Artist Management: Starting out with an Artist

JMD_Music

So there's a duo I'm close to helping out. I found them on Youtube and they have some original songs from an EP they recently released, but the music wasn't really mastered so it all sounds like a rough mix. I was willing to lease some cheap instrumentals from Soundclick or here and help them release another 4-6 song EP. I know of a very cheap marketing company I was going to use starting out. That would cost me no more than $110.

They live in another state, but I still wanted to help them book local shows if possible after the first song from the EP is released. I don't have any graphic design skills yet, so I'm planning to hire a designer to take care of single and cover art. I'd also like to send some of their music to A&R's at labels and publishing companies. We're not signing any contracts, so even though I'd be spending money on them, I'd be doing it to build a relationship with them. They're a male/female duo of cousins.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for me?

always have some paperwork signed even if you don't want a return on your invest...
have paperwork that insures that your Management company is on all material and represented..this will build up the credibility and brand of your management company..

you going to also need to pay for the EP to be mixed and then mastered

Once you're done doing this you're going to spend at least $1,000 to $3,000(all expenses and your time)
your time is a expense to you since you're not charging
you'll need a logo for your company as well
you'll need to hire a social media Manager to run your social network campaign
you'll need to start contacting tons of music journalist vloggers and music journalist bloggers

you need at least 90 days to pull this off
you need to have every penny and every duty down in writing and when you going to do it exactly
I have some more things ideas for you but I gave away too many freebies already...
I get paid to help ppl do this...from the social media campaigns to the planning of albums releases

I haven't yet started a company, so a lot of that wouldn't really pertain to me. At most I'd spend a total of $200 on them. We've never met so I'm not going to ask them to sign anything unless we started making some noise. They can pay for the mixing and mastering themselves

I will strongly suggest that you sign this act...do everything free in the beginning(because you seem gun-ho on doing this for free)
because if you don't sign them to a management contract you could be investing in this group and they go run off to another management company and even get signed to label deal..and they don't have to give your credit for their start/success ...and your management company will still be unknown

I would hope to sign them after 2-3 months of working together. I just don't think it would work if I went to them with zero experience asking them to sign a contract.

I haven't yet started a company, so a lot of that wouldn't really pertain to me. At most I'd spend a total of $200 on them. We've never met so I'm not going to ask them to sign anything unless we started making some noise. They can pay for the mixing and mastering themselves

if they going to pay for their own mixing and mastering they would have done it by now...be careful $200 won't get you far...the expenses pile up pretty quick
if you're going to do a efficient job at managing this group not just some unprofitable operation
unprofitable doesn't just mean dollars but your credibility and time you have to behave like a business or stay out of the Music BUSINESS

the contract will become void if you don't do the things you promise to do in the contract in certain amount of time
and the contract should be worded as such

Last edited:
I understand everything you're saying.

No artist in their right mind would sign a contract with someone they've never met that doesn't have any experience, which is why I'm not asking them. I already know what goes into a contract.

I understand everything you're saying.

No artist in their right mind would sign a contract with someone they've never met that doesn't have any experience, which is why I'm not asking them. I already know what goes into a contract.

then don't spend a dime on them...spend just your time
guide them ...only show them your management skills
your artist development skills
and no money needs to come out of your pocket
I would spend that $200 on your own business
small starting capital but it will get you a website,a logo,and business cards for local meet and greets small amount of legal paperwork done
build up your credibility as a real company

Last edited:
I know where you're coming from about not spending money on them, but I'm building their trust by doing so. And $200 isn't a lot of money.

I know where you're coming from about not spending money on them, but I'm building their trust by doing so. And $200 isn't a lot of money.

your management skills should build their trust if your efforts are fruitful and they start to build a fanbase and get gigs directly from what you're doing for them

I don't really have any management skills yet. I'm still learning which is why I'd outsource some of the marketing.

I don't really have any management skills yet. I'm still learning which is why I'd outsource some of the marketing.

management isn't just about marketing it's about being able to network with movers and shakers so you can provide opportunities for your acts
invest in yourself to build those skills

Last edited:
Thanks. I've seen all these videos before.

and if you did even when first starting off these managers didn't spend money on artists and they were able to sign artists to their management company...they showed their passion,drive,and applied skills they had and learned along the way...

you should know exactly what you're going to offer a artists/group before even approaching them have your elevator pitch ready you use to this to sign artists you believe in and to get deals for the artists you believe in
1.how many music journalists do you have a relationship with
2.how many graphic artists do you have a relationship with
3.how many venues have you visited and made relationships with the ppl that run those venues
building relationships with music professionals is one of the best ways you can grow as a management company

so much you can do to boost your credibility and brand so a artist will see you as trust worthy

blessing in your endeavor

Back