7 Ways Most Musicians Screw Up Big Time & How to Fix Them

dwells

found this on TJ Chapman's blog. http://www.tjchapman.com/7-ways-most-musicians-screw-up-big-time-and-h . and wanted to pass it along. very very good info!

7 Ways Most Musicians Screw Up Big Time & How to Fix Them

I'm not a TV person, so I'm a bit behind on this, but a friend of mine just turned me onto a show called "Shark Tank" (watch on Hulu) and I think it's worth a mention here.
The show is based on a BBC/CBC series called "Dragon's Den" and features entrepreneurs with big ideas, but not enough money to make them happen. Each episode, a group of self-made millionaires from all corners of the business world take their own money and offer some to these entrepreneurs for a piece of their businesses...assuming the idea is any good and everything is in order.
As I was watching, I noticed some similarities between the entrepreneurs on the show and upcoming musicians.
Here are some "big ideas" that you may find helpful in your music business pursuit, since overlooking these will likely kill your music career before it gets off the ground:
1. Attachment is Deadly

This is important!! It happens in business, relationships, and all aspects of life and rarely does it end up well.
The best example of this is the "Monkey Trap" used in Africa. Like the aspects of life "attachment" affects, there are several versions of this trap.
How it works...
The trap consists of a container with a hole cut into it just wide enough for a monkey to stick its empty hand into. The container is baited with something attractive to the monkey, such as a nut.
The monkey reaches for bait. The monkey can't take its hand out of the trap as long it's holding the nut.
The monkey could leave at any time simply by opening its hand, but it wants the bait so badly, it will literally stay at the trap and be captured (or clubbed over the head) rather than let go.
It's easy to think, "What a stupid monkey," but we humans do similar things all the time and "Shark Tank" is a great example of this...over and over again.
The best "music business" example I can think of is being attached to songs. They're like babies and we don't want to change them of give them to somebody else, even though that might mean a better life.
I know a guy who had a great song that caught the attention of an upcoming artist. He had the option of getting it cut and released or holding on it and working it as an artist himself.
He chose that latter...which turned out to be a big mistake, since the "upcoming artist" was Garth Brooks.
In all fairness, nobody knew Garth would be as big as he is, but even an "upcoming artist" cutting and releasing his song was a sure thing; his record deal was not.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... Still holding onto an idea (or anything) too tightly will kill it. 100% of zero is zero.
2. Know Your Numbers

What would the Super Bowl be like if nobody was keeping score?
What would gambling be like if no money was involved?
Keep score! If you don't know how much your albums, live shows, and other expenses are costing your, or how much they're making you, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Without metrics, you could be losing a fortune and not even know it...or making a fortune and not know you need to do more of that to make even more money.
This works on many different levels... A club owner isn't going to book you without knowing how many people you're going to bring. A bank isn't going to loan you money with your publishing catalog as collateral without knowing its value.
Keep track of your numbers. Know where you're making money and where you're losing it. Do more of what makes you money and less (or none) of what doesn't.

3. Prove the Concept

Think you've got a great album? Think your band has what it takes to go national?
Numbers (see above) don't lie and "measurement eliminates argument." Prove your stuff is good by showing it on a small scale.
Why small?
For the sake of argument, let's say you only have $1000 to spend. It's much more effective for you to spend it all in once place, hitting the same people again and again, than spread it out over several places.
Think of it in terms of "flyers." If you've only got 1000 flyers to hand out, you'll make a much bigger impact on the guy who sees 10 of them than the guy who only sees one. One flyer, unfortunately for you, isn't enough to do anything. Put some muscle behind it by focusing your marketing efforts on one area and hitting it hard.
Keep this in mind... If you can do it in one place, you can do it several places.
Humans like to think that we're all different, but the reality is that we've got a lot more in common than not. If 1000 people make a certain decision, such as buying your music, it's likely that 5000 people will make that same decision, if you do the same thing 5x bigger. Because of this, it's easy to get a feel for how your music, your marketing, or anything else will do on a massive scale by testing it on a smaller one.
So go "small" to prove what you've got works. The people you're wanting to get the attention of will get this since nobody in business is going to spend a ton of cash "testing" something on a national audience. They know a better option is to have less risk by working with a smaller audience, so they'll understand.

4. Having Options Means More Money

In business, having more demand than supply is synonymous with getting the most money for what you've got. When there is only once product (you) and more than one person interested in buying it, the price always goes up.
Do what you can to get more than one person/company interested in what you're doing and you'll get a better deal. In the music business, this is knowing as a "bidding war."
How do you make a bidding war happen? Prove the concept and know your numbers.

5. Play Big

The difference between the average musician and the ones who make a ton of cash is how they play the game. Successful musicians go balls out and take chances. They don't wait to be discovered, they make discovery happen.
If you watch one of these shows, you'll also see the investment made is based on the person behind the idea, not the idea itself. The difference between a "good idea" and a successful business is the person (or people) behind it.
Most musicians are like hitch hikers. They go to the highway with some idea of where they should be going, but not really, they just know where they are right now isn't working for them. So they wait around for somebody and do things according on somebody else's schedule and plan.
Successful musicians take risks and control their own situations. They're the ones driving the car. It it crashes, they take responsibility, but the car goes exactly where they want, not just in the general direction. And like driving a car, they're constantly evaluating where they are and recalibrating, based on where they want to go.
Ask yourself this question:
Are you just trying to get a little father away from where you are now or are you going somewhere specific?

6. Bet Everything

You don't get big results by having a "Plan B." Having something to fall back on gives you an excuse not to work as hard.
If you're really certain of your music business success, why have a backup plan?
Uncertainty is what causes failure. Is this you? If so, all is not lost... The solution is to work so that you make your success inevitable.
What are the things you have to have in place to make your music business goals happen?

7. Get Realistic

If you're not honest with yourself and able to get a realistic opinion of where you are now, you'll never be able to improve.
As I mentioned earlier, "Measurement eliminates argument."
Where do you start? If I were talking about weight loss, it would be for you to get on a scale.
What is the "scale" for the music business? Number of gigs you're playing? Amount of people on your mailing list? Number of albums sold? Probably all of the above...and then some.
If you really want to do this, you need to know this information and work to improve it.
The harsh reality...
If you don't have numbers, aren't really committed to this, or have no idea if your "big idea" works, give up the thought of ever really doing this on a big level. There are too many people who have these things in order and that is who investors, labels, publishing companies, and fans always go with.
Why settle for anything less? It's doubtful you do coming at it as a music fan.
Regardless of the economy, the state of the record business, or anything else, there is ALWAYS room for great artists and people will ALWAYS pay for it.
People want art. More importantly, they want a break from their day-to-day lives and they're looking for somebody to provide it. This can be you, but you've got to do the work to make it happen.

Answer These Questions Below:

Let's take you out of the question and pretend you're looking at somebody just like you...
1. Would you support somebody at your current level? 2. Would you invest in them?

3. If so, post why below. If not, post what you can do to make it so people will support you, you will get the attention you need, and you will make the money necessary to make a good living...

4. What are you doing to make your success inevitable?

right now im just focusing on learning as much as possible, practicing the keyboard daily, and reading reading reading, " you wanna hide somethin from a ni99a put it in a book"(jadakiss) i used to be that guy but everytime i get tired of reading i just think of that ..

knowledge is power

the_more_you_know.jpg

Let's take you out of the question and pretend you're looking at
somebody just like you...

1. Would you support somebody at your current level?

2. Would you invest in them?

3. If so, post why below. If not, post what you can do to make it so people will support you, you will get the attention you need, and you will make the money necessary to make a good living...

Last edited:

Honestly,

1. I would support someone at my current (talent) level cuz I do believe my art is good professional music.

2. If this person is just like me currently then I wouldn't invest because....

3.I know I have no real business plan in place and I lack grind due to pure lazyness and social issues, plain and simple. Therefore, I dont have those "numbers" you spoke of that investors (labels) look for. I'm starting by being honest with myself...knowing that it takes more than just talent to make a decent living in this business of music. Next, I need to gain more knowledge of this business and let common sense rule. I have to learn to separate business and personal feelings. I must come up with a business plan that best works for me, my team and our target market. I must learn to pay more attention to the facts business wise rather than opinions (my own especially). I need to be more of a people person...because your level of likeablity is your fan base...I must promote myself and my team with as much passion as we put in creating our art because I feel our music demands it.

4. Fine tuning my art is the only thing I can say I have done/ am doing consistently

In conclusion, this is a great thread dwells, really opened my eyes...its not the big things i'm doing wrong its the small ones..and the smalls ones kill...alot of us kill our own dream before we even get started...I must get the simple things (things that mainly require common sense) right.... how could I manage $100,000 if i can't figure out what to do with $10...
:cheers:

Last edited:
he means if a record (song) isn't working, like nobody likes the record, then move on to the next record. and don't stick with on record too long. hell i know artist that keep trying to push the same one song for 3 years. they need to come up with new records 3 years ago.

Great thread. I'm too tired to read right now, but I'm subscribing.

1. I wouldn't support anyone at my current level. (Well I'd give them support but I wouldn't hype them)

2. I wouldn't invest in them

I tell myself that I know theory, which I do, but I know I can get a much better grasp on it. I need to set my priorities straight. I'm juggling between school, music and other things and doing that means my mind isn't in one place. I need to focus and practice music... A LOT. Once again... great thread.

we should always change music. music is like water. when it is in motion it is clean (in nature), but still waters are murky and cloudy. music needs to be in motion otherwise it will get stale.

I appreciate that, but the real thanks is to TJ Chapman for writing it.

Hey Dwells, I don't know who TJ Chapman is, but I know he didn't write this blog and can find himself in some trouble if he is saying it's his work. (I check the blog and no credit is given to the original writer.)

I read 15 music blogs every morning and one of them is www.musicmarketing.com.

I was very pleased to see someone around here that actually does research, but after checking out TJ's blog I was sad to see that you're missing 10x better info from the original source.

Anyway, check out the site. The article is written by
David Hooper :cheers:

Hit me up if you or anyone else wants to know what blogs I read every morning. I dedicate about 2 hours every morning to upgrading my brain with the latest music news, releases, technology, business models, mishaps, etc. Believe me, I learn something that gets me one up on everyone here every morning. I don't mind sharing.

Hey Dwells, I don't know who TJ Chapman is, but I know he didn't write this blog and can find himself in some trouble if he is saying it's his work. (I check the blog and no credit is given to the original writer.)

I read 15 music blogs every morning and one of them is www.musicmarketing.com.

I was very pleased to see someone around here that actually does research, but after checking out TJ's blog I was sad to see that you're missing 10x better info from the original source.

Anyway, check out the site. The article is written by
David Hooper :cheers:

Hit me up if you or anyone else wants to know what blogs I read every morning. I dedicate about 2 hours every morning to upgrading my brain with the latest music news, releases, technology, business models, mishaps, etc. Believe me, I learn something that gets me one up on everyone here every morning. I don't mind sharing.

thanks, your right TJ Chapman didn't write that post. but I missed this in my post:

. he actually did cite the source he found it from (like i did), I just didn't see it.

but I am very surprised you don't know who TJ is. you are sleeping on one the most influential djs in urban music. I know who TJ is and I know what he does, he is a very valuable resource in this game

thanks, your right TJ Chapman didn't write that post. but I missed this in my post:

. he actually did cite the source he found it from (like i did), I just didn't see it.

but I am very surprised you don't know who TJ is. you are sleeping on one the most influential djs in urban music. I know who TJ is and I know what he does, he is a very valuable resource in this game

Thanks, I'll keep tabs on his blog fa sho. But I'd be lying if I were to say that I actually feel like I'm sleeping on anything compared to anyone on Earth when it comes to new music business. I read everything. Adding TJ to that if he really has any good infos which I'm sure he does if you vouch for him. Thanks again.

makes sense...

but what's the best way to gauge whether or not people like your record / song???

this takes observation skills. you might as well ask, how can you tell if a chick is into you?

just because people say they like it doesn't mean they actually do. remember actions matter.

Are they playing your music?

Are they talking about it?

ARE THEY BUYING IT?

Are they responding to it the way they should. If it is club music, are they dancing? If it is lyrical, are people reciting the lyrics?

Keep in mind songs have a shelf life, the strength of the song dictates how long you can use it.

Back