I have a huge opportunity, and need advice if this is a scam

Dzasta Beatz

About three days ago I released my new BeatTape called Need Hit Beats Vol 1. The BeatTape reached over 100 downloads on Datpiff and over 300 downloads on Got Instrumentals. I received a message yesterday on my Facebook like page from a Coast to Coast Dj who is working on this major project for producer's! He told me about this new project and due to the confidentiality of it I can't release the Dj's name or the name of the project. I did check and he is an official Coast to Coast Dj, his name is also a registered trademark. My music had to be approved for the project in front of 3 people. My beats got approved and they loved our shit.... The only thing is in order for me to get locked in I have to pay only $118 for this major project! And the payment can only be made Western Union or Money Gram. That's the part the sounds fishy..... Everything else sounds legit but why would I need to pay $118 only through Western Union or Money Gram. Why can't I pay through paypal lol.....

This is the message he left on Facebook

Salute Dzasta Beatz! I am Dj ******* an official Coast 2 Coast Mixtapes Dj. We are scouting music talent from around the globe and the fact that you are a Producer has caught our attention. While scouting we came across your music, and needless to say, we are impressed. We offer various exciting Coast 2 Coast Mixtape projects for Independent Producers to become involved with... The projects offer great exposure to thousands of Artists as well as a ton promotion. Again, you were specifically scouted and we would love to talk with you today. Please give us a call at ***-***-**** (24 Hour Live Service). Thanks!

www.coast2coastmixtapes.com

Dzasta Beatz, this is a serious opportunity for "Serious Producers". It is an honor to reach out to you! I look forward to speaking with you personally, as this is not an automated system. Dj ********

*Dj ****** ***** is also a Registered Trademark*

I contacted him, talked to him personally and he explained the whole project and he also sent me a project invitation. Please let me know if anyone has ever received an opportunity like this and had doubts. Or if this is a scam....

They claim it's not an automated message, but it sure seems like one. Very sketchy proposal. I would probably stay away, personally. But maybe I'm wrong. The general rule of thumb is that you should not have to pay (especially that much) for a placement. Is this magical project going to earn you any returns on your "investment"?

Ive had similar letters sent direct to my house. Got all excited that a label loved my music, but they wanted over $400 to get 2 or 3 songs into some indie compilation. Upon further investigation, the compilations were released on a very limited basis, and I was told I would get paid if the comp sold over 100k copies, which was never going to happen in the first place, coz they don't even try to move 10 copies. That was undeniably a scam. Others had that experience too. Can't say if yours is the same, but it sounds a lil familiar...

Last edited:
limiting payment options to only western union/moneygram is considered the hallmark of a financial scam even here in Australia

- no contract forwarded to you, no alternative contact details, these being missing all set off alarm bells for me

- avoid it like the plague and maybe report it to your state based consumer affairs bureau

"Salute " - no one starts a business proposal with salute.
"official Coast 2 Coast Mixtapes DJ" - no official DJ calls themselves official.
"the fact that you are a Producer has caught our attention." - very vague.
"we are impressed" - vague (with what?).
"various exciting Coast 2 Coast Mixtape projects" - vague, you don't do business with someone like this.

They're either sending out bulk emails to every producer linked with a certain website or they're very incompetent at what they do.

I think the most offensive thing about this scam is that they can't even be bothered to set up mail that autocompletes your name so it seems more personalized.

Last edited:
No legitimate company will EVER ask you for money. Period! Simple as that. And don't get down on yourself about this. At least you had the good sense to ask about this at this forum. This is one of the reasons this site is here. The world is full of sharks that feed on people's dreams. Good luck!

Yeah, just keep doing what you're doing; before you know it, the next email could say, "I wanna buy this track, how much is it?"

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Yeahh I'ma definitely do some research and I will let y'all know if this is a scam or the real deal!!!

I'll save you some time. No legitamite company will EVER ask for money. Period. Simple as that. Put your time and energy into something worthwhile. Good luck!

I myself have been contacted by Coast2Coast multiple times. Don't even bother. It'll be money wasted because one way or another they are trying to make money. If they think they can make money off of sales, then youre an asset to them which means they should be paying you. Rather than doing that, theyre asking for money from YOU which means they arent expecting to make money from the tape itself.

It's a scam, someone exposed a similar scam here on another post.

I hate to say it but they are sending out the same automated message to ALOT of new artist trying to earn money from slots on the mixtapes people purchase and buy.

Smh guys do your research. You're NOT known so it cost to be the boss it's only $100 for hunnits worth of promotion & you get to be amongst the stars thats a great deal. You get out what you put in so invest in yourself not just once but a bunch of times. & if you look it up Lil' Fats (The main promoter of Coast2Coast Mixtapes) has helped a bunch of artist that PAID to be on their mixtapes get major record deal opportunities those ranging from Wiz, 2 Chainz, Tone Trump, Flo Rida, Short Dawg, & a couple more. It's a great opportunity I'm taking it & I reccomend it. You're gonna hear about Tylique Marrón & Tray-Oh Ent very soon #UpNext

Smh guys do your research. You're NOT known so it cost to be the boss it's only $100 for hunnits worth of promotion & you get to be amongst the stars thats a great deal. You get out what you put in so invest in yourself not just once but a bunch of times. & if you look it up Lil' Fats (The main promoter of Coast2Coast Mixtapes) has helped a bunch of artist that PAID to be on their mixtapes get major record deal opportunities those ranging from Wiz, 2 Chainz, Tone Trump, Flo Rida, Short Dawg, & a couple more. It's a great opportunity I'm taking it & I reccomend it. You're gonna hear about Tylique Marrón & Tray-Oh Ent very soon #UpNext

Didn't know Lil Fats was on this board. Cool.

It is irrelevant if you are known or unknown, if someone thinks your music is worth putting on a mixtape or other compilation for public release, then they should be paying you instead of asking you to front the costs: if they see value in your work they should put their money where their mouth is, not ask you to put your money into their mouths

If a company approaches me and says they like what I write, would I like to publish it by paying them $150, I would say no; these types of approaches are no different to any other vanity publishing operation

Last edited:
It is irrelevant if you are known or unknown, if someone thinks your music is worth putting on a mixtape or other compilation for public release, then they should be paying you instead of asking you to front the costs: if they see value in your work they should put their money where their mouth is, not ask you to put your money into their mouths

If a company approaches me and says they like what I write, would I like to publish it by paying them $150, I would say no; these types of approaches are no different to any other vanity publishing operation

Bro you have to pay to get exposure nothing is free if you think people are just gonna pay you & you need them then in the words of Money Mike "You got the game f**ked up". & for whoever has to pay through moneygram is gettin' scammed cause I'm payin' through PayPal but I'll let you guys know how it goes they can help get your music in the right hands. & no offense none of you guys have the true blueprint cause y'all not signed not sayin' I'm better or anything like that because I'm not signed either but it takes money to make money it is a few gigs you get paid but you gotta invest somewhere down the line

this was the message originally received by theOP

"Salute Dzasta Beatz! I am Dj ******* an official Coast 2 Coast Mixtapes Dj. We are scouting music talent from around the globe and the fact that you are a Producer has caught our attention. While scouting we came across your music, and needless to say, we are impressed. We offer various exciting Coast 2 Coast Mixtape projects for Independent Producers to become involved with... The projects offer great exposure to thousands of Artists as well as a ton promotion. Again, you were specifically scouted and we would love to talk with you today. Please give us a call at ***-***-**** (24 Hour Live Service). Thanks!

Coast 2 Coast Mixtapes | Magazine | DJ Coalition | Radio | Videos | Music Promotion | Audio | Artists | DJs

Dzasta Beatz, this is a serious opportunity for "Serious Producers". It is an honor to reach out to you! I look forward to speaking with you personally, as this is not an automated system. Dj ********

*Dj ****** ***** is also a Registered Trademark*"

that is an invitation to be on a tape

then we have

"My music had to be approved for the project in front of 3 people. My beats got approved and they loved our shit.... The only thing is in order for me to get locked in I have to pay only $118 for this major project! And the payment can only be made Western Union or Money Gram. That's the part the sounds fishy..... Everything else sounds legit but why would I need to pay $118 only through Western Union or Money Gram. Why can't I pay through paypal lol....."

and as I noted the first time around

"limiting payment options to only western union/moneygram is considered the hallmark of a financial scam even here in Australia

- no contract forwarded to you, no alternative contact details, these being missing all set off alarm bells for me"

at minimum there should be a contract detailing rights and responsibilities of both parties

payment to a name via western union/money gram is considered by many in law enforcement as the hallmark (identifying feature) of several types of financial scam

my advice remains as it was at the beginning - this is a scam; steer clear of it and report it to the authorities as soon as you can - it may even classify as a racketeering scam crossing state or national borders which means federal law enforcement involvement

Not sure man don't risk it, there's other great legit opportunities out there.

Back