Producers being paid for shows?

Yes because know what other people sell beats for could never help you price your own, its all estimates at the end of the day. Also that wasn't even a statement you say "wrong" to. you can disagree but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid, you're just a cynic i see though, that's cool.

Wrong. :cheers: just because one producer is making money and selling his beats for XX amount, doesn't mean or promise that you will be able to do the same with the same caliber of beats. Not at all.

Reading your grammar is so painful btw.

You've been waiting for someone to tell you you're gonna be rolling in cash by year 5, but no one has. So now you don't know what to do.. am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Actually, he's correct beyond opinion. Kanye made the bulk of his music money in an era we won't see again any time soon, so knowing he could make $80k a beat or $5 million in advance to work on an album(before release)doesn't even have anything to do with what a top tier producers is making in 2014, so what would it have to do with anyone coming up.

Once upon a time, you(as in an entry level producer)could get paid 3-5k to hold a beat for an album that ended up never coming out. NOW, you may not see that off a song on a major release that ranks single digits on billboard(these days on a bad/good week you can sell 30k and hit #1). May make 20 times that, depends on a million other factors.

I also agree, if you're doing music, it should be for the love of doing music. There's no money getting thrown around like it once was, it takes dedication and a worker's spirit. Do it because you love to do it and things will fall where they may. I've seen lots of great musicians walk away from situations too early or to do way less than they were doing because they felt they should be making what the next guy does without understanding individual factors that worked in their benefit that cost more overhead before the cash was distributed to performers.

If you wouldn't do this for minimum wage, do yourself a favor and focus on a real career to put real money in your pocket. Even if you do okay and make $100k a few years out of your life, it won't add up to making 30k a year for 20 years with retirement plans and Obamacare in the end. Lol. You can get that at McDonald's.

Oh, and to answer the original question, I've never that I remember received a dime from a show performance I was not in attendance for. I've worked with reputable artists(G. Dep, Yukmouth, Gonzoe, Mr. Serv On, Chyna Whyte, AP 9/Mob Figaz, Outlawz, The Game, ect), but mostly on projects that weren't the most mainstream. So, when they did shows and were paid cash, it went directly to their pockets.

And if I was there, my payment was what they gave me from their hand after cash was given to them, no set rule to it. I've never gotten a BMI check worth getting hyped about. I've received nice checks directly from labels/companies for sales of stuff I was part of, but most of my cash was made upfront or being paid out and skipping on royalties.

I did alot better than most who would try to convince me i didn't have my business right from these types of practices. Get what you get, or wait around and think you gonna get what you deserve. I'd be willing to bet I've seen more than alot of better known producers who deal with waiting on checks that never came.

Last edited:
I have a feeling you don't know how to answer it regardless of the attitude you'd portray. You've been waiting for someone to tell you you're gonna be rolling in cash by year 5, but no one has. So now you don't know what to do.. am I right?
I dont honestly give a damn if all I could afford was my moms basement, as long as I do what I like. And you clearly aren't eather

Oh, and to answer the original question, I've never that I remember received a dime from a show performance I was not in attendance for. I've worked with reputable artists(G. Dep, Yukmouth, Gonzoe, Mr. Serv On, Chyna Whyte, AP 9/Mob Figaz, Outlawz, The Game, ect), but mostly on projects that weren't the most mainstream. So, when they did shows and were paid cash, it went directly to their pockets.

And if I was there, my payment was what they gave me from their hand after cash was given to them, no set rule to it. I've never gotten a BMI check worth getting hyped about. I've received nice checks directly from labels/companies for sales of stuff I was part of, but most of my cash was made upfront or being paid out and skipping on royalties.

I did alot better than most who would try to convince me i didn't have my business right from these types of practices. Get what you get, or wait around and think you gonna get what you deserve. I'd be willing to bet I've seen more than alot of better known producers who deal with waiting on checks that never came.
Appreciate it, I'm 14 years old, so I just was hoping to learn the business and financial side of music a bit. Thank you :cheers:

^^^No prob. I guess I was posting while you guys were conversing, I was only agreeing that you cannot judge by what another guy makes, things went left by the time my post cleared, lol.

Wow, so much outrageously heated attitudinal supposition and vitriol, all for a simple question.

To the OP, yes, technically you make money from live performances too, but in practice, not so much, so don't count your chickens when they may never hatch at all... ASCAP and BMI both pay for live performances, but those things are not tracked and surveyed the way radio and TV are. And, since a bulk of these performances are "untrackable" in a sense (actual live performance and also jukebox play in clubs, as well as unreported or under-reported concert venue performances), both organizations have different formulas to "guesstimate" those types of plays and factor them into their already existing algorithm. The edge goes towards artists with greater sales and radio play, rather than an even split of all live concert monies. In other words, two songwriters that have published work (which includes producers of the "beat-making" variety for our example here) are not equal; Kanye will get a larger share of monies (including those made from live performances) than you or I, but at least there is some kind of mechanism to include that estimated income in ASCAP and BMI's formulas...

GJ

Back