Managing an Artist

JMD_Music

I've been talking to a local artist for a couple weeks now. She's 18 and writes, producer, and records her own music. She really reminds me of Colbie Caillat and she's agreed to let me help her with her career. We won't be signing any contracts as of now, but I'll be working with her to get her name out there. My lack of experience is fine because she said she wanted to build a team from the ground up.

She's in the process of recording some songs for an EP so I was thinking I should email blogs to post and review her music. I'd also be contacting venues around her to try and get some shows set up. I follow a lot of A&R's on Twitter and wanted to submit her music to them.

I'm still really new to management and plan to take an artist management class at UCLA being offered in April. Both her and I are still a little confused on the day to day work of a manager.

Anyone else have some advice for me?

management is about providing direction and protection, contacts and opportunities
- seems like you understand the basics of it

just make sure that you both stay safe and don't sign anything for her or yourself without a lawyer advising you first

management is about providing direction and protection, contacts and opportunities
- seems like you understand the basics of it

just make sure that you both stay safe and don't sign anything for her or yourself without a lawyer advising you first

I was going to gather a list of different blogs I could contact once she finishes her songs. Am I ultimately in charge of her marketing and publicity even when/if she signs with a label?

I've already looked around my area for lawyers.

You would be involved in setting the direction but not necessarily the execution, you might be involved in the authorising of publicity campaigns (part of the direction and protection aspect of being a manager). As a beginning manager with a new client and no backup team of your own, you would probably do it all to begin with and then as the team grows supervise others preparing and running the campaigns

Bandcoach is spot on with the lawyer advice.

Most artists understand that a manager [regardless of how inexperienced] is entitled to a fee / percentage of what the artist brings in. So don't play yourself [and start off by working for free] because the day that it hits you: "Hey! I've been doing tons of work pushing you and I'm entitled to something" and you demand that "something" [whatever it is] is the day when everything can and will change.

So - Get a lawyer and negotiate a percentage first before you start doing any work this way its worth it for the both of you to work together.

Good luck.

Right now she's nowhere near a position to make money from music. I also don't have the money to get a lawyer yet.

When the time comes, we will get a contract done.

in the meantime write up a simple heads of agreement:

it will state in simple words what work you will do now and what she will do in the future for work done now.

Keep it simple so that there is no ambiguity in the words that let later lawyers screw either one of you over....

For now, I was just gonna submit her music to blogs and try to book some shows.

We haven't even met yet. She lives pretty far from me.

For now, I was just gonna submit her music to blogs and try to book some shows.

We haven't even met yet. She lives pretty far from me.

a simply agreement still needs to be written and signed by both of you as time goes on you can develop a more detailed contract
I suggest using this service
as you're not in the same area
https://rightsignature.com/

-Coach Antonio

I just sent her a management agreement I found online. It was nothing detailed; just basic stuff like commission, I'm allowed to manage other acts, we can part ways at any time, etc.

I know of a company that will send her music to 250 blogs for $5. I was thinking of purchasing that option. She's almost done with her EP as well, so I was gonna start an attempt at booking shows.

Back