Exclusive Beats

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
It seems the term "Exclusive" means different things to different people.

For some, the term exclusive means that they are the only one to have used/heard the beat.

For others it means they are the last one allowed to used the beat.

I think every producers licensing contract should read: *Exclusive beats are subject to the terms of their exclusivity. :rolleyes:

Whats your definition?

Whats the correct definition?

Disqus

My definition is last one allowed to use the beat. I don't do never heard before I always shop my beats around and around!

exclusive means available to a select few/number, so the last one seems to be the more accurate description

your first definition is much closer to a custom

I go by what exclusive means in the licensing world, which means only one library hosts that track.

Scenario: You sell a rapper a beat exclusively, but you've leased it to other rappers in the past - making this the "last buyer" situation from posts above. That rapper hears some other dude using the same beat he leased from you 6 months ago. I feel like if you don't disclose that the beat has been leased before the exclusive sale, there could be problems. No?

I agree entirely, it is why I think that the notion of an exclusive lease is a misnomer

prefer to think of them as custom beats, which are automatically worth more anyway

I feel like if you don't disclose that the beat has been leased before the exclusive sale, there could be problems. No?

Sure, there could be problems, if you don't disclose that info..

Most clients I deal with are made aware of the beat being licensed out prior to their purchase and that they have to honor the terms of those licenses if they are to buy the exclusive license. If they have a problem with the terms in my agreement then they can grab music elsewhere. Simple as that. Most don't mind though.

I guess they look at it like: "I don't care who leased it because I'm gonna kill it in my own way anyway."

Another common scenario I've encountered is I've had a few clients ask for specifics like: How many times exactly has this beat been leased.

And another unfortunate one is when clients ask to be sold a beat that was already sold. This IMO is a huge No-No.

Last edited:
Back