A Musicians Roadmap To Setting Goals for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa2456

Source: http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/a-musicians-roadmap-to-setting-goals-for-2010.html

What They Don’t Teach You At Harvard Business School (a bestselling book) talks about a research study that was conducted at Harvard between 1979 and 1989:

“In 1979, the MBA graduates were asked, “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”

Only 3 percent had clear written goals and action plans to achieve them.

Thirteen percent of the graduates had goals, but they were not in writing.

The other 84 percent had no specific goals at all.

In 1989, a decade later, the researchers again interviewed the students of that class. Surprisingly, they discovered that the 13 percent, who had goals that were not in writing, were earning on average twice as much as the 84 percent who had no goals at all.

The truly amazing finding was that the 3 percent of students, who had written, clear goals when they left Harvard, were earning over ten times as much, on average, as the other 97 percent together.

There are many other similar recorded research studies that seem to conclude with approximately the same results – that only 3 percent of people set clear, written goals and action plans for their achievement.

These people clearly achieve far more success and happiness in their lives and careers than others. Goal setting ability is the skill that separates these top performers from the rest.”
(I quoted this from an article written by John Llyod).

So – really?

You are still NOT going to write down your goals?

Starting the New Year with a set of goals is an empowering way to set the stage for your success in your future.

This article is designed to assist you in creating a personal roadmap for achieving what you would like with your musical career this coming year, whether you consider music your hobby or you are making a full-time living from it.

Here are my tips to you and a roadmap to follow for planning your 2010 (and beyond) goal

Goal Achieving TIP # 1:
THIS IS A GAME YOU CAN CHANGE THE RULES AS YOU GO

Musicians tend to be perfectionists – I know this because I have spent my entire adult life working with musicians. My dear musicians take note: Goals are never written in stone and they are not the word of the almighty! They should be looked at as beacons and guiding points for you to keep yourself on track along your musical journey.

I would not recommend changing them every week but the music industry is changing so rapidly it’s hard to know what goals are reachable in this landscape. So if the course of the year your goals change its OK to cross one off or modify another or start the game again and write new ones down as you go.

Goal Achieving TIP #2:
DON’T BEAT YOURSELF UP!

You will have your days where you may get frustrated, and you may start to crucify and criticize yourself when you are not achieving goals as fast as you want them. (sound familiar?)

Self-criticism will interfere directly with achieving your goals and dreams. So, the next time you are making yourself wrong for the fact that only 20 people showed up at your last gig or railing against yourself because your couldn’t hear yourself in the monitors try to turn that around immediately, Take a step back and acknowledge the good, and instead celebrate your wins, no matter how small.

Goal Achieving TIP #3:
WRITE DOWN 5 SUCCESSES EACH DAY

I’m inviting you to write down five little victories a day for this entire year. I learned this powerful technique from T. Harv Eker, who says that you should write down five positive things you do every single day. Once you start getting into this habit, you are training yourself to put the focus on the positive and get your brain to stop being so self-critical.

So put a notebook in your gig bag or next to your bed.
Each day write down 5 things. Make one or two of them music or band related.

Here are some examples:

1. Went to gym.
2. Started writing lyrics to a new song
3. Called three clubs for potential booking.
4. Did laundry.
5. Reached out to a music blogger who will love my music.
6. Made dinner for my boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/kids/ friends (etc).

Right now, stop what you’re doing and write down five tiny successes you had today and yesterday.

YOUR GOALS - SETTING THE STAGE:

Step 1:
IDENTIFY & WRITE DOWN YOUR FOCUS AREAS

Here is a list of some areas you may want your goals focus on.
Skip the areas that do not resonate with you and start by identifying what areas your goals will center around.

Think big, be unreasonable, and don’t hold yourself back.

Building Your Brand:
Honing your unique selling points
Color Scheme
Logo
15 second pitch
Photo shoot
New website
New album
Video creation
Personal health so your performance is better – exercise, eating etc.

Marketing:
What will you do this year for your overall marketing plan?
PR – Traditional print media
PR – online media
PR – TV and videos
Radio campaign
Have friends or family members help you

Communicating:
How many people should be added to your e-mail list each month?
monthly newsletter
Posters
Flyers

Social Media Strategies:
MySpace page reskin
Twitter stream
Facebook Fan page
Facebook ad campaign
Photo sharing
Last.fm
Blogging
Podcasting
YouTube channel
Linkedin profile
Artist Data profile

Booking:
Local gigs
Number of people at your next gig
Touring regionally
Touring nationally
Touring internationally
Opening for who?
Getting a booking agent
Getting a college agent

Releasing Music:
Are you recording an album this year?
Who are you writing songs with?
Full Length vs. EP ?
Live album
Who is your dream producer?
Where are you recording?

Money:
How much money you would like to earn?
What will you spend?
Buying a new instrument?
Number of CDs you would like to sell
Film and TV placements.
Number of downloads you would like to sell
Getting a manager

Step Two:

START WRITING

Now that you have identified them, I suggest you write in pen using paper. Your intention is different when it comes from a pen and not from a computer. The act of writing it down accesses a different part of your brain.

Step Three:
MASTER TECHNIQUES FOR WRITING GOALS DOWN
&TAKE STEPS TO GET CLOSER TO THEM

Be clear: Give dates and as much detail as you can

Write each goal as if it’s already happening

Your goals should involve you and only you (they can’t be contingent on someone else)

Make them realistically achievable

Make daily lists of what you need to do to get your goals met – the night before! Do the hardest thing first in the morning- don’t procrastinate.

Do something everyday that moves you towards one of your goals
(your list of 5 successes will help with this)

Delegate the little activities that waste your valuable time to other people (you would be amazed what you could do with 4 hours it takes to clean your house).

Build a TEAM to help you!! Get an intern or two – go to entertainmentcareers.net and post as an employer seeking interns – you will be amazed at how many bright young people would like to get their feet wet in the business.

If you don’t have an office to accommodate them that’s OK, Meet 1X per week at a coffee shop and / or have your intern work remotely from home.

Step Four:
MAKE ONE GOAL HAPPEN ASAP

Start with the easiest one on your list and give it two to four weeks and a deadline and then write exactly the deadline in the present tense, like this:

By February 15th, 2010, I will have added 25 new quality friends to my Facebook Fan page.

Now, go back and put dates on every single goal that you have written

Step Five:
MAKE THEM LOOK PRETTY& HANG THEM WHERE YOU CAN SEE THEM EVERYDAY

I highly recommend re-writing your goals neatly on paper. Use colored pens or crayons and illustrate them.

Hang them in a place where you can see them everyday.

Remember, if your goals change, that’s okay. Just cross one off and add a new one.

You are the one in charge of your goals.

Here’s to your success in 2010!

Good stuff.

Some people get carried away with making lists, but writing stuff down is a great organizational skill in general and a way to really commit yourself to something. Whether its working out, school/homework, music, whatever, it helps to keep you on track.

Also you can look back and quantify what you have accomplished, like "wow, I really did all that last year?". Good way to lighten the load if you're getting down on yourself. Documented evidence of your accomplishments.

Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back