Problem with royalties if two songs have the same title. Is this true?

Aeogunn

A friend of mine told me that if there are two different songs with the same title, when it comes time for the royalties to be payed, it's possible for all the royalties (from both songs) to be diverted to the more popular song by mistake. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

only if the reporting agencies fail to disclose the artist and their publishing affiliation so no it is not true (they cannot fail to do that)

A friend of mine told me that if there are two different songs with the same title, when it comes time for the royalties to be payed, it's possible for all the royalties (from both songs) to be diverted to the more popular song by mistake. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

It is possible. This is why companies need all of the pertinent info regarding music that gets used. Each song has a unique Work ID. If the correct Work ID is used, the correct set of songwriters and publishers will be paid.

There are over 4,000 songs titled "I Love You" at BMI. Good luck with trying to get paid for that song just by going off of the song title.

if they are stupid then yes, I doubt they're stupid so only by mistake and possibly you could get your money back I'd think

part of the secret to getting your royalties is to know who is playing your material (and when) and reporting these plays directly to your pro - they will check against the direct reports from the various sources who use music as part of their day to day activities and credit you accordingly

Back