Do people NOT see the problem with SoundCloud, ReverbNation, etc?

HelpYourMusic

Pushing all your traffic to Soundcloud or ReverbNation is a dangerous thing.

I'm by no means saying get rid of them, but the purpose of these sites is to
point people back to YOUR site where you can control the intake for a listener.

If you want start connecting with listeners more, a personal site is so far beyond
just having a SoundCloud page.

It looks more professional and definitely brings in more sales for your music
(as long as you know what you're doing on the marketing end)

Everyone remembers what happened to MySpace. Start building equity in your
music business. You have to own something, and a site is a great asset to have.

Not really. Most of the sites for independent acts are horrible. Indie acts should only have their own sites if they can hire some company to create the site for them. People think a do-it-yourself site is cool. Nope, not at all.

There is nothing worse than a bad website for advertising one's brand. Indie acts should focus on the music and let the web experts handle the websites. It makes a huge difference in generating traffic and connecting with fans.

I'll agree with some of what you said, but a large part of what you said is the exact
mindset that holds many artists back from ever going full-time with their music career.

I didn't hire someone to do my site, Omari MC | Professional Production | Artist Development — Omari MC. Instead I did the smart way
and bought a theme instead for Wordpress. Cost way less and whenever I need to make
a change I do it.

Whenever you hire someone you have to rely on them for all subtle changes you need
to make. A total pain. You need to be able to add pages at the drop of a dime to run
a legitimate business. Trust me.

An artist who wants to go full-time needs to wear multiple hats for running their business.

The thing that actually makes a huge difference in traffic is marketing.

I agree not everyone is cut out for it YET, but always books, courses, and other resources that
many artists glaze over because they think they need someone else.

I'll agree with some of what you said, but a large part of what you said is the exact
mindset that holds many artists back from ever going full-time with their music career.

I didn't hire someone to do my site, Omari MC | Professional Production | Artist Development — Omari MC. Instead I did the smart way
and bought a theme instead for Wordpress. Cost way less and whenever I need to make
a change I do it.

Whenever you hire someone you have to rely on them for all subtle changes you need
to make. A total pain. You need to be able to add pages at the drop of a dime to run

An artist who wants to go full-time needs to wear multiple hats for running their business.

I agree not everyone is cut out for it YET, but always books, courses, and other resources that

I agree with you when it comes to sites such as SC. hell I started a thread on it a few weeks ago that got a lot of attention on here lol. my thing was this. sites like that really don't benefit you (an up and comer) as they have gotten too big. they now exist for big names and moderately successful individuals. I now only use SC as a means to have my music online in case someone wants to hear what I have out because it has what is needed to get you out there when you're on the go. now I seek other means of doing so because I refuse to spend $100+ annual fee for what...a few unlimited upload space? upload private tracks? tens of plays per track? why do that when I can store my files on a site like mixcloud that is smaller, functional, and allows me to upload my music without a storage cap? they need a lot of work when it comes to their lack of features but it seems ok and you can even claim royalties if you get charted if you accumulate plays.

Now I don't have a site nor do I plan on getting one until I have actually made money that exceeds my promo costs so until then my site of choice will be FB solely because it also is functional. all those other sites are just fluff. show me a site where people want to hear music from a nobody, has a great look, and I'll rally behind it. At the end of the day let's face it. How much time will a person spend on a website with limitations versus something like FB? Not too long.

@op: and now we get to the crux of your biscuit a short, homespun op-ed - watched with interest as you posted in other threads wondering what you would post once you could use links

to top it all off you really do not understand what it is you are posting about or you would not trumpet a custom wordpress theme as a good investment: unless you own the code and the domain you are still hostage to a company that may decide to charge through the nose one day simply to allow you to use your data

Last edited:
And if you knew what you were talking about you'd know that you HAVE to own the domain
name to get the custom theme.

Once you buy themes it's a one and done deal. I actually run my business full-time.

If you're seriously trying to argue that getting a custom theme is a bad investment it would
show why you're probably not making a full-time income from your music.

And if you knew what you were talking about you'd know that you HAVE to own the domain name to get the custom theme.

Once you buy themes it's a one and done deal. I actually run my business full-time.

If you're seriously trying to argue that getting a custom theme is a bad investment it would show why you're probably not making a full-time income from your music.

I own my own domains and my code and my content with no fear of losing any of it if some other business goes under or is bought out and the new owners decide to hold you to ransom - even if my hosting company goes under it is simple enough to buy new hosting and reload my sites to the new servers and redirect the domains to new nameservers

I make my money from my main profession of music teacher not from selling my music (I could but I cannot be a$$ed to deal with sharks and hustlers who think I am a moron)

attacking someone is never a good idea; attack their words and ideas not them personally

Again. A theme is a one and done deal with services like Optimize Press.

You came in here and posted about my knowledge, then when I actually
came back at you with the facts the post got deleted.

I offer quality advice that I know can earn artists and producers an INCOME
with their music, and having equity in their business is the best way to do
that.

There's people that know more than me too. I SEEK the knowledge of those
who have more success than me in a particular area. Not combat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
no the post was deleted because you attacked me not because you offered insight

btw if you had come back and attacked any member the same thing would have happened; attacking the person is not the idea here

Last edited:

a change I do it.

If an artist is big enough, they hire other people to do these things for them. I take it that you are referring to a sole proprietorship. That is an admirable goal. But some people just don't want to be bothered with all of that. I know that I don't.

Your site says:

• [*=left]STOP sending out tweets and Facebook posts with no substantial income to show for your music
    [*=left]Learn how other independent artists are making a living with ONLY their music career
    [*=left]Enter your email to get INSTANT access to the FREE blueprint
    [*=left]Or... don't sign up, and keep letting something else be your primary source of income instead of your music
You don't really seem to be a musician. You are more of a salesman. You probably make more selling advice than you do selling music, which is good. Continue to sell the dream. There is definitely more money in selling the dream than there is selling music.

Last edited:
I never understood why wearing many hats is considered to be such a good idea. That shit doesn't even make sense-you never see people wearing two, three, eight different hats in real life. Why? Because it looks fuccin ridiculous. The point is, why waste energy doing everything poorly, when I can get better results delegating tasks to those that know what they're doing?
Why would I build a website on my own when I can pay someone to make me a better one?
When I hear people talk that "sole-proprietorship" nonsense, its usually code for "too cheap or too dumb to invest in better results".

Last edited:
Are we sure you can't just buy a wordpress theme, tweak it a little, and not have any legal issues in the future? I'm legitimately asking.

I would also argue that you are definitely a salesman.

• [*=left]STOP sending out tweets and Facebook posts with no substantial income to show for your music
    [*=left]Learn how other independent artists are making a living with ONLY their music career
    [*=left]Enter your email to get INSTANT access to the FREE blueprint
    [*=left]Or... don't sign up, and keep letting something else be your primary source of income instead of your music
That is a scare tactic, and not a very disguised one, that implies you are the bridge to success. That you have some secret that every other artist is "hiding" from us, and frankly it's appalling.

Are we sure you can't just buy a wordpress theme, tweak it a little, and not have any legal issues in the future? I'm legitimately asking.

I would also argue that you are definitely a salesman.

That is a scare tactic, and not a very disguised one, that implies you are the bridge to success. That you have some secret that every other artist is "hiding" from us, and frankly it's appalling.
I don't have anything against the OP. He is a salesman first and a musician second. His site looked like the typical MLM sites I see around here from time to time.

The idea is to collect email addresses and to draw in people with free content. Once people get interested, the owner of the site begins to share more detailed and targeted knowledge. Does this knowledge help people? For some it does. For many, it does not help. But the end goal for the website is to build up a client list to pitch products to.

Some people think these types of sites are scams. But I just see them as new-age sales pitches. The goal is for clients to use the tactics to increase success. That leads to these people buying more high-level products, guides, strategies, tips, and advice from the website. The only thing missing from the OP's site is blog traffic and Google ads.

He can become more successful once he learns how to draw in enough people to read his blog daily and view ads. The product really isn't his music. He should probably not even sell beats, as this is a bit distracting. People want to learn how to sell beats, not buy beats. He should ditch selling beats and focus only on selling information to people.

1. Let's do a little research here folks before we make some claims

Head to this page right here: SoundClick artist: Omari MC - page with MP3 music downloads

Over 4.1 million hits. I left the site last year to pursue my own site
because there's more equity in it.

2. Head to this page right here: Omari MC Testimonials & Credits — Omari MC

That's Dr. Dre and Darius Rucker on there.. I thought my main job was a salesman right?
Truth is I've probably made a ton more than others, and I give advice on how people can do the same.

You don't want to take it then don't. It's hurting you more than it's hurting me.

3. There is blog traffic: Omari MC Artist Help Blog — Omari MC

This is called building a business people. Once you're self sufficient you don't have to delegate every task.
You can scale the business with technology.

But I'll just let everybody hold on to their opinion because I don't know what I'm talking about right ;)?

His site looked like the typical MLM sites I see around here from time to time...

And this is what rubs cats the wrong way...

From what I've seen around here, a lot of cats don't like to feel like they are being marketed to.

Truth is, when it comes to MLM or pitching stuff on FP you will get better results (and avoid getting your views attacked in the process) by building trust among the members and sticking around for a while contributing to the community as a whole.

Good Luck

$.02

Agreed. The thing is, I never told anyone to go to my site. It's just in my signature.

The only reason someone would ever click that link in the first place is if they feel
their marketing and promotion isn't on point.

And this is what rubs cats the wrong way...

From what I've seen around here, a lot of cats don't like to feel like they are being marketed to.

marketing is fine, it should just happen in the collaborations and opportunities sub-forum not the Business/legal/marketing strategies forum which is aimed at answering questions about marketing, legal issues and the music business in general

Truth is, when it comes to MLM or pitching stuff on FP you will get better results (and avoid getting your views attacked in the process) by building trust among the members and sticking around for a while contributing to the community as a whole.

Good Luck

$.02

Agreed. The thing is, I never told anyone to go to my site. It's just in my signature.

actually you did back in post #3

I didn't hire someone to do my site, Omari MC | Professional Production | Artist Development — Omari MC. Instead I did the smart way and bought a theme instead for Wordpress. Cost way less and whenever I need to make a change I do it.

and then again in post #16

1. Let's do a little research here folks before we make some claims

Head to this page right here: SoundClick artist: Omari MC - page with MP3 music downloads

Over 4.1 million hits. I left the site last year to pursue my own site because there's more equity in it.

2. Head to this page right here: Omari MC Testimonials & Credits — Omari MC

That's Dr. Dre and Darius Rucker on there.. I thought my main job was a salesman right? Truth is I've probably made a ton more than others, and I give advice on how people can do the same.

You don't want to take it then don't. It's hurting you more than it's hurting me.

3. There is blog traffic: Omari MC Artist Help Blog — Omari MC

This is called building a business people. Once you're self sufficient you don't have to delegate every task. You can scale the business with technology.

But I'll just let everybody hold on to their opinion because I don't know what I'm talking about right ;)?

The only reason someone would ever click that link in the first place is if they feel their marketing and promotion isn't on point.

here is the thing though, MLM is banned in many countries including the USA (no matter how you spin it is a Ponzi scheme).

in accordance with the terms of service that means an automatic blanket ban (I have abbreviated to, and highlighted, the relevant passages/phrases/words)

1. Acceptance of the Terms of Use:
1.1. By accessing or using the Website or any of the Services, you agree to be bound by these Terms of Use, together with any supplemental terms, policies, rules and guidelines that may be published on the Website by P.BORDAS. Should you object to any applicable term or condition or guideline herein set or to any subsequent modification of the foregoing, your only recourse is to immediately discontinue use of the Website.
1.2. Without prejudice to any remedy P.BORDAS is entitled to in law or equity, you further agree that P.BORDAS reserves the right to enforce the Terms of Use through self-help, community moderation, active investigation, litigation and prosecution, as it may be applicable or practicable, at P.BORDAS' sole discretion.
2. Behavioral Guidelines:

2.1. You agree not to submit or transmit (directly, indirectly or in any way whatsoever) through the Website or any of the Services any material, or otherwise engage in any conduct that may, notably:
- Be unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious in any way whatsoever or contain explicit or graphic descriptions, or accounts of, sexual acts;
- Encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, or that may give rise to civil liability;
- Use the Website or any of the Services to transmit, directly or indirectly, any unsolicited communications, scams or spamming;
- Violate these Terms of Use, or any other guideline or policy posted on the Website by P.BORDAS, its network administrators or its moderators; or

on that basis I should be banning you outright given that you have not denied you are engaged in a MLM/Ponzi scheme; in fact your words suggest that you agree with sftraxx's assessment of what you are doing.......

Last edited:
I never understood why wearing many hats is considered to be such a good idea. That shit doesn't even make sense-you never see people wearing two, three, eight different hats in real life. Why? Because it looks fuccin ridiculous. The point is, why waste energy doing everything poorly, when I can get better results delegating tasks to those that know what they're doing?
Why would I build a website on my own when I can pay someone to make me a better one?
When I hear people talk that "sole-proprietorship" nonsense, its usually code for "too cheap or too dumb to invest in better results".

you're right on so many different levels but we accept with our music making efforts:

how many people here at fp

write
record
mix
master
market/sell/promote

their own music, singularly or as a member of a group?

we try to discourage it at some levels encouraging n00bs to use someone else to mix, and someone else to master, but at the end of the day, money talks louder than anything else: beat-making is the new cottage industry, where the beat-maker does everything and then can't get a decent price because their workmanship is poor

You actually just used my statement to prove MY point. I just said I made my own site.

I have nothing to do with MLM. No one works for me and I don't work for anyone else. I give out
tips to people to help with their music. That's it... There is no MLM.

Did you even bother to LOOK at my page -->SoundClick artist: Omari MC - page with MP3 music downloads

There's literally millions of hits there, and here finally comes someone saying here's actionable
step-by-step stuff I did that helped me get there. Everybody on here always wants to know how
they can further their career. When somebody comes with the help all they get is skeptics
because the person who needs help always wants to play the 'woe is me' card and believe nothing
can ever work for their music.

You're still just mad that I pointed out the flaws in your site. My EXACT original post was
to point out business flaws that hold artists back. I've literally told NO ONE to click on my link.

These are my personal tips I use to run my music business and help me get more listeners and
fans. That's it. This isn't complicated.

Back