Is your name copyrighted when you copyright your songs ???

I copyrighted some songs of mine through copyright.gov and i was wondering if my name is being copyrighted as well or is that something that has to be done somewhere else ?

Do you mean the name of your song or songs? Do you mean Paris Davidson, Jr.? Do you mean your band or DJ/Producer/Songwriter name, or your business entity???

These are all different, and it's hard to answer with the vague wording of your question...

In brief-- The names of songs are not generally "copyrightable." The music (harmony and melody) and lyrics are, as is the individual recording/master recording itself. But not the name (which is why there are so many songs with the same or very similar sounding names).

As to your business name, it depends on which you're talking about. There are corporations, incorporations, LLC's, and DBA's. As to federal and international copyright protection for names, logos, and the like, they are not submitted for copyright, but rather for trademark
or servicemark (tm or sm).

As to your given name, if someone else legally has the same or similar, or wants to legally change their name to Paris Davidson, Jr., they may do so, and do business in the same way you do. But there are possible protections, if you feel (and more importantly can prove) that they are impinging on or negatively impacting your business in some way. This would involve a lawsuit and charges of "restraint of trade," "unfair competition," or maybe even slander or libel or defamation, depending on the situation.

It all gets pretty tricky, and for clarification and disclaimitory purposes, I will state that I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. Seek competent legal advice.

So, what did you mean when you asked the question???

GJ

you explained it so good haha . but i ment, is my stage name thats put with the songs copyrighted as well, so no one could steal it. but im guessing you have to get it trademarked?

Right; no it would not be. That's for the song(s); it has nothing to do with your name.

If you want to protect your name locally, you'd go to Palmdale city hall or your county government seat, and file DBA papers ("doing business as"). If you want to go major, you'd need to incorporate, or at least file for a service mark (sm) with the LOC.

GJ

Last edited:
No names are no copyrightable nor are they trademarkable. The only thing you can trademark is a good

No Cyko, I said "service mark." That is exactly what one would do. You are correct, "trade mark" is for goods/products. Service marks are for-- services. Like carpet cleaning, or music creation...

GJ

Last edited:
Back