Lowdown on how to protect and sell beats

_mac_

Sup:)

My situation is this, I feel I'm at a level now where I want to start trying to make $ off my beats but I dont know where to start with the legal side. Take a look at the list below and chip in if you think you can help.

1) Copyright. What do I need to do to make sure my beats are covered in case of any future bull**** (FOC style)?

2) Selling exclusive. PMP and Soundclick for example, what terms are the usual? Do you hand over the track completely, get a lump of cash and thats it? Is it better to ask for royalties etc?

3) Leasing. What terms are the usual for leasing out beats and how does it work? Say I lease a beat out to 30 people and then number 31 wants to buy the track exclusive....what happens to the other 30 people who have bought the lease?

4) Pricing. Whats the usual for leasing and exclusive, ie; do you stick a price on or wait for offers?

5) Best websites to sell beats are?!

6) Anything else I should know about?

Peace:cheers:

Would it help to get someone to reply if I threw in a comment like 'Soulja Boy is da greatest eva!!!' or 'Dre steels his choons!!' ?

Seriously though, I know theres plenty of peeps here doing their thing so help me out here;)

Last edited:
1. Google Copyright
2. Every deal is different, I dont have one set way of doing exclusives. Pretty much just work out a deal with the artist and put it on paper.
3.just make sure you let the exclusive buyer know that their are 30 people with this beat, but they dont have the rights to it.
4.leasing:30-125 exclusive:1000+ (Everyone's prices vary)
5. Depends on ur prices and quality.

6. Do everything the way u think it should be. dont let anyone make your descisions for you.

Thanks Mikey.

Anyone else? Your not wasting you time replying here, I and im sure a lot of other producers will find the info useful as hell if you have any tips to add here.

Back