copyrights exclusive rights

acetheface954

hi again. if a copyright owner gives an entity exclusive rights over their property does that mean the copyright owner is barred from re-marketing their own work with other entities?

exclusive rights in which manner? Exclusive rights of exploitation? Or did you sell all rights to this other party?

the word exclusive generally means that no-one else has access to the property concerned

yes sir. exclusive rights to exploit anyway they see fit in order to collect all the royalties. so if no one has access does that mean i (the copyright owner) am not allowed to license my work to others?

so you sold the work lock stock and barrel - all royalties were ceded to the buyer? that is beyond a normal exclusive arrangement

Oh noooo wise one lol. Properties I license lapse after five years for example. I was just curious if exclusive rights to distribute a copyright's property gives that entity sole ownership and prevents the copyright owner from doing anyting with his/her own property without the entity's knowledge. Because as copyright owner I feel as though you don't need to check with anyone about something that's yours. But I've been wrong before.

consult a lawyer and take your license contract with you; this is beyond what we can help you with here

hi again. if a copyright owner gives an entity exclusive rights over their property does that mean the copyright owner is barred from re-marketing their own work with other entities?

Bandcoach is correct.

Something to think about:

If you are the copyright owner and you want to grant someone "exclusive usage rights" to your music and would also like to further capitalize off of your work [eg: making your music available as a instrumental collection that you can sell on itunes, etc.] you should probably state that in your exclusive contract before all is said and done.

Good luck.

Bandcoach is correct.

Something to think about:

If you are the copyright owner and you want to grant someone "exclusive usage rights" to your music and would also like to further capitalize off of your work [eg: making your music available as a instrumental collection that you can sell on itunes, etc.] you should probably state that in your exclusive contract before all is said and done.

Good luck.

I'd love that. Because I always want to remain the licensor and make everyone else a licensee. But I'm not big enough to make an entity sign a nonexclusive contract. They always want complete control over where the property goes. Bastards lol.

I'd love that. Because I always want to remain the licensor and make everyone else a licensee. But I'm not big enough to make an entity sign a nonexclusive contract. They always want complete control over where the property goes. Bastards lol.

It's all in how you structure the contract. You don't need to be a big entity to structure a deal like this, you just need fair terms and some of interest.

It's all in how you structure the contract. You don't need to be a big entity to structure a deal like this, you just need fair terms and some of interest.

Small or big they (not all) want complete control. I think I know what I'm going to do though. IF and WHEN I sign another exclusive deal I'll just let them know of other deals for the property I've licensed them to use.

yeah i checked it out and it just dawned on me that i should be setting my own rules. because i honestly do not see how they can help me when i'm clearly the one doing all the leg work. hell if they can't accept my terms i'll just start my own label which i can do. "you want ownership and yet you have nothing to offer me". get the hell out of here lol

Back