Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Major Artist "stole" a beat ?

DAHTrump is offline DAH Trump
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Wow, what an honor for a MAJOR artist to go an extra mile and steal your beat. What's the name of the song if you don't mind sharing?

MOTC is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    What was the beat?

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Also sometimes it's not the artists but the producer he selected the track from.

lightspeed15 is offline Humza Khan Beats
    Thanks
    Come on! We want to know. It may help us avoid doing shady business with him

TAproductions is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    This is a pretty interesting thread, I want to follow this as well.
    www.TA-Productions.com - Quality beats at an affordable price. Make your next hit today.

Thanks
    If I'm reading right... Alot of misinformation here.

You dug yourself in a hole on this one by giving a lease option.

That's why you gotta be careful about how you sell your material. The guy could've easily thrown you $20 for the beat "without awareness of the outcome" play dumb and stall you out in court because he knows you'd waste more money than it's worth fighting it.

Alot of details have been left out, so i can't say for sure, but unless you can prove that the artist has gone beyond his normal demographic and benefitted moreso from your track than ever in his career, you're talking about court/lawyer fees over a $250 lease? You will go broke fighting for your exclusive right. If anything, I'd try toi link with the artist for future work and try to get that song on an album(so that a new contract would get negotiated and you can sell that same "exclusive" for points ad a few grand upfront).

You have no case, you gave your beat away for $20. Even if his homeboy downloaded it and passed it on to him. The artist has no control over the success that followed him posting a youtube vid, and at most, he owes you $250 you're gonna spend $700 off tops to get. Lesson in selling yourself short.

No hate been there a hundred times. Just telling you as a freelance producer with cheap prices, from time to time people will take advantage of the deals you offer. That's why you should take the time to deal with every client face to face or keep it moving when stuff like this happens.

Also, being anonymous won't make much difference. Not saying I whine about the details of every situation I've been in, but you want your recognition, a good start is saying you produced the song in question. I'd be all over the place bragging about a song I produced with 3 million hits because of the other work I could get from it. That's alot more hustle than suing the artist.
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 12-31-2012 at 03:13 AM.
    likes this.
    Two things that annoy me are people who are positive out of ignorance, and people who are negative out of bitterness. People who are neither usually get along with me and agree with most of what I say. People who are one of the 2 think I'm the other.
    www.soundclick.com/phukdupbeats
    www.myspace.com/phukdup
    http://twitter.com/PhukdupEnt

MyztaJay is offline Supreme
    Thanks
    Damn you got mad real... very true very true. Don't most leases (if he used a generic one floating on the net) state that only so many copies can be sold? If so, if this artist is on interscope I'm guess they are pressing alot more than that hypothetical number? and if that is true he is clearly breaking contract? and therefore the producer is entitled to royalties, lost wages(because of the beat already being release w/o him getting paid) and also since it might have been a lease or just blatantly stealing can't he just claim the exclusive was going to cost like $20,000? please enlighten me.

---------- Post added at 05:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

Definitely agree with getting your name out there, my main thing is exposure and being heard.

Thanks
    ^^^His guidelines were already outlined.

Not one copy has been sold yet since no CD has been released. If his contract mentioned nothing of youtube hits, the guy using the beat has the right to post his song on youtube and get more hits than gangnam style.

And all you can do is get a lawyer and sue for what you think you're owed. In the end, if you get $10k, after lawyer fees and everything, you'll go home with like 6 and MORE THAN LIKELY NO CHANCE OF EVER WORKING IN MUSIC AGAIN. You get the plug pulled on a song on interscope with a 3M view following, no one on Universal will ever f**k with you again.

And as said before, you should be trying to reach out to this artist to do more work and get your song on an actual hard copy for retail sales so you can make the same money you'd end up getting from suing(at best) actually working with the guy and building a relationship.

Dudes be too quick to try to run for the money and think they're entitled. Don't fool yourself. No one got 3M view off just your beat. They built your brand in the process. You kinda owe them and could come out ahead if you know how to pimp it. Who's future looks brighter right now, Cheif Keef, or Young Chop's?

Exactly.
    Two things that annoy me are people who are positive out of ignorance, and people who are negative out of bitterness. People who are neither usually get along with me and agree with most of what I say. People who are one of the 2 think I'm the other.
    www.soundclick.com/phukdupbeats
    www.myspace.com/phukdup
    http://twitter.com/PhukdupEnt

MyztaJay is offline Supreme
    Thanks
    Respect, point taken. Can't wait to see how this ends.

MizzHitZthaProducer is offline freebeatsbymizzhitz.info
    Thanks
    all i can say is copyright, copyright, copyright and register yourself with a PRO such as ASCAP or BMI (FREE)..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information