Out the TRUNK

S

Spektor

what are some ways a BROKE unknown and unsigned artist trying to go independent.........can make some money besides selling CDs?

and what ways can they promote themselves?

Doing shows like they supposed to be. Two birds. No brainer. Start doing the free shows and work their way up. They have to rock the free shows like they getting paid. People complain it doesn't work..........because they are not good period. Or they don't make wise decisions. You are conscious rapper performing at a show where the crowd is pumped for some hard trap shit......you performed well......but the "crowd" you performed for wasn't feeling "your type of music". It's also wise to connect with people like you who are in your lane. Not saying "oh we should do a collab" type relationship, but some people that know the surroundings of the city like the clubs and what goes on there, the hip hop hot spots or what happening. This is no brainer stuff....the rest is based on talent when you get there. Different crowds hangout in different areas so you find the crowd that fits you or you will end up giving up "for no reason" thinking people are not feeling you.......it's just "they" ain't feeling...not them over their.

Last edited:
i kno the am is money but the love gotta b there otherwise the way the game is u wont make it to where u wanna b..

what are some legitimate 9-5 hustles that you can do? that are in music?

Thers no hard and fast way to making money (for an unknown) in music... In this business youv usualy gotta strugle alot before your break comes along. Usualy that break wont happen if your not willing to put in some long hours for peanuts or even nothing.

I don't understand why you and your artists Mill haven't put that
"NO JOBS" single on the CDbaby or even press up a few 100 CD to give out as promo
so you can start to book shows and festivals..spring and summer will be here faster than you think

here my sticky in this section you might find it helpful
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-links-resources-indie-artists-labels-364398/

I stop actually making producing and went more into the business part of music
you can manage local artists
you can be like DJ Screw find alot of local rappers and record them and sell the mixtapes
I did that for years and it works even if you're selling out of your trunk
and with the interenet and little bit of flyers,doorhanger,a few shows here and there
you will start to build up a fan base
and then the snowball just goes from

Spektor you are a nice guy but you need to stop asking less questions and start doing more action
for your brand/company

1.get your music up on CDbaby
2.get involved locally on the rap scene...make yourself stand out
3.get some business cards
4.get some flyers
5.rent out a small club or venue and start to host rap battles(this is great way to find out who the best in your city and then start a relationship up with them put them on a mixtape) a $100 prize is a great motivator for local rap artists to come out
and if it really sparks up you could start to get paid to d these battles
clubs will easily want to sponsor the battles and the prize money
because you're bringing in a crowd and the crowd drinks,cover charges you'll get a percentage

think outside the box
I would usually charge for something like that but I feel you need some serious help and motivation

busk
intr.v. busked, busk·ing, busks
To play music or perform entertainment in a public place, usually while soliciting money.

:)

I'm sure a lot of big name acts went busking during the lean times. You put your open guitar case out in front and play songs - people then throw money into the case if they want. Good performance practice and you can earn the minimum wage too if you know the right places/times.

All sorts of entertainment can be done this way.

what are some ways a BROKE unknown and unsigned artist trying to go independent.........can make some money besides selling CDs?

and what ways can they promote themselves?

So you wanna learn other ways to make money in this business, besides selling CD's. Oh yeah; and, you wanna do this with no money as an unknown and unsigned artist. Okay, here's a tactics you can start implementing immediately.

The first issue you'll need to tackle is the "I'm broke" mentality. If you were truly broke, you probably wouldn't have been able to post this thread. I say that because "broke" people can't afford internet service. Honestly, my guess is that you haven't invested the little money you've got into making money. Who are your your fans? Do you even have any? If not, then you'll need to sell other peoples music instead of your own, because other people have fans to sell too.

To give that a try, follow these instructions...

1. Build a website. This should be the first step in setting up any business. ($45 to start)
2. Apply for iTunes and other affiliate program through Link Share. (free)
3. Look through their inventory for new music that has been released. (free)
4. Write articles for your website and attach the affiliated links to them. Affiliated links pay you for every unit sold made from your website.

You can find tons of affiliate programs online. Everyone wants help selling their music. You could be one of those guys that fills the void for many artist. This plan won't help you sell your own music because doing so requires establishing a fan base and gaining recognition within the music community.

Or, you could always get a regular job and use that money to build your music career. If you want make money then make it. Don't let excuses get in the way, nor fear or a lack of understanding. This business isn't rocket science, so don't make things out to be so complicated in your mind. Just get off your a*s and make something happen for yourself.

Start living the life you've always wanted to live today, because tomorrow may not come.

Last edited:
Back