How To Sell Beats: The Basics

legendarybeatz

This post is through what I have experienced and not purely from a theoretical standpoint. I have used the practices that I am about to tell you and would suggest for any producer who is or will be selling beats to try these techniques out and build your own theories on it.. So Let's Get Started.

Change Your Mind, Change The Game
Of course this is not completely true, but it is true in the following reality: If you keep focus and work hard and continually learn more about your specialty and apply what you've learned, you will see progress. Many believe in the "Theory of Attraction" though it has it's perks, everything will not be perfect, just because you are positive. Ever heard of the statement "faith with out works is dead"? What this means is that if you do not put in the work and apply your positive outlook on life, and apply your skill and knowledge, then why are you really doing what your doing? These things act as a powerful tool together, not separate. I've seen myself come from getting $20 a month from sales to now on average about $300 a month. I'm not the best producer in the world or the best salesman, but I've learned some things on the way and the only reason why I'm not making more, is because I place limits on myself by not working hard enough - and that's a fact.

Be Honest With Yourself
There are so many beat makers, but so little producers. I say this because many beat makers come into the game thinking that they can just put together sounds and then upload them to soundclick and then they will make millions - WRONG. Being a producer is not only about putting your life and soul into every beat, but learning how to be a salesman and how to show your prospective clients that you are more than just what they hear. Being a producer is being able to sell, produce, maintain quality for all of your products. A Producer is a one-man marketing team, a one-man business and should be treated as such. If you are not ready to learn and grow in this field or in anything you do, then why waste yours and your client's time. LIVE/LEARN/GROW/SUCCEED

Build Relationships
I see many artists/producers send links out over facebook/twitter in the message box saying "download these hot bangin beats (link)" or something like that. This is the worst way to promote!!! Artists/listeners don't like this tactic at all.

Think of this scenario: your sitting down having dinner with your family and it's around 8pm. The phone starts to ring and you excuse yourself from the table and go to answer the phone. You quickly answer the phone and you hear this recording: "Hey! We are selling home improvement services in your area for only ..." *CLICK* You hang up the phone and go back to the dinner table disgusted.

This is how artists/listeners feel when you send your link to them without building a relationship first. YOU ARE SPAMMING if you do this process. Always think of the consumer and then think of yourself when it comes to marketing. Always remember this, the artist you are messaging does not know you, neither have they ever heard of you before, but you send them a link to Beats? For How much Money? No! Please don't do this.. Learn to talk to your clients, figure out what type of music they make. Find out if they work and have a job so they can actually pay or beats. If their broke, then why waste time sending them a link? If you can narrow down the artist who actually have money and you gather the correct information from them, then you save more time and have more possible clients that you know have money. Now all you have to do is make the beats.

Closing Remarks
I"m not the best marketer or producer in the world, but I have learned some things. I've been selling beats online since 2004 and I do not see myself quitting anytime soon. I've had my good days and my bad days, but when I had those good days, it always outweighed the bad. Keep your head up and never lose that passion that you had the first time you produced that first beat.

Hope this helps someone.

Be You. Be Legendary
LegendaryBeatz

*Please hit the like button if you think this should be a sticky - Thanks!*

Last edited:
Great post buddy:

If majority of producers could be doing like that then they could be far in living off their dreams and stopped to complain about lacking sales

Sell Beats | Buy Beats from producers | Selling Beats Online |© www.beatmart.net

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Great post buddy:

If majority of producers could be doing like that then they could be far in living off their dreams and stopped to complain about lacking sales

Sell Beats | Buy Beats from producers | Selling Beats Online |© www.beatmart.net

Yea @DahTrump! Definitely would be great if you could do that.. Thanks!

Great man, just send me an email at connect@dahtrump.com with a description of yourself and the links to your website and other media like Twitter or Facebook. Also send me a picture or a logo of yourself... I need this because at the bottom of the article it's going to say this article is written by you and have all the info I asked in it. You'll see!

Send me an email with that info! connect@dahtrump.com

Providing content to your followers is also beneficial for so many reasons and can build your authority and trust. For instance, writing a short article or recording a quick video on a subject like promoting your own music on YouTube would be something that just about any emcee would want to check out.

I've just started doing this, and while I haven't made thousands of beat sales from writing an article, I have indeed had a few responses, and a personal message on Facebook from someone I look up to (Life And Death Productions). This lead to a really great conversation and we provided each other with great content for hours. Needless to say, we formed a pretty good relationship just because he liked something that I typed up in about half an hour!

Back