How important is image?

wmsproductions

When decided whether to check out a new artist how important is image? This question pertains to new artist not any already established.

So where does image, in at all, rank on your list outside of the actual music?

What do you mean by image? As in an actual image of the person or the way he/she presents herself on the internet?

If it's the latter, I'd say it holds medium weight. I'm much more likely to listen to your track if the website is presented well (soundcloud case in point) but at the end of the day it's always the music that does the talking.

Actual image of the person.

Assume you haven't heard any of the music does it affect whether you check out the music or not? If you have two artist one that has the image of Lady GaGa another Erika Badu does image play a factor and who you would check?

Difficult to say, I guess it does, initially, but like I said, if you're churning out shite then it doesn't matter what you look like. Again, the music speaks louder than any image, imo.

Image is EVERYTHING when you're a new artist. I'm a concert promoter in Colorado and I got through lots of demos and EPKs daily. You need to make yourself seem professional even if you aren't yet. Have a solid one sheet(bio) that makes your music sound like something I want to hear. Don't give me an actual bio, I could care less how long you have been making music or what your buddies name is from 6th grade you used to cypher with, I never throw shows to people with those bios. Have a quality high-res photo too. You want to make yourself seem ahead of everyone else. Every little up you have from the competition will help you a ton in the long run.

Producers are stars now. They are just as big and in some cases maybe even bigger than the artists. I am not sure it would be wise to having an unappealing image as a producer but I may be wrong.

Also this question is just for artist. For a little background I produce and I am debating on the best way to put out some artist I am working with. The music is already there but I am just seeing what else to focus on to get maximum exposure things that worked for me might not work for them as an artist.

Image means nothing thurst is....lol

All jokes aside after spending about 7 years participating in the industry I feel that it used to matter but now it doesn't, its ALL about the music. I will admit that if your pushing a girl, image is a little helpful but i you have great songs looks will be an after thought.

My 2 pennies,:monkey:

P

When decided whether to check out a new artist how important is image? This question pertains to new artist not any already established.

So where does image, in at all, rank on your list outside of the actual music?

Perception is reality for a lot of people. If an artist presents him/herself in a professional manner, generally people are more likely to listen to the music as opposed to if it were sloppy.

Back