any producers have issues with youtube content id

mrskytown

im a music producer and i sell my customers the licence to use my productions under my terms and conditions and i make original music and i also buy royalty free sounds and loops and incorporate them into my productions,

im wondering if my customers will have any issues with this whole content id thing,

i understand that me using those royalty free sounds can cause issues if other people buy and use them, but i was wondering is there a way i can bypass the content id from my content to avoid issues,

i think the term is whitelisting.

this is a headache, going to stop buying loops next time i guess does any beat makers have issues with youtube content id

Last edited by a moderator:
im a music producer and i sell my customers the licence to use my productions under my terms and conditions and i make original music and i also buy royalty free sounds and loops and incorporate them into my productions,

im wondering if my customers will have any issues with this whole content id thing,

i understand that me using those royalty free sounds can cause issues if other people buy and use them, but i was wondering is there a way i can bypass the content id from my content to avoid issues,

i think the term is whitelisting.

this is a headache, going to stop buying loops next time i guess does any beat makers have issues with youtube content id

if you read the license given to you when you buy a loop library most allow you to use the library to make "original" music instrumentals and sell that (what they don't want you to do is resell) their loop library

Yes, there is a possibility of them running into issues. It's been happening a lot lately

I'm not sure if this is possible

if you read the license given to you when you buy a loop library most allow you to use the library to make "original" music instrumentals and sell that (what they don't want you to do is resell) their loop library

This is true, although, bigger issues arise depending on who the client is and what the intended use is. I've been in and out of court over the last decade due to my use of the Sony Acid Loop Libraries (Royalty free).

Last edited:
care to expand on that, where you can of course?

Hey Bandcoach,

Basically, lots of composers using the same Royalty Free Loop libraries and winding up on popular TV/Film and Albums. I can't disclose which libraries, but I will say, everyone has access to them, big and small.

I've won some/lost some because there is no way to prove that X composer created based on the loop itself or because he heard how Z composer used the loop. It's a mess

pretty much what I figured; using someone else's material as the initial source can end up actually influencing the whole production - hardest part is as you say, determining which came first and as we all know it was neither the chicken nor the egg but the rooster.... (I just Gibbs-Slapped myself for that one, but leaving it any way as I first read it when I was 11 and understood it to mean exactly what I am saying here - that without some form of fertilisation you cannot create period)

shame the courts will actually rule on this but that is the environment we live in

yet another reason to learn more about how to create and create your own backing instead of relying on loops/sampling

Last edited:
I just Gibbs-Slapped myself

LOL I've been doing a lot of that lately.

yet another reason to learn more about how to create and create your own backing instead of relying on loops/sampling

Yes it is, learning the hard way over here.

hardest part is as you say, determining which came first the and as we all know it was neither the chicken nor the egg but the rooster.

Yea, pretty much. It's a huge mess. I think people purchase royalty-free without truly understanding what royalty free means

Last edited:
Basically, lots of composers using the same Royalty Free Loop libraries and winding up on popular TV/Film and Albums. I can't disclose which libraries, but I will say, everyone has access to them, big and small...

Yup....A while back I was channel surfing and found myself watching an MTV reality show. During the show, I heard a beat that sounded like a royalty free "sample pack" track I heard on a "loops" site. Sure enough I found it and guess what - it sounded exactly like the preview track found in the library. Unmodified.

SMH...

To my knowledge, you should be able to use the material in these packs with the understanding that you have to add something different to it. You can't just use it "as is". Obviously, in the previous example, it seems that the person who licensed it just passed the music off as their own.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, you should be able to use the material in these packs with the understanding that you have to add something different to it. You can't just use it "as is". Obviously, in the previous example, it seems that the person who licensed it just passed the music off as their own.

Even if you add 'something' to it, that doesn't clear you from being sued. It doesn't matter if your composition is 95% original and 5% library. The moment 2 tracks have the same loops or phrases and one gets placed, it becomes open season, the terms of the supplying library won't save you.

Even if you add 'something' to it, that doesn't clear you from being sued. It doesn't matter if your composition is 95% original and 5% library. The moment 2 tracks have the same loops or phrases and one gets placed, it becomes open season, the terms of the supplying library won't save you.

Crazy.

When you submitted the music for placement was the company aware that it contained source material?

Crazy.

When you submitted the music for placement was the company aware that it contained source material?

No, it wasn't even questioned back then. Most composers felt they were safe as long as it wasn't a "traditional" sample. We figured "royalty free" it should be ok. These days most companies have access to the libraries. They outsource for what they don't have. So when they receive rehashed material they already have (canned sound) it's a fast way to get x-ed from someone's hand. Especially a music supervisor or pitching agency.

Not to mention, most people using the libraries lack the ability to make the loop cohesively gel with the rest of their track (dynamically) so it stands out like a sore thumb very easy to spot.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Its starting to sound like samples and royalty free loop libraries are dealt with differently depending on who acquires the music?

What I mean by this is - lets say I make a hot beat and it gets picked up by an A&R for some big name artist and ends up landing on their project.

To my understanding, the label will contact the composer (me) to acquire the information about the music (eg: samples etc contained in the music). And then use their resources to resolve any licensing discrepancies that may arise (Sometimes even cutting the original composer(me) out of the mix through slick interpolation). #shady ~ But it seems like when it comes to submitting music to these film placement companies (taxi?) they expect you to be the sole copyright holder for the entire body of music. And if not, they're comin after you with guns drawn. lol

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but Its starting to sound like samples and royalty free loop libraries are dealt with differently depending on who acquires the music?

What I mean by this is - lets say I make a hot beat and it gets picked up by an A&R for some big name artist and ends up landing on their project.

To my understanding, the label will contact the composer (me) to acquire the information about the music (eg: samples etc contained in the music). And then use their resources to resolve any licensing discrepancies that may arise (Sometimes even cutting the original composer(me) out of the mix through slick interpolation). #shady ~ But it seems like when it comes to submitting music to these film placement companies (taxi?) they expect you to be the sole copyright holder for the entire body of music. And if not, they're comin after you with guns drawn. lol

The film industry doesn't like dealing with samples. No need splitting profits when you don't have to.

companies and clients generally don't initiate lawsuits, its composer vs composer...then the other entities are pulled in.

One composer can be sued by multiple parties revolving around the same issue.

it's a snowball effect

Last edited:
Back