Looking for a manager! Any advice?

attention

Cover.jpg
I am a upcoming rap artist! I just finished my debut mixtape: Deficit Thoughts. Over a year od hard work has gone into this tape, and it has received amazing feedback so far. I appreciate ALL feedback! stream/download: Attention - Deficit Thoughts | Download & Listen [New Mixtape]

here is my youtube, I have earned 1600 subscribers in the process. https://www.youtube.com/user/therealattention.

In addition to this I have created a vine and gained almost 3000 followers.
twitter: @ATtherapper
reverbnation: Attention Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos
Vine: @attherapper
instagram: @wisehippy

Are you looking for a manager to help you with your branding marketing, out reach, show ideas and building a bigger fan base? Or are you looking for ways to a get a deal major or independent?

I am looking for a manager who can help reach my music out to independent or major record labels. also possibly show some more ways to obtain more fans

You probably don't need one. If you know where and how to book your own gigs, how to get a website, how to track physical and online sales, streams/spins, and you're working towards having an online presence which you are...then you do not need one. I mean if I could get a guy to handle my business and let me focus on my art I'd do it but a good manager, and by good I mean one that knows more than you and I business wise, will not waste their time on a newbie because they aren't interested in developing a new act like that.

I am looking for a manager who can help reach my music out to independent or major record labels. also possibly show some more ways to obtain more fans

Fans can only be obtained by how many will follow you through social media formats and live shows. Nobody can help you get fans but yourself if you ask me. Don't waste your time going after labels. Work with DJ pools instead. That's how labels will find you.

Last edited:
Fans can oynl be obtained by how many will follow you through social media formats and live shows. Nobody can help you get fans but yourself if you ask me. Don't waste your time going after labels. Work with DJ pools instead. That's how labels will find you.

amazing tip on the DJ Pools

-Coach Antonio

amazing tip on the DJ Pools

-Coach Antonio

Thanks fatal. You'll excuse me for not referring to you as coach seeing as how we have a designated coach on this site lol. But yeah DJ pools are a way to go. If DJ outfits know and like you which is a huge plus then your name is as good as gold because they matter more than any label.

You only need a manager if you can no longer handle the work (marketing, promotions, bookings, studio time etc.). Build your brand 1st then look for a manager after, if necessary because you don't really need them.

These days you have a lot of great tools to help you get your music out to the masses and get record labels coming to you instead. You can even go to record labels direct, you don't need a manager for that. If your music is good and you've got yourself a good followin they'll sign you

You only need a manager if you can no longer handle the work (marketing, promotions, bookings, studio time etc.). Build your brand 1st then look for a manager after, if necessary because you don't really need them.

These days you have a lot of great tools to help you get your music out to the masses and get record labels coming to you instead. You can even go to record labels direct, you don't need a manager for that. If your music is good and you've got yourself a good followin they'll sign you

Everyone is giving great tips and insight!!1 And it's true if you can manage your time because of all of the owork your doing this is when you will really need a manager. You don't want a manager thats not going to work as hard or harder then you do in your business!!!

I've written about finding a music manager on my site, but here are a few main tips:

Decide if you want an established manager or are willing to allow someone to grow on the job. Established managers are harder to get on board, although they should have existing contacts and know how the business works. They're probably managing others too though, so may not have as much time for you.

If you're willing to go with a passionate but inexperienced manager, while they could potentially spend more time on you, it will take longer to start seeing results. They also will make mistakes along the way. That said, if they're passionate and dedicated, it could work.

Look for managers on forums, in your existing network, find out who manages other people and contact them, check if you've got friends who want to get involved in the industry but aren't musically talented (though they should be good at business) and the like. I hope that helps. :)

...but a good manager, and by good I mean one that knows more than you and I business wise, will not waste their time on a newbie because they aren't interested in developing a new act like that.
Wrong. Thats what Ash Pournouri did with Tim Bergling back when Tim only wanted to make songs his friends could listen to.
Never say never.

Wrong. Thats what Ash Pournouri did with Tim Bergling back when Tim only wanted to make songs his friends could listen to.
Never say never.

lolol that's what i said on one of these posts. but there was a reason why he bothered to work with avicii. he needed a young act with a following and avicii (aka tim bergling) already had something like that going for himself. also ash was in developed and needed someone with the talent who was also just getting started. dude they were in developed back when blogs, youtube, online advertising, facebook, and so on were not the norm. long story short, a manager who has something going on for himself 9/10 times will not waste it on a newbie who has nothing to offer but their talent. same goes for independent labels and other entities with gatekeeper status.

side note: i know producers who make sub par music who get their music released on labels like unknown records to spinnin' records all because they have something those labels need versus you who can offer a far better mix. and the reason for that is is because they are full time DJs as well as producers. they brought something to the plate. what do we have? one great track and 47 plays on SC? its a popularity contest now lol

Last edited:
lolol that's what i said on one of these posts. but there was a reason why he bothered to work with avicii. he needed a young act with a following and avicii (aka tim bergling) already had something like that going for himself. also ash was in developed and needed someone with the talent who was also just getting started. dude they were in developed back when blogs, youtube, online advertising, facebook, and so on were not the norm. long story short, a manager who has something going on for himself 9/10 times will not waste it on a newbie who has nothing to offer but their talent. same goes for independent labels and other entities with gatekeeper status.

side note: i know producers who make sub par music who get their music released on labels like unknown records to spinnin' records all because they have something those labels need versus you who can offer a far better mix. and the reason for that is is because they are full time DJs as well as producers. they brought something to the plate. what do we have? one great track and 47 plays on SC? its a popularity contest now lol

It's the truth.

Back