Copyrighting your beats 4 cheap???

Q

QueenOfBeats

Does any body know where I can copyright my beats in bulk for cheap because copyrighting thru the regular way is expensive.

There's only one accepted, legal copyright, as far as I know, and that's through copyright.gov. BUT, you can upload an album's worth of beats for $35 as long as YOU are the only writer/producer for every track. You'd register a "Title of Work" and call it Beats 2011 or whatever, and then list each song as "contents titles". That's how I was advised to do it, and how I've done it so far.

Yea $35 is wayyy to much these days. Its like putting gas in a small car....there IS no "cheap" way. Do the "poor mans copyright." Which is a fail iMO. If you want to be taken seriously id suggest you save up $35 and copyright your material as a compilation. Because if you cant afford a simple copyright then....i dont think this is the field for you.

There's only one accepted, legal copyright, as far as I know, and that's through copyright.gov. BUT, you can upload an album's worth of beats for $35 as long as YOU are the only writer/producer for every track. You'd register a "Title of Work" and call it Beats 2011 or whatever, and then list each song as "contents titles". That's how I was advised to do it, and how I've done it so far.

Ok that sounds like a good way to do it... R u sure that every beat will be copyrighted

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Yea $35 is wayyy to much these days. Its like putting gas in a small car....there IS no "cheap" way. Do the "poor mans copyright." Which is a fail iMO. If you want to be taken seriously id suggest you save up $35 and copyright your material as a compilation. Because if you cant afford a simple copyright then....i dont think this is the field for you.

I ment do not stop

Ok I dont need ur sarcasim... I didn't kno u could stop what IanMathews said I thought it was 35$ per song!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea thats the regular way... Its too expensive to do it that way.

there is NO OTHER WAY.

...and you don't "copyright your music"... you "REGISTER the copyright which you already own" (you already own/have the copyright because it is an original work YOU created... assuming it actually IS an original work)

The ONLY way to register your copyright is through the COPYRIGHT OFFICE.

Don't believe what anybody else tells you. They are all wrong.

FYI, you can register multiple works on the same form.

Great clarification from dvyce as always, but I would like to add some food for thought to the OP....

If you are making music as a business then you have to treat it like a business. Meaning if $35 seems a little high for you and that is okay maybe it is, I don't know your situation, but per your post it sounds like it is but the amount is irrelevant. It could be $10 or it could be $1,000, it doesn't really matter. What matters is your ROI on that track. Let's say you had a buyer for a track willing to pay $5000 for the track, is $35 still too much?

Too many producers cross their personal funds with their business funds and have no real idea what their product is worth or the ROI on it. When I ask most producers why their beat is the price it is they say they dont know or well that is what other people sell theirs for. This is the wrong answer. $35 is not a lot if you are making $3500, it is ALL relative.

If you say to yourself okay, it takes me two hours to make a beat and I want to be paid $10 an hour. You now have $20 in labour.

Copyright register is $35

Marketing & Promotion is $10 (an hour on facebook, twitter,forums, etc.)

So your true cost for that one track is $65

With this info. you know what to price your beat at and how many you need to sell to get your money back. So lets say you price your beats at $35. You would need to sell 2 leases to get your money back and only one to get your copyright money back.

If the amount to copyright is too high then your beats are being sold for too low or you are not selling enough beats to justify another $35 in copyrights. The $35 should be coming from the money the business is making and not your pocket.

Look everyone the reason y I asked this question because im getting ready to start my own site I plan to put at least 20 beats up to start with so I wanted to make sure I have everything ready to go im tryin to save money... I'm 17 ok I'm trying to help my mom out with bills and take care of my kid

Look everyone the reason y I asked this question because im getting ready to start my own site I plan to put at least 20 beats up to start with so I wanted to make sure I have everything ready to go im tryin to save money... I'm 17 ok I'm trying to help my mom out with bills and take care of my kid

QueenOfBeats please accept my apologies. My intent was not to offend you so if I did I am sorry. I try to be helpful to everyone on here and all I was really saying is that don't take too much out your own pocket before making some. You don't need a ton of beats, as a matter of fact most Soundclick pages have too many beats based on how people buy online. Please understand I am not judging you. I know how hard it is to have kids young. Mine are teenagers now but I remember plenty of nights where we all had to share a package of roman noodles so I understand. I checked out your site and if you want some help or to add some more ways to make some money from it then hit me up.

Oh I wasnt really referring to you i was talking about the sarcastic comments I got from other ppl

I copyrighted my album for 35 dollars 9 songs. If you have strong songs with hooks its good to copyright. There are good instructions on the us digital copyright page. Just upload. Simple.

Back