Off the Beaten Path

NEWjack250

I've been making music for 6 or 7 years now, but I don't make "hot" beats. Using hardware and Pro Tools, I strive to develop my own style based upon my influences (Pete Rock, Premier, Dilla, Madlib, etc.).

I have a SoundCloud, I recently released a free instrumental EP on a European netlabel, and I'm looking into building a website.

No disrespect at all, but I've investigated SoundClick and RocBattle and I'm simply not convinced that this is the right market for what I do.

All this considered, what are some possible directions I can go in to start making income from my music?

Do I have to make "hot" beats in order to make money on sites like SoundClick and RocBattle? Is PMP a viable option?

Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks.

What do you mean by "hot beats", cause nomatter what you use to make them, and how different from the norm or cookie cut your beats are, the one thing you're gonna need them to be in order to progress is "hot". Pete Rock, Primo, Dilla and Madlib all make(IMO)"hot beats". So if you strive to be like them and aren't doing the same, you're doing something wrong.

I'm not saying my music is boring. I guess my understanding of "hot" is something that Waka Flocka or Lil Wayne are gonna want to jump on. Maybe that's flawed.

What I'm trying to say is I listen to the top producers on SoundClick and my music doesn't sound anything like it.

I make stuff in the same vein as Tribe, Blu & Exile, etc. - music that has a following but isn't played 10 times per Top 40 radio hour, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
let's hear some of your instrumentals
and so what if your music doesn't sound like another producer's that good..
find your niche markets which might be backpack emcees,consciousness emcees
like common use to be more like in his earlier days...
some would say "true emcess"
cats who like more of may I say "east coast vibe"
don't worry about marketing your beats to lil' wayne style emcees ...
yeah alot of ppl on soundclick make the same kind of beats.. they are out to sell a lease most of the time..no a exclusive beat.
get yourself a business plan together a REAL, I SAID REAL business plan lol...
and get a marketing and promotion plan together...and attack your niche market
and if you got production equipment which you have already..invest in recording setup with acoustic treatment and start recording local artists..doing demo and actually producing acts where contracts are signed
this ppl here
Best MC/PRODUCER duo

Back