Your Music is Garbage

CeasarBeats

CeasarBeats
today I want to talk about something everyone hates. Rejection. As creative people, no matter how much we say nobody else's opinion matters, to some degree it does matter to us. And nothing hits your heart harder than putting your blood, sweat, and tears into your craft only to have somebody say your music is garbage. I'm sure you may have felt some of those emotions when reading the title of this email lol! And to be clear, your music is NOT garbage lol! But how would you deal with a situation like that?

Everybody Will NOT Like You
As humans, we have a natural desire to be favored amongst our peers. This starts at childhood and never really ends. This is especially true when speaking of our abilities. Being recognized for your skills is an awesome and very encouraging feeling! But , no matter how nice you are, no matter how humble you are, no matter how generous you are, no matter how awesome your music is, everybody will NOT like you! There will always be somebody somewhere that totally dislikes you AND your music. This is just the way things are and there's no getting around it! Most times people define this dislike as "hating" and there are some people who do "hate" out of jealousy or envy. But, some people just genuinely don't vibe with you and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you know people or artists that you don't vibe with. The sooner you accept that, the easier it will be to take harsh criticisms such as someone saying your music is garbage. Expecting some people to NOT like you or your music is the first step.

Last edited:
Getting recognition boosts serotonin levels which boosts confidence. If you only got positive recognition or only paid attention to the positive attention and considered the people against you to be wrong and stupid you would become an arrogant ass. Look at Kanye.

Getting recognition boosts serotonin levels which boosts confidence. If you only got positive recognition or only paid attention to the positive attention and considered the people against you to be wrong and stupid you would become an arrogant ass. Look at Kanye.
...or Ornette Coleman, or Miles Davis, or Frank Zappa, or Jaco Pastorius, or Prince, or....
I rather listen to the music of an arrogant *******, almost always bound to be interesting. Too many people confuse "vision" and "artistic conviction" with arrogance. If your creative vision can too easily be swayed by negative feedback, perhaps it just wasn't meant to be realized in the first place.

...or Ornette Coleman, or Miles Davis, or Frank Zappa, or Jaco Pastorius, or Prince, or....
I rather listen to the music of an arrogant *******, almost always bound to be interesting. Too many people confuse "vision" and "artistic conviction" with arrogance. If your creative vision can too easily be swayed by negative feedback, perhaps it just wasn't meant to be realized in the first place.

I was talking about balance to keep you humble. Arrogance increases creativity because your not afraid to make mistakes but if you can't make mistakes then you can go too far experimenting, like yeezus with Kanye...

I think no one wants to see that side of the angle, however the buyer or the listener with tell you the truth always, but its still all based on opinion.

I once worked with a guy who had a $1.2 publishing deal on the table. His previous profession was to make presets for a popular hardware rack module. He was also a close friend of my older brother. He sourced me to join the project as a musician and talent coordinator.

Even though his experience in sound design got him the offer, his beats SUCKED. Now this was not my personal judgment. Every talented artist I took our beats to hated his, and wanted to work with mine (or anyone else's but his). This created tension that I did not want between us. So I was reluctant to push my work forward...and with good reason. He became so disgruntled, that instead of using a few of my tracks, he asked me for the standard midi files. Now...my hardware instrument and software arsenal was way ahead of his...so it was both an insult and counter productive to replace my sounds with his dated rom sounds. BUT, I was thinking more about the big picture...so I sent him 5 tracks in midi format. Some other strange activities occurred with him and the artists, then somewhere during that 2 month timeframe, I think he had a meltdown. He could not meet the deadline, and lost the deal. He never mentioned it after that. Now he's a security guard. :sigh:

So whats worst than having garbage music? DENIAL!

Last edited:
this is perfect timing for me to come across this post, today a local artist in my town asked me to check out one of his new songs. He complimented my on my beats and asked if i could let him know when i listened to it. I listened to his track and did not find anything at all that i liked about it. How do i let this person know without being to harsh on him? its not that i just wasn't vibing with it, the flow was not great, nor the beat. i can tell he put a lot of effort into it and thinks its good, but in my opinion it really isn't. Can anyone give me some advice on how to let him know how i really feel? Thank you.

This thread brings to mind the quote by Winston Churchill:
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”

...Moral of the story is that most cant handle the truth. They'll fight it and deny it. And unfortunately if you are the messenger, you might get shot too for delivering the message - so tread lightly my friends...

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some advice on how to let him know how i really feel? Thank you.

Just tell him he needs a new management team...and possibly a new production team as well. If he can't assess the quality of his own music...then he should probably look into another career. If he has good management, they will either train him or drop him.

Back