Can you really live off making beats

I'll shoot you straight on the real tip: If you are making beats, quit. You don't have what it takes. You will never see success if failure is an option. From these few word you wrote, these thoughts that entered your mind, and your compulsion to post this publicly as a representation of yourself, we can clearly see that you will never make a living making music.

My advice is to find something you're actually passionate about; an area that you cannot, even in your wildest fantasies, imagine being unsuccessful in. There's your 30k a year.

This should have been paraphrased better. If you only said "You will never see success if failure is an option" then that would've got the message out much better. Don't be out here killing dreams and shit. And to answer the poster's question, yes, making good money selling beats online is 100% possible. Supporting your family and living comfortably by your standards is 100% possible by selling beats online. Don't let anybody say otherwise. It really comes down to having a dope product and marketing the **** out of it. Dope beats + the ability to generate traffic and push your name to your target markets is literally all it takes. It's a lot of work but it's absolutely possible. Quit your job and roll the dice, BUT WORK. Or else it won't work for you. You NEED the time to do it, and having a 9-5 + a family will simply leave you no time to do this.

I think it's possible but rly hard to do, u should meet poeple who live in music industry.
I agree 1000%. I worked with a producer who was like 20 who was all on that "I only wanna work with people I respect musically/creatively." I told him(Can't believe I said this, but) go get your money. You're a producer go get your money. Well needless to say, he took my advice to heart. He started to working with Maybach music camp. Producing half of nearly half of Meek's album. The kid doesn't even respond to my phone calls or texts, anymore. But he's doing really well. So can you.

It sounds cliché, but you have to network and you have to be really, really, great. And this particular producer did internships with a pretty prestigious producing team. So find a way to accomplish those things, and there's no reason why you can't make it like he has.

Last edited:
I lurked through the forums a lot and spent tons of time researching questions like the title of the thread and read lots of articles, threads, testimonies, etc.

I'm not an expert. This is my honest observation.

I came to the conclusion that most people, and I'm not going to name any names on the this forum, but most people that say the odds are against you are people with some shitty or mediocre sounding product.

That's good news for us talented and positive folks. :)

Got to have that New Sound, The industry isn't looking for who is similar to the best producers in game though this can really
help with the financial success of a producing career. In all honesty from my 3 years on the business side of the music game everybody hungry for that new sound that's going to lead the specific genre of music into the next revolution. In my opinion that's why every producer should focus on creating and perfecting there own style in that genre other than imitating. Once you find your niche and become consistent you gone be laughing to the bank playa.

Last edited:
Back