How to protect beats without copyrighting?

Wow lol...it seems like they're going all out on stealing an individual's craft nowadays. I wouldn't doubt that people would go that far though, but I would still consider using a tag for safety purposes. Then again, an individual should be ableto recognize their own beat, tag, or not. Appreciate the response btw.

Tags are for PROMOTION not PROTECTION

I think the easiest way is to keep the original file of the program in which the beat was created, (.rsn , .abl , etc) and in there there are two dates: - created and modified - (command i - Mac)

So if someone steals your beat, by that fact you can prove it's your beat, and when it was made. I dunno if it will prove efficient in a professional law situation, maybe somebody can corroborate that.

Last edited:
I mean they could, if they wanted to take chances like they usually do nowadays lol. It really depends on wisdom and knowledge of copyrights and the law because you can still get your music stolen "legally" if you don't know to do and the opposition does.

Honest from the hip...dudes spend too much time worrying about "beats" getting stole in a time when beats are worthless. You can find a million free ones in a quick google search that are better than yours(whoever you are including myself, so not dissing anyone). All that "I make quality' talk is crap, plenty of guys make 'quality" with a free download link.

THE BEST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU IF YOU'RE NOT SHOPPING TRACKS TO MAJORS OR RECORDING ARTISTS YOURSELF, IS HAVE SOME NOBODY STEAL YOUR TRACK AND BLOW UP.

Keep your session files. If that's not enough to prove you made it, the beat was worthless in the 1st place(easily remade better than the original to the point you have no argument anyway, they can just say they never heard yours and had similar ideas).

Last edited:
Simple solution!!! Give your songs away for free. Let anyone and every one have them!!! if you have talent and get good you'l soon start making money and be paid for your work. If you get signed the label will worry about copyright or if you're not signed and making lots of paid for beats, your manager will worry about it.

People will rip you off regardless to what you do, just move on! Concentrate on what matters, the music!

it's good to know a bit about the subject but it's a pointless battle.

Derange Is spot on with his words above!

Last edited:
Simple solution!!! Give your songs away for free. Let anyone and every one have them!!! if you have talent and get good you'l soon start making money and be paid for your work. If you get signed the label will worry about copyright or if you're not signed and making lots of paid for beats, your manager will worry about it.

People will rip you off regardless to what you do, just move on! Concentrate on what matters, the music!

it's good to know a bit about the subject but it's a pointless battle.

Derange Is spot on with his words above!

songs aren't worthless instrumentals at this point are
unless you add worth to them by actually networking with artists beyond "yo I got beats 3 for $10"
I sold a exclusive to a artist for $250 last week this is because I have build a solid relationship with him over several months

this is what I teach my clients to do is to make songs if you're a recording artists and do gigs over just trying to sell songs online
I teach my clients who are producers to have alternate sources of income besides selling leases like money from a blog,drumkits,etc..
and mailing list marketing can create a cash cow for you.

True useful information in you email blasts (weekly or bi-weekly) must have a standard schedule bringing those who have already showed interest in your company already to your site with your control the information and have several CTAs(call to action).
And only once a month emailing those on your list your products you're selling besides instrumentals like drumkits,e-books,training material.

Building up your mailing list takes time a patience,it has took me close to 2 years to see steady results and hopefully I'll be blessed to continue to grow my company through this tool.

So get a better sales pitch and get that pitch out there through relationships you make.
Also have instrumentals that aren't available at your beat store so you have exclusive ones never heard beyond the exact artist you're creating a relationship with this takes away a lot of that (my instrumentals can be stolen paranoia).

And everyone is trying to make beats for artists and stay down that dark tunnel than looking for company to license their music to. Branch out soon as I buy my home it's 90% of my music based revenue should come from actually crafting songs for artists.
I understand not everyone is interested in recording artists, mixing songs, and bringing ppl into their home.

I think I have had a hard time selling instrumentals as I only focus on Christian artists and have still saw success while others have a larger market to sell to so sometimes I just see it as lazy and not using the tools around them. I understand when first starting to market your music you have to learn business and about those tools.

I learned so much for mentor on this site who don't ever know they are mentoring me lol.. like Deranged I learned a lot from him. So a lot have to do from being around the right people and can create keys that will open up plenty of doors for your company

Truth from Deranged and fataltone - great information, fellas.

A simple way for someone to not be able to chop your beat and remake it while also protecting your session files is to just upload the song to your Soundcloud with an acapella over it.

That alone has attracted artists all over the world to now work with me besides just the locals I have in Bmore and DC because they can get a better picture of how THEY might sound over one of my instrumentals. Plus, you can't chop or steal my beat when someone's spittin all over it.

Listen guys I'll be straight honest--I'm not on soundcloud anymore because the first and last beat I put up was for a free download--because I had sampled Billy Evan's Summertime.

It was then downloaded and a few months later ended up on Lloyd Banks album, slightly edited, as "On The Double."

Yea--that's mine--and I've still got the fruity loops file from years ago to prove it--however, WTF do I do, right?

It was sampled, so I couldn't protect it, but wanted people to hear it, so I uploaded it for a free download. Yeah--well one ass heard it, copped it, and the day I heard it on Lloyd Banks album, I erased my soundcloud and quite honestly, haven't released a beat to anyone since.

So, it's not always the bedroom rapper stealing stuff. Produced by the watcherz my ass, and they know it.

But, that's just one more challenge tapping into the business...

Listen guys I'll be straight honest--I'm not on soundcloud anymore because the first and last beat I put up was for a free download--because I had sampled Billy Evan's Summertime.

It was then downloaded and a few months later ended up on Lloyd Banks album, slightly edited, as "On The Double."

Yea--that's mine--and I've still got the fruity loops file from years ago to prove it--however, WTF do I do, right?

It was sampled, so I couldn't protect it, but wanted people to hear it, so I uploaded it for a free download. Yeah--well one ass heard it, copped it, and the day I heard it on Lloyd Banks album, I erased my soundcloud and quite honestly, haven't released a beat to anyone since.

So, it's not always the bedroom rapper stealing stuff. Produced by the watcherz my ass, and they know it.

But, that's just one more challenge tapping into the business...

Is that horn stab the only sample? I would've ran with that beat cuz it def doesn't sound there are any recognizable samples.

Back