Do you make money? How big is the beats industry?

beatsmoney

Hello all,

I'm new to selling beats although I've been making beats for a while.

I was wondering do people make a decent amount of money from their beats? Maybe we can mention roughly how much we've made so far in 2014, if you are ok with this.

I guess what I'm asking is how big is the selling beats industry? Is it 1 million dollar industry or a 100 million dollar industry (in sales)? I can't find any reports or stats about selling beats anywhere, I guess its because its so fragmented.

Anyway, hope to get some insight on this.

The Beats industry places a big part of the music industry, There are producers who make a lot of money selling beats. Those are the producers who have songs they produced played around the country daily. (Dj Mustard, Mike will, etc....) Most or all the Producers who make a real living off of Music Won't be on this site discussing figures. The Rest of us Beat Makers/Producers either have a Regular 9-5, living at home with parents or in college. For myself personally i made a smooth 4 figures :cool: this year to date. Its not much but it can help with the small bills i have. The Beat selling market is Flooded with talent. So artist have a HUGE selection to choose from. From a Range of Prices ($0.99 to $100+). There is money to be made in this market but you have to put in alot of work and hours. Not only in making beats but marketing and Networking. So for me this would be my other full time job. (6pm - 3am) I sleep when I Can. :cool:

I've been selling beats and licensing songs for media for about 2-3 years now, and I still am not at the point where I can quit my day job (yet). Everyone who says, "this industry requires a lot of patience" is absolutely correct. Like any business, you'll have months that are up, and others that are down. But I believe it takes a strong, years-long commitment to really start consistently earning enough to make a true living. I know a few people who do this full-time, but the vast majority are relegating music to after-work hours, or weekends only.

But technology, specifically smart phones, has made it possible for me to work and shop my music basically all day long - answering emails, using social media, checking website traffic, etc. So I'm never really off the producer clock, even when I'm at my non-music 9-to-5.

Last edited:
Yes, you can make this work. As the others have said though, it truly does take patience, a flawless dedication and incredible skill.

As you work with people and prove yourself, your price point will go up and your networking will go up. Everything grows together if you're doing it right... but it takes time.

I can't answer your question about if it's a 1 million or 100 million dollar industry, but like many industries it's filled with the 95% barely scraping by, the 4% making enough for full time (this is where I currently am), and the 1% making insane amounts. (Yes, these figures may be not 100% accurate, but you know what I'm saying.)

Work hard. Take it seriously. You can get there.

Back