Business Relationship with Artists

G

How you guys feel about the work/business relationship between you & your artist?

Meaning you "manage/work" with an artist that you claim as your own. You are his/her "producer" & "engineer" do you charge??? Of course you have split sheets but thats not anything upfront. Then what you do make substantial profit through grinding, who tallys the books? Who splits it all up? Who takes into account the producer fees, engineer,...etc

How you guys feel about the work/business relationship between you & your artist?

Meaning you "manage/work" with an artist that you claim as your own. You are his/her "producer" & "engineer" do you charge??? Of course you have split sheets but thats not anything upfront. Then what you do make substantial profit through grinding, who tallys the books? Who splits it all up? Who takes into account the producer fees, engineer,...etc

Currently, I'm following through with an aggressive plan to grow the number of artist I work with on a non contractual basis. No contract makes the business transaction real simple. Venue owners pay me and I pay the artists after taking my 15% cut. The artist like this because they get paid for performing and, obviously, keep most of the profit. I like it this way because I get my money first. As far as production cost are concerned, the are completely different cost from what I offer as a business manager. Beats, recording, mixing, mastering, printing, and other needed elements have their own associated cost that must be paid.

Everyone is responsible for collecting their own money in my crew. Audio engineers get paid up front no matter what. If you're an engineer and not getting paid up front you are working for free. It's the same for producers; although, producers usually get paid on the front end and back end. The money is split by the people who are involved in the collection of the money.

Sounds dope. But it sounds as if the artists you work with or manage whichever you call it, already have an income of some sort whether performances or other ave. In my situation its not the same. In my situation I am the "Manager," producer, engineer, artist consultant, songwriter, and a list of almost anything else you can think of. lol Now im trying to protect myself and them as we continue to grow as a unit. Say we do get a an offer to work with an imprint label. Then real money would be involved. Like I said im doing really everything, even though I dont like the term "manager" because im not really doing all that managers do simply because of time and I prefer engineering.

How would I keep it in the best interests of us all so that if this does happen it wont be all you taking to much of the cut or whatever. I know about contracts and everything, Im speaking in terms of right now...Should I charge right now?

Last edited:
Sounds dope. But it sounds as if the artists you work with or manage whichever you call it, already have an income of some sort whether performances or other ave. In my situation its not the same. In my situation I am the "Manager," producer, engineer, artist consultant, songwriter, and a list of almost anything else you can think of. lol Now im trying to protect myself and them as we continue to grow as a unit. Say we do get a an offer to work with an imprint label. Then real money would be involved. Like I said im doing really everything, even though I dont like the term "manager" because im not really doing all that managers do simply because of time and I prefer engineering.

How would I keep it in the best interests of us all so that if this does happen it wont be all you taking to much of the cut or whatever. I know about contracts and everything, Im speaking in terms of right now...Should I charge right now?

Yes you should charge, right now.

Not all of the artist I represent make money. The management I do includes helping artist find performances and such, so in a way, I make it possible for new artist make money with their music. Just like you, I wear a lot of hats as an independent business owner. I charge people up front for certain services like web design, studio time, beats, extraordinary marketing, promo, and article writing. I also get revenue on music sales, performances I book, and payment plans that I arrange for specific individuals.

Last edited:
OKay okay..could you share some of your payment plans? What if your artist cant afford to pay? Do you ask for a higher percentage in the future if they did make more/any money?

OKay okay..could you share some of your payment plans? What if your artist cant afford to pay? Do you ask for a higher percentage in the future if they did make more/any money?

The packages that I put together are usually affordable enough anyone to afford. Web development packages start a $159.99 and up. Business management packages usually require customization so those prices vary based on needs. If an artist can't afford my prices then I don't work with them. Talent is important but I have bills that can't get paid with talent. Bill collectors will only take spendable currency. Therefore, artist need to have a job that can support their music ambitions. If I divide payments for someone, it also means that I'm dividing the work load. Once they pay for the next step, I complete it; it's that simple.

Last edited:
The packages that I put together are usually affordable enough anyone to afford. Web development packages start a $159.99 and up. Business management packages usually require customization so those prices vary based on needs. If an artist can't afford my prices then I don't work with them. Talent is important but I have bills that can't get paid with talent. Bill collectors will only take spendable currency. Therefore, artist need to have a job that can support their music ambitions. If I divide payments for someone, it also means that I'm dividing the work load. Once they pay for the next step, I complete it; it's that simple.

great points

allright nice. thanks for the insight. got to put some more thought into all this

Back