Do you want to get signed to a record deal?

Phase Down

Defineaudio.com
Hey guys, I wrote a little article about why you should watch out when signing to a record label, as some people actually OWE money afterwards to the label, even if you sold the tracks/beats.

Read it on my blog Define Audio its right at the top the latest post, I hope you enjoy it and that it will help you, there are many alternatives for getting your music out there in stead of record labels.

If you enjoyed it do me a favour and follow us on twitter or facebook!

@defineaudio

This is very true.. alot of record labels are like banks. They basically loan you the money and hope to make more back. But not all record deals are bad, Be ready for record labels to come out with new deals and all type of shyt now that the internet is the way it is. They are going to find a way to still be apart of music, even though they are slowly getting pushed out.

But i think anyone would sign a deal if it fits right... just my thoughts

You're right, just make sure they are really interested in your stuff, and not just doing it for the cash.

But a lot of people already are putting out there own music online or even create their own little record label purely for that, I think this is a good way to avoid this, at least to start out with.

Haha yeah I suppose the internet has made all this possible, that could bring to another question, are labels becoming useless?

Haha yeah I suppose the internet has made all this possible, that could bring to another question, are labels becoming useless?

No they arent useless now.. keep in mind that they still have money, and at the end of the day.. if a label came to any one on this site with a publishing deal/contract . 95 percent of everyone on here would sign! Because labels understand how music is now, they are making changes. There are 360 deals .. as well as artist producer deals.. man there are so many options with labels and not all of them are bad... but just keep in mind, with the power of the internet.. labels will adjust!!

I like that thought, I suppose that is way better put, they are indeed adjusting, you answered it quick and smooth ;)

no, i don't want to get signed.
i just want to make a couple of beats once in a while and send them to Jay-Z and Common.

Last edited:
No they arent useless now.. keep in mind that they still have money, and at the end of the day.. if a label came to any one on this site with a publishing deal/contract . 95 percent of everyone on here would sign! Because labels understand how music is now, they are making changes. There are 360 deals .. as well as artist producer deals.. man there are so many options with labels and not all of them are bad... but just keep in mind, with the power of the internet.. labels will adjust!!

You're a smart guy!

To sign or not to signl; that is the question.

Record label will always have their place with the music industry. After all, the have the best contacts and money to through into projects. But their greed has put them into a situation were they're losing control of the industry.

Now that pro audio gear is accessible to anyone with a credit card, music makers are beginning to understand that they can take on more roles. Some people believe that they can handle the entire business themselves and they're right, if they have done the research or gone through the trial and error. The whole idea, for most, is to be your own boss and enjoy life. Artist, those that have signed the bad record deals, show us how to avoid the crap deals. All we need to do is pay attention and read every word of our contracts.

What we should remember is that that Record Labels keep the music industry going as a whole. So do radio stations, performers, stage hands, record studios, fans and music enthusiast. If you're doing things right, you will be able to find a record deal. Let us know how it goes when you do.

Being a more "traditional" band as far as we are concerned we still want a deal but I can see why so many wonder if its even worth it. But as has been said above, I think labels will always have a place at the table. You only have to look at XL who have if anything got bigger over the last couple of years!

Back