Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Major Artist "stole" a beat ?

acetheface954 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    this is absolutely amazing. what song are we talking about? who's the artist?

rhythmgj is offline Character in Spades...
    Thanks
    You've got to read the original post. He/she isn't telling, and for now, I think that's wise, from a legal perspective (although the voyeurist in me wants to know what's going on!). No use adding litigation from a reverse bass ackwards lawsuit to the salt already in the wound...

GJ

MrWonderful is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Thanks
    Tell us please

acetheface954 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmgj View Post
    You've got to read the original post. He/she isn't telling, and for now, I think that's wise, from a legal perspective (although the voyeurist in me wants to know what's going on!). No use adding litigation from a reverse bass ackwards lawsuit to the salt already in the wound...

GJ
    lol oh believe me when I say I know they aren't inclined towards telling us. just had to try.

PopFatal is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    doesnt copyright only cost like $35. why would you copyright be fore releasing on the net? or is this useless somehow also?

Orrin is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Worst case scenario.... you could always just put it in your resumé

"Music sampled by major acts such as <xyz>"

Cyko is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huge Beatz View Post

I've had music stolen that was used on a national commercial. Sucked big time. I had a musicologist tell me, "did they steal your music: probably. Will it hold up in court? Probably not." So I let it go.
    Oh man that sucks.

I've had music taken and used without my permission (Fox 31). It took 5 months to get my backpay in line. What were you missing for a strong case?
    Fox had to provide proof of transaction, and or contact stating they had the right to use the material.. which they couldn't present.

I had provide proof of ownership and a bunch of signed affidavits stating that i was unaware of the usage.

Thanks
    Copyright is not "useless." And yes, you should take care of it (paperwork) before releasing anything, but all is not lost if that isn't the case. A "copyright" exists on _any_ creation that you take out of your mind and put into a fixed form (writing, photo, image, muisc on tape, CD, digital file, MIDI file, etc., etc., etc.), as soon as you do that (put it in a tangible, fixed form). The law recognizes this, _but_, it's harder to prove without the simple to file paperwork, and there are other benefits, so yeah, you should file.

GJ

PopFatal is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    a simple way to show "some" type of proof is to upload your beat to youtube. since they are a third party and have no affiliation with you, it could help AND it also had a time stamp on it, meaning it tells you when you uploaded the song. Is the creation date of the project file worth anything? is this not enough evidence to prove your credibility? just asking cause i dont know much.

Thanks
    It definitely would help, but you'd need more than just that, I'd imagine (I've studied a fair amount of copyright law, but thankfully have never had to deal with an actual lawsuit). People talk about "poor man's copyright" (mailing it to yourself, and the various merits or detriments of that approach), and other ways to "prove" ownnership. Best thing to do is file, but if for some reason you don't yet, keep all of your project files and masters archived and dated, have some kind of time-stamped upload somewhere (even a private storage site), and make sure you at least mark all CD/DVD archive copies and anything you give out with proper copyright info (which is pretty easy to tag in files nowadays too): "Blah Blah Song #1", (c) & (p) 2012, Joe the Beat-Maker (your name here), All Rights Reserved. SoundCloud let's you upload and select those tagging options right on your upload page.

GJ
    Last edited by rhythmgj; 10-29-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Because...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information