If money wasnt an issue how would you market and promote your next project!

money is always a issue I don't know any business person who doesn't watch his/her ROI

promotion and album releases should be took seriously
and
have a detailed plan formulated
months before music is even released

TV, Radio, WorldstarHipHop Full Page ads, Datpiff featured with banners on homepage, XXL magazine ads, lots of ads running on google ads, use virool to promote professional music videos for the singles, buy a bunch of big name features, work with DJs to play singles or host project, top notch graphic design for websites and album art, and so on.

money is always a issue I don't know any business person who doesn't watch his/her ROI

promotion and album releases should be took seriously
and
have a detailed plan formulated
months before music is even released

This should be done with no budget anyway lol... This thread is hypothetical, so allow me to get wild for a second.

ANYWAY

If money wasn't a doubt, I'd do a tour. Not for profit.

My marketing campaign would simply be to hire Beyonce and Kim Kardashian for a photo shoot. Pose with them. Stick the photos up on billboards around the world in cities with strong Hip Hop roots. Those billboards would carry phrases like "Jay-Z and Kanye won't be there, but on DATE Hip Hop is back. Kicks off at TIME, at VENUE". Obviously more thought-out and clever. Would have to be insanely witty too. I'd also attach a list of the acts who will be performing at my magnificent gig on the billboard ads.

Then put the rest of my money in to my pocket, and do some sort of "give back at the gig". A car for everyone who turned up?

Hey... You said money wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
Looool that whole picture with beyonce and kim would actually get people talking.

tmicbeats - does virool actually work to promote music videos? I'm guess its a "more you put in the better" type of risk

Last edited by a moderator:
Be creative! Lets get this thread going

But...
When money IS an issue...
That's when you need to be the most creative, don't you think?

I've burnt through lots of money on paid advertising with few results, and I've seen others do the same.
I just started working with someone right now who had spent $700 on Facebook ads;
In return, he got 1000 Facebook likes and 60 newsletter subscribers.
Not such a great return on investment.

Since you're giving me the freedom of creative license,
I'll decide to line my pockets with all of the money
and spread the news of my project via word-of-mouth to my new socioeconomically elite peers.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Looool that whole picture with beyonce and kim would actually get people talking.

Indeed lol... When it comes to marketing I like to get people talking. A lot of marketers seem to forget that campaigns are supposed to leave you with an opinion and get you talking about it.

But...
When money IS an issue...
That's when you need to be the most creative, don't you think?

I've burnt through lots of money on paid advertising with few results, and I've seen others do the same.
I just started working with someone right now who had spent $700 on Facebook ads;
In return, he got 1000 Facebook likes and 60 newsletter subscribers.
Not such a great return on investment.

Since you're giving me the freedom of creative license,
I'll decide to line my pockets with all of the money
and spread the news of my project via word-of-mouth to my new socioeconomically elite peers.

-Ki
Salem Beats

It was never about being the most creative, just creative. I definitely agree with your statement though. I know all too well how working with no budget can be like. I have to do it for 4 artists lol.

Also, around $10 per mailing list subscriber can be a very good investment... Depends how well you monetise your mailing list though.

Facebook likes are worthless in my opinion anyway... Never concentrate on building your social media following people. WASTE.

Facebook likes are worthless in my opinion anyway... Never concentrate on building your social media following people. WASTE.

I Agree, When it comes to social media everyone will follow as soon as the buzz is there. its turned into a thing where you gotta let them come to you

Also, around $10 per mailing list subscriber can be a very good investment... Depends how well you monetise your mailing list though.

Spending $10 per subscriber is a serious problem.

If you assume that 10% to 33% of your subscribers read your emails and take you up on your offers,
you're spending between $33 to $100 for the first sale.

That's just bleeding out money.
To each his own, though.
Keep yourself informed of your ROI to keep honest with yourself about it.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Spending $10 per subscriber is a serious problem.

If you assume that 10% to 33% of your subscribers read your emails and take you up on your offers,
you're spending between $33 to $100 for the first sale.

That's just bleeding out money.
To each his own, though.
Keep yourself informed of your ROI to keep honest with yourself about it.

-Ki
Salem Beats

^ All irrelevant numbers, my friend. How much is your first sale?

To anyone wondering though, and actually considering spending money on marketing (I advise Salem to read):

If you're selling a product for say $300 to your mailing list/readership (very likely if you're a producer who values their time)... You should expect 10% to buy (Actual NON INFLATED industry standard)...

You spend $1000 on an ad campaign and make 100 subscribers. 10% bought. You've just made $2000 profit on your $1000 ad campaign.

Then, invest time in to creating customers for life... So Say 1% of those 100 subscribers become a repeat customer. Buying 10 beats each in the next 10 years of business. Now you've made $5000 from one campaign, all from a $1000 ad campaign.

All about relevance and time.

For someone like you Salem, it would all be worthless and so it would be better off trying to spend less than $1 per subscriber for a $25 beat license with free mastering.

P.S. Having "FREE Mastering! Coupon Code: " plastered in your signature is a way to devalue your brand, but to each his own.

P.P.S. Compare the 5% ROI with other ways of marketing, and yes, admittedly, it's a very poor way to market especially with the products we sell. However, compare it to other artists/producers, they are probably getting a lower return < hence my original comment.

Last edited:
If you're selling a product for say $300 to your mailing list/readership

I've got to stop you right there, and although you've acknowledged this in your edits after some careful consideration, it bears repeating:

We're in the music business.
We're very rarely selling a $300+ product, and when we do, it generally involves extra work.
This could be anything from creating a new beat to replace a beat license that was purchased exclusively,
starting work on a custom Soundclick layout,
sitting down with a customer to consult with him,
or whatever other custom-tailored work you do at high ticket value.

Obviously, you could come up with a ridiculous example of selling a house, car, successful business, yacht, or land.
Compared to the potential profit under these circumstances, $10 per each *highly qualified* subscriber is nothing.

However, with that in mind, keep in mind the implied context of your comment:
You're posting on FutureProducers.
$10 per subscriber is absolutely ridiculous, and anyone here who believes that's a good price is going to run out of money.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
If money wasn't an issue I'd probably grab a couple of dope artists I know and focus on putting together a undeniably good project. Then we'd hit the streets and do some heavy grass roots promo and get the streets buzzin. Once that's in motion rinse and repeat until we become established and then move on to bigger and better things...

You see, since money is an object for most of us, we gotta do other sh*t to get money and this IMO is a big reason why musicians, artists and producers lose momentum behind their movements. Now, when money isn't an object you can invest in your yourself, your artists and provide for your family so that eliminates a lot of the resistance for your movement.

Be creative! Lets get this thread going

I need more inspiration to be creative...

Depending on what I'm promoting I may invest in SEO and PPC to generate traffic to a specific landing page. Local events are promoted differently though. I'm not sure where to go with this specifically and don't really feel like writing 3000+ words about the different scenarios that come into play when marketing online and/or off. If you're looking for ideas to use in your own marketing situation, be as specific as possible with the details of you project and audience targets.

also, are we talking about charity money, where it doesn't matter if we make our investment back? Or will the money inested need to be earned back with profit on top? I want to dig in here but need more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to stop you right there, and although you've acknowledged this in your edits after some careful consideration, it bears repeating:

Yeah, I went full retard originally (added 0's when there shouldn't have been... Plus removed a question which actually you could easily have disagreed with. And with good reason to)

We're in the music business.
We're very rarely selling a $300+ product, and when we do, it generally involves extra work.
This could be anything from creating a new beat to replace a beat license that was purchased exclusively,
starting work on a custom Soundclick layout,
sitting down with a customer to consult with him,
or whatever other custom-tailored work you do at high ticket value.

Obviously, you could come up with a ridiculous example of selling a house, car, successful business, yacht, or land.
Compared to the potential profit under these circumstances, $10 per each *highly qualified* subscriber is nothing.

However, with that in mind, keep in mind the implied context of your comment:
You're posting on FutureProducers.

Still have to disagree with you though. We are arguing on the same topic though, RELEVANCE.

I know someone who's a producer and makes £500($850) pound off each beat. Is he "special"? Hell no... Through him I've met loads who would make that investment look fine when you see the figures they make annually. All in the music industry by the way. I think some have been on here (FP) at one stage or another too.

I also know someone else, (who I've signed to my label)... He makes between £200 and £1000 per sale. He is a Hip Hop producer.

You've got to remember, everyone on this forum have different circumstances (different music, different geographical areas, therefore different markets). You seem to recognise that everyone has different specialties... So someone who may also be a DJ could potentially earn much more than you as they can get gigs. So why don't you understand that the high earners CAN have such a high ad campaign investment with such a poor outcome? And why don't you understand that there are HIGH EARNERS?

I feel like I have to repeat this: It's all about relevance. Just because some on here can't sell a product for more than $50, doesn't mean they can't potentially make more or that there aren't others on here who do make more per sale.

You're also ignorant to my original comment.

"Also, around $10 per mailing list subscriber can be a very good investment... Depends how well you monetise your mailing list though."

I know so many people who don't know how to actually market themselves properly or efficiently.

$10 per subscriber is absolutely ridiculous, and anyone here who believes that's a good price is going to run out of money.

Anyone who believes that's a good price is going to run out of money, IF their numbers don't match.

Like I said, if they are making good money per sale, it's a good investment. If they are making only $25, it would be business suicide.

Last edited:
I hope to do alot of the stuff listed through a Angel Investor in the next five years
it's time to amp up because I been on stand-still for too long
turtle speed just trying to build a foundation

Last edited:
I know someone who's a producer and makes £500($850) pound off each beat. Is he "special"? Hell no... Through him I've met loads who would make that investment look fine when you see the figures they make annually. All in the music industry by the way. I think some have been on here (FP) at one stage or another too.
I also know someone else, (who I've signed to my label)... He makes between £200 and £1000 per sale. He is a Hip Hop producer.

At $10 per subscriber, it may take quite a bit of advertising to find a buyer who is willing and capable to regularly make $850 purchases.

You've got to remember, everyone on this forum have different circumstances (different music, different geographical areas, therefore different markets). You seem to recognise that everyone has different specialties... So someone who may also be a DJ could potentially earn much more than you as they can get gigs. So why don't you understand that the high earners CAN have such a high ad [snip...]

All of this is irrelevant.

In ABSOLUTE terms (not relative to the amount of money you're making), $10/subscriber is ridiculous, regardless of whether you're still able to salvage a profit.
Even if you're making enough money to offset the cost, you could be making MORE money by simply keeping the extra money you'd otherwise be throwing in the trash.
$10 is more appropriate for the marketing value of a first-time buyer than it is for the value of a speculative subscriber.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
At $10 per subscriber, it may take quite a bit of advertising to find a buyer who is willing and capable to regularly make $850 purchases.

Actually, both use mailing lists. Both use that as their main source of income. SO BOTH EXAMPLES ARE RELEVANT. Believe it or not, people do REGULARLY make 850$ purchases.

I think it's time for you to assess your market. Those rich rappers breaking bread with you?

In ABSOLUTE terms (not relative to the amount of money you're making), $10/subscriber is ridiculous, regardless of whether you're still able to salvage a profit.
Even if you're making enough money to offset the cost, you could be making MORE money by simply keeping the extra money you'd otherwise be throwing in the trash.

And where did I say any of this was wrong? I don't recall disagreeing that $10/subscriber can be ridiculous.

All I did was defend my original comment.

Do you still not recognise my point? We can go back and fourth all day...

Also, looking at things in just ABSOLUTE TERMS is not the way to do business. It won't even get you a pass mark in a Business degree lol.

The world is circumstantial. If you believe otherwise, you're ACTUALLY retarded. < Not meant as an insult.

Back