How and When to use an Industry Contact

Ryan More

Man I got a contact from someone from in the industry. They gave me their email and phone number. I have had it for about a month, but i dont wanna wait too long without hitting them up. Problem is i dont know what to say and i have to admit im nervous about it. Has anyone been in this situation before? if so i could use some advice. I know the key to being succesful in any business is networking and building relationships. how do i start?

Last edited:
From my experience it varies, depending on how the relationship started. ?? give us a little more details on this got started...

Basically man our group (who aint even together anymore) performed at a showcase one of the judges was an a&r from def jam (i did a background check on him) we our performance wasnt the greatest and one of us even forgot a few lines, but even though we didnt have everything all the way together he came over and complimented our songwriting and original production. We talked for a couple mins and he wrote down his email and phone number and told us to send him music. he knows we probably arent ready for a deal or nothing, but he did seem sincere about keeping in touch with us, idk.

Basically man our group (who aint even together anymore) performed at a showcase one of the judges was an a&r from def jam (i did a background check on him) we our performance wasnt the greatest and one of us even forgot a few lines, but even though we didnt have everything all the way together he came over and complimented our songwriting and original production. We talked for a couple mins and he wrote down his email and phone number and told us to send him music. he knows we probably arent ready for a deal or nothing, but he did seem sincere about keeping in touch with us, idk.

I see, If i was in that position i would have shot him a email (if you arent comfortable with calling) or called him about 4 to 6 days later. But since you are way past that, i would def. call him. If you wait to long he will forget who you even are. These A&Rs talk to ALOT of people and its extremely easy to be forgot about. Even if he shows interest, they show interest in several people at the same time. Its part of there job..
CALL HIM!

I was hoping you said email lol idk what to say, but yea I need to hit him up ima call him 2ma. thanks man

Last edited:
Why are you talking to him about the band if it has split up? Are you planning on getting the band back together if you get some good news?

If so I wouldn't be telling the A+R this. I would be telling them how the band was practicing day and night to get the performance tighter. Explains the delay in calling the A+R too.

Why are you talking to him about the band if it has split up? Are you planning on getting the band back together if you get some good news?

If so I wouldn't be telling the A+R this. I would be telling them how the band was practicing day and night to get the performance tighter. Explains the delay in calling the A+R too.

um, no. i wouldnt start off a business relationship with a lie

secondly its not a first date in highschool
you should have emailed him that first night so he doesnt forget you
a&rs do a million things in a day so attention spans are null

hit him up let him know the group has been going through some things and if youre still making music, send him some
let him know that the qualities he appreciated in your music with the group will still be there without the other members holding you (or whomever else) back any longer.

there really isnt a "how & when" just talk to them like you would anybody
be sociable and keep intouch, eventually normal every day conversation will flow and it wont be an awkward business call every time you speak
best case scenario you can call this guy one of your friends in the industry a year from now and lets face it
would you rather make money with your friends or some stranger who sends an email once every couple months?

I love it when Cas posts kuz he says the things that I have been thinking but unsure of for a few years

um, no. i wouldnt start off a business relationship with a lie

It's nothing to do with telling the truth or not - it's about presentation.

You're asking a company through A+R to invest a lot of money in you (If the plan is indeed to get the band back together after some good news) and so they will want to feel confident that they will be doing the right thing for their money. I would initially want to present an image of a hardworking band, eager for success, who is not prone to splitting up. This will not only give me the best chance of getting somewhere with the contact but is also an image that I am happy to have spread if that happens.

Do whatever's comfortable though but it is important to think about presentation even before getting signed.

I like the "Decided to go solo" idea though. This can also explain the delay and it can imply that the other members were holding you back. (Or you could say so as mentioned above - which may be a lie off course :)) This may be a different thing from what A+R was interested in though but worth a try if you want to do this.

It's nothing to do with telling the truth or not - it's about presentation.

You're asking a company through A+R to invest a lot of money in you (If the plan is indeed to get the band back together after some good news) and so they will want to feel confident that they will be doing the right thing for their money. I would initially want to present an image of a hardworking band, eager for success, who is not prone to splitting up. This will not only give me the best chance of getting somewhere with the contact but is also an image that I am happy to have spread if that happens.

Do whatever's comfortable though but it is important to think about presentation even before getting signed.

I like the "Decided to go solo" idea though. This can also explain the delay and it can imply that the other members were holding you back. (Or you could say so as mentioned above - which may be a lie off course :)) This may be a different thing from what A+R was interested in though but worth a try if you want to do this.

i just figured he might say something like heys lets all meet up somewhere, and 3 of the 5 members in the group refuse to show up...after you just told the a&r that things are going great
it would look bad

never lie about something that can be so easily figured out

but thats just my opinion

i just figured he might say something like heys lets all meet up somewhere, and 3 of the 5 members in the group refuse to show up...after you just told the a&r that things are going great
it would look bad

never lie about something that can be so easily figured out

but thats just my opinion

I doubt they will be stubborn and reluctant to come if there is a deal on the table lol. You need to be on this asap, call the other members, let them know what's up first, cause you don't wanna give them a surprise call like umm yea come. But do this asap, call the a&r asap and be confident in your speech. Your a product, market your self to match the presentation of Nike. (Not really but just go hard bro) :monkey:

Back