Copyright?

E

Emmapeel9

There are two things you need to know and it is important to know both. Do not stop reading after you have read only the first!

1/ You own the copyright of the music as soon as you create it.

Now, this is true and is written about in many places. The problem is, though, that some people then give a sigh of relief at this point and stop reading, missing the most important part....

2/ You need to be able to prove that you own the copyright to the music.

It's not much use knowing that you own the copyright to the music if no-one else does. If it goes legal then all you have is your own word. Your opponent who has stolen your music may have arranged evidence to support the claim. Not only are you likely to have lost your music but you may actually get into trouble for continuing to claim that you wrote it.

What you need to do is arrange for evidence yourself to have proof that you created the music on a certain date. (There are various ways of doing this and it can depend what country you are in too)

There is much more about copyright in the sticky above. I just wanted to highlight this one point as it is often misunderstood.

Copyright theft is rare but it is always good to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be many ways to prove that you own the copyright to the music you make, but it needs to be able to stand up to legal scrutiny and it also needs to stand the test of time. These requirements have me leaning to being more conservative in my approach than is maybe necessary.

I'm actually not all that clear on what constitutes sound evidence. Several large legal firms are still suggesting the "mail it to yourself in the post" method. Also known as "poor mans copyright". However some songwriting organizations have stopped suggesting this idea as it has flaws. (I agree with this from experience too.) It is possible that there is a way to make the "poor mans copyright" work and I'm going to look into this.

I think the best advice is to have 2+ methods of proving that you own the copyright to the music, so that if one fails then there is still a backup.

Back