Do you believe that talent is what gets you in the game?

On the "band" front the amount of bands I've seen do better than the quality of their music suggested they should do because of industry contacts is quite shocking. Talent is only one of the ingredients needed for success unfortunately.

With 'artists' out right now such as Lil' Wayne, Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane and a whole bunch of others, I think it's quit obvious that talent isn't necessary to become 'successful'. Even if you're the worst rapper/writer/singer/musician out there, as long as you're marketable and willing to conform to the ever changing standards of pop music, a session with an industry ghost-writer and some quick auto-tuning and clever eqing will quickly mask any flaws you may have.

Peace

Not being well up on the hip hop scene I can only imagine that its the producers these guys are working with who are keeping them at the top of the heap?
We can all dis certain "artists" (I know I do) because of their lack of creativity but its the ****ers behind performers (artist being the wrong word to use in relation to them) that are the real problem here!

With 'artists' out right now such as Lil' Wayne, Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane and a whole bunch of others, I think it's quit obvious that talent isn't necessary to become 'successful'. Even if you're the worst rapper/writer/singer/musician out there, as long as you're marketable and willing to conform to the ever changing standards of pop music, a session with an industry ghost-writer and some quick auto-tuning and clever eqing will quickly mask any flaws you may have.

Peace

Well to me Talent get you to your destination, but character is what keeps you there. I got hooked up with a producer who had a big hit in 2007 and he wanted me down with him based off my talent and how good i was. We connected and begin to get two placements together. So to answer your question, talent to me does get you there

Not being well up on the hip hop scene I can only imagine that its the producers these guys are working with who are keeping them at the top of the heap?
We can all dis certain "artists" (I know I do) because of their lack of creativity but its the ****ers behind performers (artist being the wrong word to use in relation to them) that are the real problem here!

Respect your opinion, and I think there is some truth in this.
Labels and the music industry/business in general are in it for the money and look at 'artists' simply as an invest in which they expect to see some sort of financial gain from in return for backing these artist and supplying them with the songwriters, studios, engineers etc, after all it is the music BUSINESS.
I guess people trying get signed either don't realise that it is a business and that labels value money higher than creative control and simply want you to do what's popular, or people are simply in it for the money and nothing else.
It's the people after the money that I'm mainly 'dissing', because I don't know how anybody would be willing to practically sell their soul for material wealth and fame, knowing that it's all fake and they haven't worked for it (it's all the labels work). And because of their so-called success, it inspires others to consider music as a career, not knowing the true cost of this success because they're blinded by all the cars, BIG A$$ CHAINZ lol, and women. But at the end of the day both those types of people are motivated by money and material things, rarely have any talent anyway, and if they're willing to sacrifice self-respect, integrity, and pretty much they're soul, they can be successful. Which is my reason for saying talent is no longer necessary to become the music industry's definition of success, which unfortunately has influenced what a lot of the youth today considers to be successful. Maybe with an independent label you'd be able to retain your creative control (its seems to be the case) but I think your definition of success is really what shapes the outcome of your music.

On a side note relating to your statement on producers in Hip-Hop, I think that they're alot like rappers themselves, although I believe some actual is required regardless of their moral standing (unless they have ghost-producers lol). And yeah i think it's all centered around the type of sound the have/enjoy making and the type of artist they're trying to cater for which is synonymous to their idea of success.

I know I wrote a lot haha, just wanted voice my opinion on this subject :cool:

Peace

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

On a side note relating to your statement on producers in Hip-Hop, I think that they're alot like rappers themselves, although I believe some actual TALENTis required regardless of their moral standing (unless they have ghost-producers lol). And yeah i think it's all centered around the type of sound the have/enjoy making and the type of artist they're trying to cater for which is synonymous to their idea of success.

didnt check for errors as you can see lol

well since I'm the label,studio owner and producer

but I do need to look sign ..in house producer(s)....... and artists

what I look for in artists are
christian rapper
1.being able to perform live
2.being able to be professional in the studio
3.uniqueness
4.being able to write own raps
5.believe in christ and know scripture.. not traditions
6.willing to give time to help out the community and youth groups
7.must know some kind of music theory

Rnb(ryhtmn and bible) and/or traditonal gospel act
1. being able to hit notes correctly(I have contacts for voice coaches too though)if I think someone has serious potential
2. able to read music or willing to learn..
3.willing to give time to help out the communtiy and youth groups
4.believe in christ and know scripture.. not traditions
5.being able to perform live
6.professional in the studio

in a producer
1.make beats that are solid in many "urban" genres as well as pop
2. able to read music or willing to learn..
3.willing to give time to help out the communtiy and youth groups
4.believe in christ and know scripture.. not traditions
5.being able to perform live
6.professional in the studio
7.would love if they played a instrument as well
8.willing to co-produce tracks

there are things that I missed by that's about the list I look for

This was a great read. I think I carry all those attributes. To be honest my faith could be a lot better, but I'm not against just don't go to church like other's would. As far as a producer I grew up playing the drums and getting better on the keys as well. I really would love to take piano lessons tho to further my learning. Also would love to take guitar lessons to, just need to start selling more beats tho so I can finally do these things. Maybe when you hear my music you would say the same thing. I'm really working on being humble, but How does one become this way when he's broke without of talent. I mean being broke is really killing me. Also artist always wanting free beats all the time. That I just can't have. Thanks for your time. Indepthjaybeats

see the industry for what it really is; entertainment

right...

but when lines fail to be drawn, it transforms from entertainment to something else...and NOT for the better

$.02

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Where does a person decide on if he has talent, skill, or a gift

who cares about either of those anymore? none of the above even really matter in this day and age...

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

talent isn't necessary to become 'successful'

bingo...

Music sales are always made by people; and not by the music itself.

I want record labels to at least be as money hungry as I am. I'd consider it a bonus if they were hungrier. That way, I could use that hunger to generate more sales and make more money. Enough money so that I can live a higher quality lifestyle and have more stuff.
No one person is born with more talent than another. Talent is developed over time and with the proper use of money. We work to increase our skill so that we can share it with others because we need fans; cause fans buy music. There's no greater complement than to have fans that purchase our stuff with their hard earned money. The fan that spends money with us believes that our music is worth more than simple words of encouragement. As a music producer, one of my goals is to making enough money to buy whatever I want. Music production is a waste of time and energy if there is no plan to use it for financial growth, or eventual success.

Fans must like me in order to accomplish that goal.

We buy music from the musicians we like.
And, we want our favorite musicians to have and show us the fruits of their success. After all, the music they make is a reflection of who we are inside and this is how we learn to dream. It's like they're planting a seed inside of us. I don't buy songs or mixtapes because of the bling on the cover, do you?

The leaders in the game are able to buy whatever they want; and this irritates some people. It's easier for some to make excuses for not having than it is to become successful themselves. Most people prefer to take the easy route 99% of the time, which is another reason why they hate on the success of others. This way of thinking is embedded so deeply into their minds that it goes unnoticed by the thinker. They come from families of haters which makes it harder for them to stop hating. After all, how do you fix a problem that you don't know or believe is there?

Talent isn't the only requirement needed to be successful in this game. We also need to have a certain level of respect for those that came before us. Record labels don't care to help unless we have followers and good business savvy. In other words, you must acquire sales success to make deals with record labels. Especially in today's U.S economy.

Talent may not be needed to get you in the game. But, you must have it to stay in.

Back