Free Beats: The Future or the Death of the Online Music Production Game??

Jay_Freez

Hi ,

I start this thread just to have the point of view of EVERY PRODUCERS ��of this site on this simple question: Are free beats the future or the death of the music production game?

Yeah I know it's not an " original " topic, but since there's still a debate about it in 2013, I thought it was a good idea to revisit this theme..

Enough talking ;), here are my pros and cons on free beats :
1) WHY YOU CAN'T DO WITHOUT GIVING BEATS FOR FREE?

- It helps you to build a relationship with artists ( cf. Postman of Live Off Beats " people only buy things from people they know and trust " in Are Free beats killing the production game ). A basic marketing argument. If he liked it, he will come back to buy from you or recommend you.

- This is how you build a fan base, therefore your online exposure. Giving a beat for free in exchange of a Facebook like, a follow on twitter, or a newsletter subscription,..( cf. DJ Pain 1 " In this day and age you have to be a giver ")
helps you to increase your " reservoir" of potential customers.

- Everyone does it (also,urban music is free now) Why should I buy Something from you when I can have the same thing for free from someone else?

- ...and you never know, the beat you gave for free may become a hit. In this case, you will get paid after ( if your paperwork are in order) . Look at Trinidad James or Migos producers for example...

2) NOW, WHY FREE BEATS F*CKN UP OUR GAME?
- if it's free, it has no value. Plain and simple. Nowadays, it's sad but no one take online producers seriously no more. Free beats devaluated our work.

- how many free beats you ll have to give before you make a sell? Plus, how are you going to get your soundclick VIP subscription money, your SC design money, your online promo money, your keyboard investment, ... BACK? Now, you invest more than you get, it takes longer to get your return on investment.

- Finally, we get a really small share on all the money made " because we made a beat". According to Postman of Live Off Beats, there won't be no songs, no artists, no promoter, no enginneer, no labels, no movies, no video games ... WITHOUT OUR BEATS. It's a bit exaggerated, I admit lol, but I kinda agree with him on this.

So, now let me know what you think. I'm sure I didn't cover a lot of aspects of this subject.

**EXCUSE MY ENGLISH

Jay Freez
Paris, France
soundclick.com/jayfreez

Last edited:
Neither.

I don't understand why musicians whine about free music. People should just monetize their own music instead of complaining. That is what I am doing.

Why not make a YouTube account that's monetized and make a site with Google ad banners, that way you're bringing in some revenue even when you're not selling beats?

Why not make a YouTube account that's monetized and make a site with Google ad banners, that way you're bringing in some revenue even when you're not selling beats?

Good idea.
But I think not every YouTube account can be monetized...

Back