Mailing List Questions

I just inform people that have signed up what new music and promotions are available.

as someone who sells beats, what would you say to visitors to attract them?

Just for a background. I'm new to the mailing lists and I'm just now deciding to start one up.

Read This

what are things you say to attract people to your mailing list?

What I see most people doing is using mailing lists as "gateways" to gain access to a free product. I personally try to stay away from doing this because I've found that most people who usually sign up looking for "free" will only come back looking for more "free". Also, from my experience, the "free" people will usually just unsubscribe once they have received the free item.

Based off this knowledge, I have a "soft sell" approach that I use that's proven effective for me. I simply include an opt in / subscribe form in a prominent area on my website that's non intrusive. (eg: sidebar - not a popup) The benefit of this approach is that about 95 percent of people who I direct to my website genuinely sign up without being coerced and typically have a genuine interest in licensing my music. This translates to more of a targeted reach when I send out an email blast.

$.02

Thanks. So if I have it in the footer of my website, would that do? What are things you say in your newsletter?

Do you do other things other than specials and new beat releases to engage your audience or are just saying specials and beat releases enough?

Went to your page and before I could even tell what your site was about.......... I was greeted with a pop up.... :sigh:

You know what pop ups remind me of??

Have you ever walked into a store with pushy, commissioned salespeople that get in your face when you walk in the door?

Yeah, like that.

As soon as I walk in, I'm ready to leave.

With that said, if you want to use that thing put a timer on it. Set it for like 2 minutes so you don't scare cats off.

--------------------------------------------

About the mailing list, put it higher up.

If people have to look for your mailing list, chances are they wont. :hello:

Thanks for reminding me. I had a pop up before set like that so when a person was reading an article it pops up after a while.
I have another question. What do you think about locking content in a way that people have to pay with a like, +1 or a tweet to read it? I just started doing that (not to all my articles, just my most read ones. I left some of my best articles fully unlocked and I only unlocked parts of the text with the "pay with a social" feature. Thanks I'll try and find a way to make my mailing list more available.

Last edited:
SFTraxx,

You're dead on! Thanks for the advice. Much of what I'm trying to do is in-line with what you are suggesting. I'm still struggling to build up my list. I've offered some free stuff, but I'd like to have my content drive my traffic and subscribers.

What would you say your conversion rate (# of visitors per day vs subscribers) is?

Also, once someone subscribes, what do you do? Do you send out autoresponders or do you just send out email blasts about new music?

-TB

SFTraxx,

You're dead on! Thanks for the advice. Much of what I'm trying to do is in-line with what you are suggesting. I'm still struggling to build up my list. I've offered some free stuff, but I'd like to have my content drive my traffic and subscribers.

What would you say your conversion rate (# of visitors per day vs subscribers) is?

Also, once someone subscribes, what do you do? Do you send out autoresponders or do you just send out email blasts about new music?

-TB

1. Never really examined the conversion rate but every week I get a decent handful of people who sign up.

2. Nah, no auto-responders. I do it the good ole' fashioned way. Add them to my email list which I send out manually on a weekly / bi-weekly basis. (I try to be somewhat consistent). - Although I am aware of services that can do this for you, I'm not really interested in signing up (and paying for a service) since I can do this on my own.

If im interested in an article I'd find nothing wrong with a tweet or share to open it. The only thing I hate doing is seeing those "invite 10 friends". that's not cool

Thanks for reminding me. I had a pop up before set like that so when a person was reading an article it pops up after a while.
I have another question. What do you think about locking content in a way that people have to pay with a like, +1 or a tweet to read it? I just started doing that (not to all my articles, just my most read ones. I left some of my best articles fully unlocked and I only unlocked parts of the text with the "pay with a social" feature. Thanks I'll try and find a way to make my mailing list more available.

I hate being forced to +1 or Like stuff before having the chance to see or reading what I'm being forced to move on. I'm selective with the content shared with my online audience. Being forced share content before wanting to share, like or +1 comes across manipulative to me. Truth be told, impressions (the number of time your site is seen) are the best way to get genuine click thru rates. To get more +1, Likes, Shares and general activity just get more impressions. The best way to do that is by remaining active online, which is what makes social media so helpful imo. Unless I'm missing something here, this is the best way to promote online.

On the other hand, nothing's wrong with requiring membership sign ups to access certain content. It would be wise to let users opt-in to your email list when signing up though. I have no problem sign up for peoples newsletter if I like their online content. Your blogs are cool, I'd suggest moving you're newsletter sign-up to the blog section and placing your beats on the home page. After all, I think it's the most important element of a producer's website as its what artist look for first. Make it easier for them to listen, you know? Also, stretch the width of your beat store to 100%, it'll increase your websites mobile friendliness. Most people listen to music from their mobile devices anyway these days.

You may also want to create two or three list categories based on the pages you have the newsletter sign-ups on. This way you can see which page people are using to opt-in to the email list. Doing so will go a long way towards organising the content you send out. Knowing where people sign-up means knowing more about what caused them to move.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a mailing list. Your list builder is what will explode your business. I know all the strategy to it. I'm going to be upfront and honest to you as much as possible. The most important thing about your emails is to build a relationship with your subscriber. Simply letting people get to know you. Personalizing and doing videos etc.. that's what will make people see you and not just some guy behind the computer. The biggest people that makes money online are leaders. They are good mentor too. But basically it's about you and how they feel like they can trust you. I know people that buy stuff from other people just because they know each other. It rarely had anything to do with whatever that it is.

1. Everything you do needs to have personalization in it. Just because you have a site and people opt-in doesn't mean that they will buy from you. Dont be afriad to put yourself out there.

2. People do business with people they identify with. Create and write a story about yourself. People love to read stories. If people don't identify you they wont take actions.

Last edited:
What I see most people doing is using mailing lists as "gateways" to gain access to a free product. I personally try to stay away from doing this because I've found that most people who usually sign up looking for "free" will only come back looking for more "free". Also, from my experience, the "free" people will usually just unsubscribe once they have received the free item.

Based off this knowledge, I have a "soft sell" approach that I use that's proven effective for me. I simply include an opt in / subscribe form in a prominent area on my website that's non intrusive. (eg: sidebar - not a popup) The benefit of this approach is that about 95 percent of people who I direct to my website genuinely sign up without being coerced and typically have a genuine interest in licensing my music. This translates to more of a targeted reach when I send out an email blast.

$.02

Obviously a guy who knows what he's on about ^.

+1 this...

I noticed you have a sale on DAHTrump... Is it working?

In my opinion, I hate sales as much as I hate overly pushy sales people and people who look for FREE. I believe "Sales" devalue you & your brand. So instantly, I'd say STOP THE SALES!!

If it's working, then perhaps you should consider how it may effect your future business. Will the artists who buy today buy at full price tomorrow?

Will you require to do another sale to get the same people buying?

Would they have bought at your original price, without thoughts of a sale? Just because they wanted a DAHTrump beat? Probably.

I want a DAHTrump beat after listening to Rockets And Dreams. I don't even rap anymore.

In regards to mailing lists specifically, consider all of what SF said. It's all pretty spot on. I'm also trying out some ideas I've had on a clients site. I'll let you know how our experiments go when I can give it my stamp of approval.

Stick the mailing list widget in your footer and the top of your sidebar!

I personally hate those +1 things. I usually shy away from anything with that and just don't read it.

Also, I believe building a social media following to be pretty worthless. You obviously are starting to believe this too, as you are creating a mailing list. Anything with a follow button should be low on your list of "important things".

Make your mailing list your number one priority. You blog for producers right? But you sell (mainly) to rappers? That's a big no-no. Start blogging for rappers. Build some resources for rappers. Informational. Inspirational. You know.

I noticed the soundbank in your shop. You tried adding a deluxe and a limited version? At different prices, of course.

Most people don't want to be cheap... But don't want to spend for the deluxe product, so they go the middle ground. It may even increase your conversions too.

Proven psychology works!

Also... What's with the rewards? Reward people for buying... Not logging in lol...

If I've helped, feel free to sign up to my mailing list @ www.frofresh.com...

Going to be setting up a separate website up soon for marketing after I've finalised my research and launch the record labels site. You may like the former more than the latter. There'll be an e-mail soon for you to switch over to a specific list once the business plan is done.

for a producer or any kind of business especially if you do a lot of online selling your mailing list is your cash cow... last year most of my "coaching" clients came from my mailing list and referrals

so this year I need to really amp up my mailing list

I believe all producers should start to really pay more attention to their online content and then focus on a mailing list
this is the week for me to really go in
and I'm about to take vacation because I can't get any more PTO (paid time off) till I take some time off
I hit the ceiling

so 2 week no day job going to be great to get this cracking for real
so those who have day jobs take a vacation to actually work on your business

you can also get a lot of reading and video viewing done
and actually put to work what you learn

thanks DAHtrump for the topic

Last edited:
Back