How do you keep someone from using your music when you already told them not to use

SmooveMode

An Artist I tried to collab with but stopped because of creative and personality issues is still using my music to promote and is also offering a free download of my music. What are my options?

engage counsel and pursue it if you think you are losing money or having your good name tarnished

What band coach said. Threaten them with legal action, if that doesn't work, take legal action with the court of law.

This is a shaky subject to me. If you cut ties, why not let the work go with the artist...UNLESS, he's making a profit without giving you your cut?

Just my opinion, but, if I work with a guy, even if I don't like the songs that came out of it and we part ways, I'm gonna want him to go off and do his best with what he took from the collab. Good for him. Best of luck to him.

I'm not into threatening or suing over nothing beyond work you did with someone else. Again, if money's involved, get your cut, but beyond that, let him have at it.

Last edited:
This is a shaky subject to me. If you cut ties, why not let the work go with the artist...UNLESS, he's making a profit without giving you your cut?

Just my opinion, but, if I work with a guy, even if I don't like the songs that came out of it and we part ways, I'm gonna want him to go off and do his best with what he took from the collab. Good for him. Best of luck to him.

I'm not into threatening or suing over nothing beyond work you did with someone else. Again, if money's involved, get your cut, but beyond that, let him have at it.

The beat that he performed on was something I made long before I knew him. He tracked over the established beat, which I repeat was made long before he performed on it. He became Psyco after I told him we needed to alter some parts to make it "radio friendly" and I then cut ties then after realizing he may not be stable. Now, he's giving away the track, which to me was not agreed upon. I told him he could use the beat to demo to other producers or venues to get gigs. BUT NOT TO RELEASE in any way shape or form. He also recently informed me he published this track! Now...That's stealing! Get this he texted me back, angry telling me he didn't know I had another Artist perform over the beat. Which was exactly what I told him I was going to do when we cut ties. It's like he was acting like he owned the beat which I made long before he was in the picture.

Last edited:
^^^Once I know details, he's simply performing over YOUR work you solely created. He's no different than a guy stealing your beat off the net. I was under the impression it was something you both had constant input in the creation of. Under the circumstances you describe, I'd just go f**k him up at every show until he got the message, lol, but DON'T do what I would, listen to input from others, lol. Send him a formal letter telling him you cease use of any material containing your work and take it from there. :cheers:

^^^Once I know details, he's simply performing over YOUR work you solely created. He's no different than a guy stealing your beat off the net. I was under the impression it was something you both had constant input in the creation of. Under the circumstances you describe, I'd just go f**k him up at every show until he got the message, lol, but DON'T do what I would, listen to input from others, lol. Send him a formal letter telling him you cease use of any material containing your work and take it from there. :cheers:

LOL! I feel you! Thanks for the advice and I will have a formal letter drafted.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I meant to say "He became Psyco". He basically acted like the whole beat belongs to him and he doesn't see anything wrong with him allowing a free download of my beat, though I never gave him authorization to do so. In addition he still believes he has a right to give the beat away. I told him he can do whatever he wants with the Vocal content (even though I was told he simply followed my melody) but he's still being hard headed. I contacted Reverbnation and also some online service that deals with copyright issues. What bothers me is I was just about to release the track with another Artist performing it and this Psyco had the nerve to get upset after I told him right after we cut ties that my intention was to have another Artist perform. He acted as if I was trying to hide the new track to him, though I've had the demo up on SC and RN for a month.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I meant to say "He became Psyco". He basically acted like the whole beat belongs to him and he doesn't see anything wrong with him allowing a free download of my beat, though I never gave him authorization to do so. In addition he still believes he has a right to give the beat away. I told him he can do whatever he wants with the Vocal content (even though I was told he simply followed my melody) but he's still being hard headed. I contacted Reverbnation and also some online service that deals with copyright issues. What bothers me is I was just about to release the track with another Artist performing it and this Psyco had the nerve to get upset after I told him right after we cut ties that my intention was to have another Artist perform. He acted as if I was trying to hide the new track to him, though I've had the demo up on SC and RN for a month.

Was a contract signed? Was the point made clear to him?

Personally, if it was me, I'd just know not to give him a beat ever again. That case is crazy. Lol...

Was a contract signed? Was the point made clear to him?

Personally, if it was me, I'd just know not to give him a beat ever again. That case is crazy. Lol...

I made it clear to him back then and I recently made it clear again. But, he still believes he has a right to use the beat. It's one thing to use it like a DEMO so you can show off your talent, it's totally another issue when you're giving the track away to other people. He claims I didn't tell him, which I know I did, but I don't believe it makes a difference. If I told him not to give away the track, I would think he would have to stop.

Back