How you suppose to network with major artists when u in the middle of nowhere?

The first thing that i can say is that you need belief. You sound like you are on the brink of possibly giving up. it seems that you said you have been doing this for a year.

I have been making music since i was 5. practicing drums, playing piano (classically) as well as the guitar and I Still haven't made an adequate salary from my craft.

The thing is to never give up. I am 26 and still think that I will make music a career, but i practice everyday, nonstop. On top of all that I still stayed in school to get a degree in music production and business and it's still kind of hard out here.

You are NOT just gonna have something fall in your lap, though. You HAVE to make an effort to get somewhere, where you are around more opportunity. If you live in a remote place where there are no events, then YOU HAVE TO MOVE. I have never told someone what they have to do, but this is a fact. internet success is a proving ground and it's cut throat just like real life. You have to make sure that you network with people that aren't famous either. That's how I eat. It shouldn't matter who you work with, as long as the music is good.

Go to your downtown government building and see how you can get a grant for education for what you want to do. I have 2 degrees and I am still about to get another piece of paper from this recording school in Ohio and when I am done there, I am moving to LA.

But that's me. you have to keep challenging yourself. Never stop. Find people that you feel Challenged by. That's what can help you see life in another lite.

SMACK

yea but look at all the down talk and criticism he had to put up wit to get a half ass answer. he didnt ask what do u think about my skillz.Do you know how many beats i've heard from major labels that if u jus block out the lyrics and jus listen to the beat it's no more fancier than some og the good beatmakers in cities abroad. only difference i hear is a expensive mix and waster with an artist who has nice sound/timbre

It's funny you say that JayJizzle cos i just got another dose of real life.

I found out that the college course i applied for has been full since before i even applied but the b1tch handling my application didn't tell me that when i applied in person. I've called 4 times to check up on it and she didn't tell me then either.

It turns out that she put the wrong course down on the system, didn't change it when i asked her to, didn't forward either of my applications to the relevant people and didn't tell me that it was full either. Dumb b1tch. And now she tells me that ALL the courses are completely full. Bullshyt.

Now i've got to wait until November to see if they'll do the course again in January and if not i'll have to wait another year.

I'm actually wanting to be a cop now after i saw this program about cops during the G20 riot in London. I've thought about it before but didn't think it'd be an option since i originally wanted to be a gangsta rapper and then an urban music producer. But fuk it. If i can't do a college degree until next year i'll probably get some more info from the local station and apply.

But i need to get into shape first and then pass my driving test.

AT JUNYADRIN - What the fuk are you talking about? Most people gave him helpful advice including hopefully me. Even after bytching about it you didn't help him yourself.

And now after coming back you didn't answer the question or help him at all yourself. And what do you mean "half ass answer"? Do you want a fuking essay or a setailed 150 page analysis and step by step breakdown?

How about instead of bytching, next time you try to help him yourself?

At mr. hiphopbeatmaker- I was looking at the thread cuz i was curious myself but i noticed how some felt the need to try to tell a guy he hasn't been doing it long enough when that wasnt even the fuking question.

Relocate to where you believe the big artists are at. If you cannot do this or not willing to do so then you need to come up with a different strategy for success.

I was like you before but I stepped back into reality. dude just get a day job and finish school. Do the beats on the side as a hobby or something and collab with local artists. Like someone said earlier, you gotta create a buzz and those major people will look for you. Good luck trying to be the next Soulja Boy and just hit it big with a weak ass song. When you read interviews and ish on the internet about producers and rappers, they all started at the bottom, created a buzz and worked there way up! Theres no need to try and hit the lotto.

I know a cat that makes beats for local artists and pay him well. He said it gets frustrating that his artists prefer certain beats that arent really his style but he cant do anything about it because he gets paid nice and want to continue the relationship. Sometimes he tells me its not fun anymore and feels like a regular job which is BAD in my book because making music is suppose to be fun as hell! especially intoxicated!

Last edited:
clearly i know that... I dont expect to make any money off any beats in the next year, 2 or 3 years even.. that doesnt mean i shouldnt network with ppl.

I was like you before but I stepped back into reality. dude just get a day job and finish school. Do the beats on the side as a hobby or something and collab with local artists. Like someone said earlier, you gotta create a buzz and those major people will look for you. Good luck trying to be the next Soulja Boy and just hit it big with a weak ass song. When you read interviews and ish on the internet about producers and rappers, they all started at the bottom, created a buzz and worked there way up! Theres no need to try and hit the lotto.

I know a cat that makes beats for local artists and pay him well. He said it gets frustrating that his artists prefer certain beats that arent really his style but he cant do anything about it because he gets paid nice and want to continue the relationship. Sometimes he tells me its not fun anymore and feels like a regular job which is BAD in my book because making music is suppose to be fun as hell! especially intoxicated!

lol ye thats exactly what I don't wanna do. I would never make a beat that I dont even like jus to get paid... I've said a few times i dont give a **** about the money. To me its the lifestyle I'm after. I just want to work with talented musicians(ppl i believe are talented) and make good music.

The first thing that i can say is that you need belief. You sound like you are on the brink of possibly giving up. it seems that you said you have been doing this for a year.

I have been making music since i was 5. practicing drums, playing piano (classically) as well as the guitar and I Still haven't made an adequate salary from my craft.

The thing is to never give up. I am 26 and still think that I will make music a career, but i practice everyday, nonstop. On top of all that I still stayed in school to get a degree in music production and business and it's still kind of hard out here.

You are NOT just gonna have something fall in your lap, though. You HAVE to make an effort to get somewhere, where you are around more opportunity. If you live in a remote place where there are no events, then YOU HAVE TO MOVE. I have never told someone what they have to do, but this is a fact. internet success is a proving ground and it's cut throat just like real life. You have to make sure that you network with people that aren't famous either. That's how I eat. It shouldn't matter who you work with, as long as the music is good.

Go to your downtown government building and see how you can get a grant for education for what you want to do. I have 2 degrees and I am still about to get another piece of paper from this recording school in Ohio and when I am done there, I am moving to LA.

But that's me. you have to keep challenging yourself. Never stop. Find people that you feel Challenged by. That's what can help you see life in another lite.

SMACK

nah im not gunna quit lol what gives you that impression... if anything i'm on the brink of quitting everything but music and just making beats 8 hours a day and selling "plants" on the side to survive... however I don't think im at the level yet where I can dedicate myself to it fulltime, but I'm getting there. Good call though on the belief thing i think everyone creates their own reality n if u dont believe you can do something then u basically already failed. N I will see you in LA I plan on moving out there as soon as I finish school n bank like 5-10 gs to pay for apartment for a couple months.

clearly i know that... I dont expect to make any money off any beats in the next year, 2 or 3 years even.. that doesnt mean i shouldnt network with ppl.

The point I am trying to make is not that you should not network... Go ahead and network as much as you can...

But...

If your skills are not truly top notch (and you have to be able to see youself objectively) you should not be trying to network as a producer. If you start telling top people "check out my music and let's work together", they will see you as an inconsequential person with nothing to offer and they will always see you that way even if you improve your skills in the future...

What youshould do is network as "hey I'm looking to get into the business... Do you need an assistant or a gopher or anything? I am serious and I work hard and will doo what it takes to make it... Oh, and by the way, I am starting to make some tracks. Maybe you can give me some advice?"

then they will know that *you* know you are still learning (because, believe me, *they* will he able to size you up right away) and they will be able to follow your growth.

Back