need some understanding on PRo's

mylesp510

so i know what PRO's do and all that but heres what my situation is. i am ready to sell beats on a serious level. i have my own site and everything. i want to sign up to Ascap as a writer. i understand that part. now when it comes to publishing i want to sign up with them again. now do i need a business license to create a publishing company with ascap and get paid? do i need a business bank account to cash checks?

Thanks in advanced for any responses.

I suggest making your company legal as soon as you have start-up capital

sometimes getting more start-up capital is easier when your company is legal and registered

just make sure you think things through
make

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT COACH BLOG : FOUR STEPS TO MAKING YOUR COMPANY LEGAL

should i go llc right away? thats expensive but i can try to do dba first maybe? let me just ask this. do i need to go legal in order to get money?

on BMI's website it says that if you don't have a publishing company, your publishing share is given to you as a writer. So do I need a publishing company? I don't have the money to start one up

Not to cut you off but...

2863327.jpg

It sounds like you have a lot of questions about this (which is good) and since you are ready to be serious about it I suggest you hit up a local library and check out Donald Passman's "All You need to know about the music business" book. You can read the whole thing cover to cover in a weekend and you'll be straight.

It covers PRO's pretty well.

2863327.jpg

It sounds like you have a lot of questions about this (which is good) and since you are ready to be serious about it I suggest you hit up a local library and check out Donald Passman's "All You need to know about the music business" book. You can read the whole thing cover to cover in a weekend and you'll be straight.

It covers PRO's pretty well.

I have that book but I have yet to read it fully. I'll see if it answers my question. I was just trying to go the easy route and ask about it haha

Ok so I'm reading the book and specifically the pro section has me confused.

Let me quote straight from the book

"the writers also sign on, and even more importantly, the writers are paid directly by the society. This means performance earnings are, not paid to the publisher. Instead, the society bypasses the publisher and sends the Checks to the writer. This is designed to protect the writer(which it does nicely) from flakey publishers who might steal the money. "

So does this mean I don't have to sign up as a publisher? And what about Bangladesh and the young money case? Was he not protected since the young money artist on his beats are also signed up as writers?

Back