14 year old getting signed/discovered

DJ.Oblivion

okay first off id like to just state this is cliche i guess...everyone wants to be famous yadayada. you hear it a million times. id love it. will it happen to me? probably not. will i try my hardest to reach that goal? you bet. now id like to say im 14. age doesn't nessisarily matter but i heard that labels like to hire younger musicians because they have more time to make money off of them...alright so now is the part where i ask the questions. as a 14 year old progressive house and dub/dubstep producer how can i get my music out there? how would i go about getting discovered? im learning new techniques everyday...i hope to one day go to college for a music degree....right now im sharing my music with my friends with facebook, posting on youtube (about 650 views right now)...i will do whaever it takes to make this a professional carreer. i want to be the next deadmau5...i just have no clue how im going to get there...thanks in advance!

heres my latest song btw: DJ.OBLIVION - Strobes - YouTube

1. Track down the numbers to labels, call, ask for the A&R dept. Tell them you'd like to submit material.
2. Start passing out your music to local DJs and even classmates to play at houseparties.
3. Get a buzz going around your hometown.
4. Call back to labels and invite them down to check out your work in a club setting where you're now getting regular play after following step 2 if no other step kicks it up a notch before this one.

okay sounds like a plan...i was also thinking about uploading my music as a free mp3 ep for download....that way maybe more people can get a hold to it and listen frequently

First off. Good for you for nailing down what you wanna do and going all out for it. I wish I had as much focus as you when I was 14.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup provided some good steps.

The key right now is to spread your beats like wildfire to get noticed. Youtube is good but you have to think about other avenues. I would say you definitely need a central place to have all of your work so you can easily show people what you got. This could be youtube or your own website (which would be even better).

I would also think about collaborating with rising stars. Maybe submitting a beat into them to see if they want to cover it. Win win for each person as they get a beat and you get a singer. Then you can share each other's audience.

well i do have a website sorta it has some info and links to my fb and youtube, djoblivion.webs.com collaborating with rising stars...thatd be hard...i dont live in california or anything i mean its louisiana in the middle of nowhere...small town...idk how thatd work out...i have been making theme song for peoples youtube videos though

well i do have a website sorta it has some info and links to my fb and youtube, djoblivion.webs.com collaborating with rising stars...thatd be hard...i dont live in california or anything i mean its louisiana in the middle of nowhere...small town...idk how thatd work out...i have been making theme song for peoples youtube videos though

Making theme songs for people's youtube videos is an awesome start and you should keep on doing that.

Collaborating with people is easier than it was a few years ago. The internet as made it so much easier to do this.

Make a list of people you wouldn't mind collaborating with. Then find their contact information. Sometimes it's as easy as sending them an email or leaving comments on their pages. Every small thing counts.

how would i get this info? im not exactly sure what you mean by rising star really...celebrity contacts are like impossible to get O_O {i tried for like a week to find deadmau5's number...only got his address :( }

how would i get this info? im not exactly sure what you mean by rising star really...celebrity contacts are like impossible to get O_O {i tried for like a week to find deadmau5's number...only got his address :( }

The bigger stars usually have managers that you have to get through to so it's really an uphill battle. I mean start with other artists trying to establish themselves. Maybe you follow some on youtube that you can contact?

Or if there are websites you regularly visit, maybe the person in charge is looking for beats in their new video?

I wrote an article about teaming up with bloggers and vloggers. I can't paste it here because I haven't reached the post quota yet but I'll try to pm you the link.

thank you!i definately have ideas now.....i know a few places i might be able to work with...oh and as a responce to deranged 4 phukdup....i tried all last night to find the a&r department of a few labels and no go...i tried ultra, mau5trap, and a few others and i have no clue on how to find the numbers or emails to contact them O___O

thank you!i definately have ideas now.....i know a few places i might be able to work with...oh and as a responce to deranged 4 phukdup....i tried all last night to find the a&r department of a few labels and no go...i tried ultra, mau5trap, and a few others and i have no clue on how to find the numbers or emails to contact them O___O

Great. I pm'd you the message so hopefully it got to you okay. Good luck and let us know how things develop.

DJ.Oblivion,

All artists have Publishers or someone representing the licensing of their music. That would be a good start. Better still labels always have contact information on their cd jackets. Try those. Good luck!

If you're 14, you should DEFINITELY try to work with someone that can push you (manager, talent agent, attorney, producer, etc.) rather than trying to do it all yourself. I've worked with kids but it's always been through their manager/agent.

I don't live in a big city or anything like that... and i doubt my parents would pay for it...i figured doing it all independently would help i guess....i just did a free ep that I'm letting people download...figured it'd advertise itself...my dad runs a recording studio and is in 2 bands...but that only really helps if i need gear...so i dont really have any ideas on that :-/
and another thing do you think i have talent/am good enough? heres my latest: DJ.OBLIVION - Killing The Immortal - YouTube

That's the beauty of the internet. As long as you have ambition and keep on perfecting your craft, your music will get noticed. So much easier now then it was before.

PS - I am thinking about creating a podcast and will feature new music. Would you be cool with I used a clip of your music as my intro?

okay first off id like to just state this is cliche i guess...everyone wants to be famous yadayada. you hear it a million times. id love it. will it happen to me? probably not. will i try my hardest to reach that goal? you bet. now id like to say im 14. age doesn't nessisarily matter but i heard that labels like to hire younger musicians because they have more time to make money off of them...alright so now is the part where i ask the questions. as a 14 year old progressive house and dub/dubstep producer how can i get my music out there? how would i go about getting discovered? im learning new techniques everyday...i hope to one day go to college for a music degree....right now im sharing my music with my friends with facebook, posting on youtube (about 650 views right now)...i will do whaever it takes to make this a professional carreer. i want to be the next deadmau5...i just have no clue how im going to get there...thanks in advance!

heres my latest song btw: DJ.OBLIVION - Strobes - YouTube

I'm an EDM producer, and I've been doing it since nearly your age. If I were you I would NOT look for a record label, because record labels are very obsolete. You can be an independent musician so much easier in today's times, and for your young age you should be very happy for that. Message me, and we can talk on Skype! I can give you some advice on where to go.

Brian

okay :) ive been doing my music...just doing dubstep...im getting a specific style....have gotten loads better learned a ton of tricks like sidechaining etc...i have like 26 subs and almost 1.5k views...doing ok but thats not cutting it...i want mmmooorrreee lol.....

do you have a facebook? we can chat there i dont have skype...message my page DJ Oblivion | Facebook

thank you! :)

I respect that you are producing at such a young age man - I barely knew what EDM was when I was 14. YOu have such a head start because you are so young, just practice, practice, listen and learn.

Back