Am i a signed or unsigned label?

SRJ Productions

Hi there

I am an amateur music producer but have sort of set up myself as a label in order to release my own music. I've signed up to a company who distribute my tracks digitally to outlets like iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, etc. I've now been approached by a label offering me a licensing and publishing deal saying that I must be unsigned. So, am I already technically 'signed' by having my tracks already released with an ISRC Code, etc?

Cheers
SRJ

Yes, I am going to leave Itchycoo Records well alone, but just wanted to know if there were any legal implications if I were to be signed by a label but already have my tracks released...? Can the same track have two different ISRC codes, for example, one relating to my release and the other relating to the label?

Thanks again!

you might want to read through the isrc handbook on that one - note that any new mix is considered a different version (but not necessarily any new master)

go to the isrc site to read more about the limits of what you are seeking to do

I would think though that as a self-published artist, all they would want is for you to sign over the publishing rights (get a lawyer involved first to make sure that you are not being ripped off here) for an advance on future sales

Back