EP vs Singles? How does it look on the other end?

SmooveMode

I may be wrong and that's why I'm asking but it seems like it's a better deal to release an EP of 4 or more tracks (Album) over a single if you have multiple versions of the same track you would like to release. Other than the initial price differential it seems like for a few dollars more you can offer more versions to your fans to choose from. Does anyone know of an advantage of selling a single over offer an EP? It seems like most music sites will give the buyer the option to just buy one track anyways.

this is great topic but I have to mention is this a first release of music
or does this artist or group have fan base and how big is their mailing

more planning should be done besides deciding rather a single or EP should be released

if the answer is no fanbase and very small mailing list than singles would make more sense build up a buzz and then release a larger collection of music

it's great you are trying to plan the release of your music I hope you or any artist/group planning to release have a detailed plan if they are serious about gaining revenue

this is great topic but I have to mention is this a first release of music
or does this artist or group have fan base and how big is their mailing

more planning should be done besides deciding rather a single or EP should be released

if the answer is no fanbase and very small mailing list than singles would make more sense build up a buzz and then release a larger collection of music

it's great you are trying to plan the release of your music I hope you or any artist/group planning to release have a detailed plan if they are serious about gaining revenue

Thanks for your reply. Other than a decent Following on Twitter we are relatively unknown and a new group. I was thinking about releasing an EP of different mixes ( Original, Radio, Extended Club Mix, Instrumental, Instrumental hype mix) of the same track. But, I'm not sure how viable that is these days. I have about 10-12 total tracks I would like to release on possibly 3 EPs. The Extended Single EP would make that 4 EPs all together. Heck, I don't know....lol

build up your following through singles
build relationships with offline journalists
build relationships with music bloggers

if you need one on one help with planning your music release(s) please find out more about me here and if you just want to read some great tips read here

remember google and Youtube are go to research tools

Me personally I would prefer the single first. If I like the track I'd probs search the instrumental straight away if I cant find it I always keep a look out. Regarding the remixes. If the songs got a buzz you could keep the buzz going with the remixes after then drop a lil package on iTunes where you receive everything you stated (Original, Radio, Extended Club Mix, Instrumental, Instrumental hype mix) or for free. which ever way you prefer.

Hope this helps

I personally wouldn't buy an EP with 5 different versions of the same song if the single was cheaper. As TazzyOnline said though, it is a good idea to release the main song first and then follow up with the remixes a couple weeks after at a time. That keeps the song relevant and reminds the fans who haven't listened to the original to do so without constantly spamming them with the same song. Then you could release them as a package but give them the option to just buy the single.

I personally wouldn't buy an EP with 5 different versions of the same song if the single was cheaper. As TazzyOnline said though, it is a good idea to release the main song first and then follow up with the remixes a couple weeks after at a time. That keeps the song relevant and reminds the fans who haven't listened to the original to do so without constantly spamming them with the same song. Then you could release them as a package but give them the option to just buy the single.
make sure your remix has a guest rapper/singer that just
remember this song I remember buying the single had like five different remixes for $5
today you could probably sell for $2
the video version is not the album version totally different beat somewhat similar lyrics

Last edited:
Thanks Fellas for the insight. I will use the advice with appreciation. I do remember that track. It brings back good memories when I was DJing all over Oakland and you're right a lot of the hip hop back then was released with at least the single and the instrumental. I remember when the Luniz release I got 5 on it and later came back with the instrumental and a remix with Dru Down and some other well known Rap Artists. That still knocks today! What I'm hoping for the most is just to grab the attention of somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody. Let's face it. These days listeners rarely say, "Hey, let's go listen to some new talent". Most people these days just want to hear more from the same famous ones or waiting for their next release. Back in the day it was "Cool" to find new talent before they get big.

Back