How to make money as a song writer?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
Just curious and I want to know how a new songwriter would go about making money. What are some good places for a new songwriter to start and how would he or she would sell their services. Any and all information is appreciated

If you´re new?
2 things is more important than anything else:
1) Write great songs
2) network a lot

To write and produce great songs you need skills. Keep on grinding day out day in and you will become better and better.
Network with songwriters, producers, managers, artists; either on the net - but preferably also in "the real world" as the kids call it :cool:

In my book, this is all there is to it.
The more you do the above, the better.

Last edited:
Keep track of your writing credits, register them with a PRO and ensure that you retain all exploitation rights if you make sales of exclusives - it is the residual payments on successful tunes that you can make shiploads of money from

Register your songs with ASCAP, then submit to Pump Audio. They license music of independent artists to big tv companys.
I haven't done neither of the two, but I'm willing to.

Just curious and I want to know how a new songwriter would go about making money. What are some good places for a new songwriter to start and how would he or she would sell their services. Any and all information is appreciated

The answer to you questions are more than one, we need to know more about who you write for. Songwriters are collaborators at the end of the day, unless they perform their written songs. Otherwise, your ability to make money would based on the deals you make with performers and studios.

Last edited:
The answer to you questions are more than one, we need to know more about who you write for. Songwriters are collaborators at the end of the day, unless they perform their written songs. Otherwise, your ability to make money would based on the deals you make with performers and studios.

At the moment no one. Btw this isn't for me, but a family member who wants to get into songwriting. But she wants to write more RnB and Pop songs. However there doesn't seem to be many people willing to have people write for them. So I'm just wondering what ways do fellow song writers go about connecting with other artists

At the moment no one. Btw this isn't for me, but a family member who wants to get into songwriting. But she wants to write more RnB and Pop songs. However there doesn't seem to be many people willing to have people write for them. So I'm just wondering what ways do fellow song writers go about connecting with other artists

Nonsense everyone in the industry LOVES songwriters. Whether you write a beat or lyrics you are in demand. A lot of famous acts are successful because they too another route be writing for others and getting credit for it to boot.

Back