New to the business. :)

Devious G

If I license my music will I keep all the rights to my music. I'm new to the business, but familiar with music if you know what I mean, I just want to know the best way to get my music out there without losing the rights to my music.

I'm starting in music production, but I also will perform live sets.

Really I just want some career advice.

Thanks in advance. :)

Well I essentially have a plan, but I just want to know if I should remain independant and start a label, or if I should try to get signed to an already established label.

Anytime you intellectually create property, like music for instance, you owe the right to publish under any terms you see fit. Also you can run your own label, and sign your own checks while remaining independent; if you want to. The task won't be easy to manage because you'll be wearing multiple hats. Just remember the responsibilities become easier manage as you gain experience over time. I'll tell you the same thing I tell most people, get a website and publish your music using it. This means you should release your own music. Give people a chance to like it before being concerned with people stealing. Copyright your music and make it's clearly stated as to how people may your beats.

If I license my music will I keep all the rights to my music. I'm new to the business, but familiar with music if you know what I mean, I just want to know the best way to get my music out there without losing the rights to my music.

Yes, when you license your music, you are simply giving someone a 'license' to use your music for a specific use. If you sell your music or create something through a 'work-for-hire' that is a different story. You usually can't sell it again, but might be able to retain writer royalties. Licensing is great because you can do it over and over again.

Yes, when you license your music, you are simply giving someone a 'license' to use your music for a specific use. If you sell your music or create something through a 'work-for-hire' that is a different story. You usually can't sell it again, but might be able to retain writer royalties. Licensing is great because you can do it over and over again.
exclusive vs. lincensing

More and more music producers are getting into this business every day. This flood of new talent can make it difficult to get ahead.

More and more music producers are getting into this business every day. This flood of new talent can make it difficult to get ahead.

Talent doesn't =profits or compentition because they make be making hot beats but aren't visible to potential clients which means having the talent to make great instrumentals doesn't mean they have the knowledge to market their music or the money to invest in market experts

Not dissing anyone or the OP but if your serious about this you should buy the appropriate books and read up.. theres good advice here but its not match for a book dedicated to the subject.. search Don Passman in amazon... your essentially enquiring about business music.

Back