To release or not to release. That is the question

illestrait

So I've compiled a decent handful of remixes, and have been very pleased with there outcomes. I've read several threads here regarding the legality of remixes. My main goal in releasing this tape would be to gain more exposure for myself, and to create a name as well. I'd like the advice from the FutureProducer gurus to help lead me in the right direction here.

Should I put out a compilation of my remixes (which will be for no profit at all), or should I suck it up, quit doing stupid remixes and compose my own music.

Harsh reality, but everyone knows the real beauty behind a musician is derived from their own creation, originality and ability to manipulate sounds. The style of sampling on these remixes are mainly layovers of vocals and some minor chopping, but not enough to disfigure the sample and make it unidentifiable. From artist to artist I know there are a handful of you that may have came across the same issue, please shed some light on the subject to direct me to the right path.

Coming from a consumer, I think you should do both. Set up a compilation of five or 6 of your best remixes. Make them your <i>best</i>, then add one or two of your original songs. Label them clearly with a simple (Illestrait Remix) and (Illestrait Original) tag at the end of each song and get it out there. I think this would be great to start building up buzz for yourself. People love remixes and if you do remixes of popular songs it will easily be found and in turn so will your original songs. Thats just my advice.

Good luck!

Awesome advice guys. I think the obvious answer is to start producing my own stuff from scratch. Since I've invested so much to these remixes I think ibezander hit the nail on the head on this. Instead of putting them all out I'll release my own stuff with a couple remixes on there. Thanks guys!

Back