTW, you shouldn't be concerned with what's cheaper or more expensive at this point... you don't have any money. Instead, you should be looking for work and building online/offline business relationships with artist, producers, audio engineers, recording studio managers, etc.

Last edited:
Like I said, there's plenty of info in these threads. Start reading and keep reading until you get it. Get the consultation or don't, it doesn't matter to me either way because I'm already in business. And as far as help is concerned, you're already getting it. Quit worrying about what other people charge and handle your business, and if you don't think you're getting the help you need from the FP community, help yourself.

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

You're thinking to much about the process, when you should be taking the necessary steps toward building a record label. BTW, you shouldn't be concerned with what's cheaper or more expensive at this point... you don't have any money. Instead, you should be looking for work and building online/offline business relationships with artist, producers, audio engineers, recording studio managers, etc.
networking only cost,what???????????? your time
what city are you in by the way???

step by step process takes alot of time and energy...no one going to take 10 weeks with you to start your business for free
I know the job market is tight right now... I had to use my unemployment insurance last summer but I have a job history too over 12 yrs at my first job,4 yrs at my second,now I'm at my three job(not career).

so be patience stay online applying for jobs..well in my city most want you to go online for the application process
McDonald or Burger King aren't hiring??? I'm not trying to be funny but 6months most want a year of experience doing some kind of work
I don't know what your job history is right now..so try lower level jobs and get a job history then apply for better paying jobs..even while working at places like Burger King

I can give you a hour of free consulting which will steer you in a direction you need
click the banner in my sig. for more info....
and there are tons of blogs on what you want..but they do limit the information because of course they too need to make money off of their information and energy...

Last edited:
You've never heard of my city, and there's nothing in my town. I'm leaving school and just gonna keep applying to jobs, hoping that I can actually get one, and just use that money for everything. Gonna live at home till the end of the year then move out. Save enough money to pay an entire lease at once then move out, get another job, and use most of my money towards the label.

I been doing this as well
check out your goodwill warehouse/outlets they sell stuff by the pound once you get to 20 pounds each pound is $1,once you get to 50 pound each pound is $0.76

wow you must be in ghost town yeah ppl talk down on Omaha,NE because we are only 500,000 ppl but it's amazing place
you don't have any thift stores? they work too find cheap,sell double the price...because every little bit helps
have you had a job before???? my kids will for sure get a small part time jobs and summer jobs in high school just for job history even though that's more than ten years away lol.

Our town is around 20,000. We don't have any thrift stores. We have one main street that has all out stores but it's stuff like Walgreens and CVS. I had a job 2 years ago in a warehouse but that place isn't hiring and it's too far. I've been looking for a job for weeks. I'm thinking working for a year so I have a year's worth of rent would be good. And I could still work when I moved and live comfortably while I do the label. Hopefully within a year I'll be able to make a small profit out of it. It's hard to explain but I got a plan in my head, just gotta put it all on paper.

Our town is around 20,000. We don't have any thrift stores. We have one main street that has all out stores but it's stuff like Walgreens and CVS. I had a job 2 years ago in a warehouse but that place isn't hiring and it's too far. I've been looking for a job for weeks. I'm thinking working for a year so I have a year's worth of rent would be good. And I could still work when I moved and live comfortably while I do the label. Hopefully within a year I'll be able to make a small profit out of it. It's hard to explain but I got a plan in my head, just gotta put it all on paper.

I understand exactly what you mean your goals are
1.get a job
2.save
3.move to a desirable city
4.start a business
5.work hard to see it succeed

but in that olutline there are alot a. b. c. subtopics
for example
1.move to a desirable city
a.find a decent job
b.make connections,contacts,associates
c.etc