How to get all samples in tune?

M

mitch0304

Whatsup RJ? Was just on Pandora and was listening to "Hand me Downs" Great instrumental. I was wondering what you do to get all your samples in tune with each other? I'm only 16 and just recently started making beats but I have trouble making every sample to coincide well with each other. Thanks!

Whatsup RJ? Was just on Pandora and was listening to "Hand me Downs" Great instrumental. I was wondering what you do to get all your samples in tune with each other? I'm only 16 and just recently started making beats but I have trouble making every sample to coincide well with each other. Thanks!

I've been doing it for a while and I still havent figured it out yet. :banghead: The way I have to do it is trial and error. Im sure there's a more sure fire way. Hopefully he tells it. Because he combines tons of different sounds and they mesh so well. I bet it's his DJ background.

I think you can get pretty good results with the new Melodyne DNA, polyphonic mode. Not amazing but better. Don't think he uses that though, just picking the right samples is my guess.

Also - If you are using Fruity Loops. You can click on the sample and bring up the channel settings. Under time stretching you can click resample and then put "tonal". But be sure to correctly time strech. If you are a beginner then i suggest you try to cut your chops in the presets for the timestretch knob. This is right next to the "resample" tab, to the left. If you right click on the knob that says "time" on it you get a couple of options. I'd advise to try to keep chops to these simple preset times (as in count off beats, just to get yourself in the rhythm) 1 beat, 2 beats, 1 bar, 2 bars, 3 bars, 4 bars. Just 'til you get the hang of it. Not sure what you are using, but let me know if its not FL.

EDIT: Not sure if you are talking about samples from one song, or samples from multiple tracks btw.

Last edited:
younguns: the only way to REALLY do this is to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of music theory. sorry. just is. there are alot of times where samples arent technically in the SAME key in my songs, but they are in a key that coincides w/ the key of the song, due to the harmonic content or intervals used.

best place to start would be to realize that every sample is in a key of some sort. start by finding the root of the "main" chord, or the note that sounds like "home" if you will. do it with a bassline.

The last two posts have very good points, but the whole thread is good too though. I know from using Fruity that getting samples in the same key is related to pitch... yeah, it's music theory. Gotta know the scale, sound the notes out, figure out what's what, match them up, and get on that chord knowledge. It's a process but everything is though.

Back