Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cyko

Thread: First-time label advice for a young producer

  1. #1
    Noizemaker's Avatar
    Noizemaker is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    100

    Question First-time label advice for a young producer

    Sign in to disable this ad
    So, I'm kind of a newb producer. I produce Dubstep, house, dark ambient, etc. and I just finished my first track, a house track, and have sent it off to be professionally mastered. While I am a little inexperienced, I did my homework while producing and mixing the track, and the end result is something I take pride in. I would like to sign with a label to have the track officially released (be it free or paid).

    That being said, I know I'm not Deadmau5, I'm not getting signed to Owsla or Never Say Die. I just need an entry-level label that would be interested in releasing my track and I would also like to avoid any scams or legal pitfalls.
    Any advice on this subject will be well appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick

  2. #2
    ProducerJC's Avatar
    ProducerJC is offline Battle 4 Exposure
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Noizemaker View Post
    So, I'm kind of a newb producer. I produce Dubstep, house, dark ambient, etc. and I just finished my first track, a house track, and have sent it off to be professionally mastered. While I am a little inexperienced, I did my homework while producing and mixing the track, and the end result is something I take pride in. I would like to sign with a label to have the track officially released (be it free or paid).

    That being said, I know I'm not Deadmau5, I'm not getting signed to Owsla or Never Say Die. I just need an entry-level label that would be interested in releasing my track and I would also like to avoid any scams or legal pitfalls.
    Any advice on this subject will be well appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Focus more on what you can do for a label than what a label can do for you. The best way to get what you need is by giving others what they need. There's nothing worse than wasting time and money on someone else's vision while getting nothing in return. Look for ways to deliver on what they need and you'll get what you need.

  3. #3
    Cyko is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Noizemaker View Post
    So, I'm kind of a newb producer. I produce Dubstep, house, dark ambient, etc. and I just finished my first track, a house track, and have sent it off to be professionally mastered. While I am a little inexperienced, I did my homework while producing and mixing the track, and the end result is something I take pride in. I would like to sign with a label to have the track officially released (be it free or paid).

    That being said, I know I'm not Deadmau5, I'm not getting signed to Owsla or Never Say Die. I just need an entry-level label that would be interested in releasing my track and I would also like to avoid any scams or legal pitfalls.
    Any advice on this subject will be well appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Entry Level Label? I don't think they exist

    Why do you want to be signed to a label? What are you hoping to gain from it?

  4. #4
    Noizemaker's Avatar
    Noizemaker is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
    Entry Level Label? I don't think they exist

    Why do you want to be signed to a label? What are you hoping to gain from it?
    Promotion value for one thing. Also, I thought you needed a label to legally sell your music on beatport, iTunes, etc.

    Edit: Are familiar with Revamped Recordings? They are a very small label run by 2 young guys and sign mostly young producers. Probably won't get a ton of promotional value from something like that, but it's better than nothing.
    Last edited by Noizemaker; 06-17-2014 at 09:16 AM.

  5. #5
    Cyko is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Noizemaker View Post
    Promotion value for one thing. Also, I thought you needed a label to legally sell your music on beatport, iTunes, etc.

    Edit: Are familiar with Revamped Recordings? They are a very small label run by 2 young guys and sign mostly young producers. Probably won't get a ton of promotional value from something like that, but it's better than nothing.
    No, you don't need to be signed to sell your music on those platforms unless they've changed. To get the most from a label walk in with a fan base. You may even find out that you don't need the label after establishing your base.
    likes this.

  6. #6
    3nterprise's Avatar
    3nterprise is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    167
    Man labels make it easier for us producers simply because they take care of putting your music out and getting your music in the right hands because have the right connections. All of this while your chilling making music. I got signed to a label and honestly everything they're doing for me I can do myself. Just do it yourself, just keep making great music and build a fan base.

  7. #7
    bendorr is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    31
    If you just finished your first track, dont worry yet. Learn your craft and THEN build a fanbase. from there labels may hear about you and check you out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!