How do you start and establish your own Music Production Company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dramatic

I was just curious to know how you start and establish your own Music Production Company? What do you need to do as far as getting a location/building, getting all the studio equipment, hiring audio engineers etc... basically everything from the first and final step and actually promoting your business to get artists to come through.

Well first I would build up clients and get some kind of money flowing in.

Then shop for a building usually the small, independently owned strip mall type building are the cheapest around 400 to 750 a month depending on space.

Make your business official, get the name trademarked, get business licenses and a TIN Otax ID). Open a business bank account, try and get some bussiness lons if you can to pay for equipment and such.

But really you could just use you setup you have now, because if its a production company (like a record label) it doesn't matter what equipment you use because its soley for you.

lol I worked backwards.. took a lil while but things are getting bak together..

its rough..

j.troup said:
nobody's going to write your business plan for you...sorry.
There are people and companies that do that for you.

1. Contact Lawyer/Accountant
2. Write your own business plan or get one done

Beats_BANG! said:
Well first I would build up clients and get some kind of money flowing in.

Then shop for a building usually the small, independently owned strip mall type building are the cheapest around 400 to 750 a month depending on space.

Make your business official, get the name trademarked, get business licenses and a TIN Otax ID). Open a business bank account, try and get some bussiness lons if you can to pay for equipment and such.

But really you could just use you setup you have now, because if its a production company (like a record label) it doesn't matter what equipment you use because its soley for you.

^^^ he basically covered pretty much everything...invest in a good security system cuz chances are it'll be a target place for robberies...also look for a building/space with no windows that will prevent robberies dramatically..

j.troup said:
I'm not expecting anyone to write my business plan for me or hold my hand, all I'm trying to do is get a little insight to lead me on the right path, hopfully from someone who has an establish Business already so I have a general idea on how to go about things and not make too many mistakes. So again I'm just asking for a little advice, it never hurts to ask questions. anyways thanks to the people who gave a little insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
j.troup said:

Anyway...

1. Finances/Loan.

2. Lawyer.

3. Trademark.

4. Location.

5. Equipment.

6. Staff.

7. Market.

8. Open For Business.

This is a general list, but this is usually how it happens. I'm always willing to lend a hand.

Dot_Robinson said:
Anyway...

1. Finances/Loan.

2. Lawyer.

3. Trademark.

4. Location.

5. Equipment.

6. Staff.

7. Market.

8. Open For Business.

This is a general list, but this is usually how it happens. I'm always willing to lend a hand.

I'm about to buy some books on the subject now...I basically make hiphop music; I engineer and im also a emcee...so would this be some what of an idea of what I would have to follow? Cause for a location, all I have is my home studio, but I suppose thats how all hiphop producers or "beat makers" are doing it...correct me if im wrong please...

back to the subject at hand.... to start a production company these are the stesp:

get a DBA (doing business as)...
business license...
open business bank account...
write business plan...
get business loan...
get logo & trademark...
promote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back